One Week to Go for Sleeve and chickening out

amatchmaker
on 9/17/15 9:53 am - MD
VSG on 09/24/15

I'll have sleeve surgery on 9/24 and am having doubts.  I'm sure this is typical but I have a few friends that are trying to "talk" me out of it -- or are at least questioning my decision.  I've lost 40 lbs. in 6 months from 261 to 221 so they are saying why not just keeping losing on my own? My response is because I can lose but I can't maintain.  I've yo-yo'ed all my life and want to get healthy.  I'm 55 and have a 12 year old.  I had my knee replaced 6 months ago and am doing things to try to get to take my daughter to Disney World.  

I feel deep down that I'm doing the right thing but have to admit that their statements are kind of getting to me.  

Any thoughts/comments?  Thanks in advance! 

Cari

HW: 301, Beg Wt 276, CW 219

Nic M
on 9/17/15 10:01 am

If you've made your decision and feel good about it, stick to it. 

I had the band and it failed. I regained the weight I lost and now I'm diabetic and have health issues caused by the band. If I could have a "do-over," I'd choose a better surgery and I'd give it my ALL.  If you're serious about getting healthy, you know what steps you need to take to get there. Tell your friends that they should mind their own business and you, as an adult woman, will mind yours. People think they are helping when in reality, they're just adding to the feelings of confusion that is so normal before having surgery.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU!  I hope all goes well! I'm sure it will! 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

amatchmaker
on 9/17/15 10:31 am - MD
VSG on 09/24/15

Thanks! Your thoughts and support are appreciated! 

Neesie57
on 9/17/15 10:36 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

I'm almost the same age as you, 58, and have been losing and gaining weight most of those years.  Maintaining weight loss is much harder than keeping it off, and I'm sure your friends know that. A few people said the same thing to me, "why not just lose on your own."  I didn't let it get to me, because I knew I was doing what was right for me.  Now those same friends are telling me that they wish they had as much discipline as me, and want to follow my lead.  

They'll around to your way of thinking.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 9/17/15 10:01 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Stay strong! There will always be negative nellies out there, but you know what's best for you. I've done the yo-yo thing 1 too many times also, this is the first time where I've lost the weight & I still continue to lose, without my tool I would've gained way b4 now.

Congrats on choosing the sleeve, I'll save a spot for you on the losers bench. 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

amatchmaker
on 9/17/15 10:30 am - MD
VSG on 09/24/15

Thanks so much! Appreciate your thoughts and support. 

Miiko
on 9/17/15 11:02 am

Stick to your guns. Tell them you've made your decision for various reasons and you would like them to respect it. If they choose to not support  your decision, politely ask them to refrain from commenting on it.

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/17/15 11:08 am

at your age (same as mine)  losing to a goal and maintaining with no help from WLs is very unrealistic.. can it be done? sure.. I know 1 person.. and so far she is doing OK.. (2 years) and I know 20 others yo-yo dieting...

I think WLS gives us the edge..  before - I could eat and eat.. even the "good foods" . now - 4 oz of steak and 2 bites of veggies and I am stuffed. So even if I wanted a dessert - there is no way I could eat it... 

WLS gives us what nature gave to skinny people.. a chance ...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

amatchmaker
on 9/17/15 11:27 am - MD
VSG on 09/24/15

Okay, speaking of steak.  I know different doctors do different things.  I would imagine everyone is on a liver cleansing diet two weeks before surgery, i.e, only protein shakes.  What would happen, if for instance, I had a hamburger today? 

kathkeb
on 9/17/15 5:01 am

Ask YOUR doctor.

i had no pre pocket restrictions excepttostop eating by midnight the night before.

Kath

Most Active