One Week to Go for Sleeve and chickening out

ABair
on 9/17/15 1:15 pm
VSG on 01/14/15

Do what is right for you!  I lost 100 pounds a couple times during my life, only to gain it back plus.  I had no problem loosing it was maintaining that I had a hard time.  With my sleeve as a tool and not being able to tolerate sugar, and having to eat much less I am not worried about the regain any longer.  I was sleeved on January 14, 2015 since then I am down 126 lbs.  I was also asked why I was going thru with the surgery since I lost 60 lbs prior.  I explained I was done doing the YO- YO and wanted to become healthy and stay that way.

Good luck and remember do what is right for you!

Lisa 

Eggface
on 9/17/15 5:27 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

Best wishes and peace with whatever decision YOU make. 

Hope this helps a bit: http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2015/09/life- after-weight-loss-surgery-q-a_7.html

Having WLS was the best decision I ever made. 

~Shelly

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

(deactivated member)
on 9/17/15 8:23 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

When I was 18, I lost 80 lbs. Then I plateaued and gained 100.

When I was 24, I lost 80 lbs again. Then I plateaued and gained 100.

During my 7-month pre-op process, I lost 80 lbs again. I had serious doubts about if I wanted to go through with surgery because I'd been successful losing pre-op. But I recognized I had a horrible yo-yo diet history by the time I was 30 -- I could lose weight, but I had years of evidence that I couldn't keep it off. I'm now 8 lbs below my lowest previous post-puberty weight, and I couldn't be happier about my decision to have RNY. I know regain is a real possibility, but I know I've got a better chance at keeping weight off long-term now than I'd ever have without this extra tool.

amatchmaker
on 9/18/15 10:17 am - MD
VSG on 09/24/15

I hear you! Sounds very familiar.  Keep up the good work! 

amatchmaker
on 9/18/15 1:10 pm - MD
VSG on 09/24/15

Hello again Shelly, 

I just read your link and other posts on your blog. I think it's neat that you do this for yourself - - that outlet - - your blog and still cooking.  You're an inspiration. 

alma_olson
on 9/18/15 4:54 am
RNY on 08/18/15

I am 63 years old and am 1 month post op RNY.  I too went from 251 to 225 lbs pre op and many told me that I could do it on my own.  Well I did it on my own probably a dozen times.  Always I would go right back up.  I am glad I had the opportunity to do this.  I feel good and am on a better path.  Follow your heart Cari.

Heavens2Betsy
on 9/18/15 8:25 am
RNY on 02/29/16

Hi!  I'm 55 yrs. old and have a 12 yr. old daughter too!  I've had both knees replaced and I'm on track for WLS (debating sleeve vs. rny right now) in January or Feb. 2016.  Yo-yo dieting is partly what got me here in the first place.  I'm definitely ready to get off that hampster wheel, and nothing has better odds of success than WLS.  I figure I owe it to my daughter - who's overweight too - AND myself to get healthier once and for all and give myself the best chance of success and be a better role model for her too.  Also, for me, this is only happening because I currently have the insurance coverage that will actually pay for the surgery.  There's no guarantee that I'll have this insurance forever, so I feel obligated to take advantage of the benefits that exist now, just in case it's not there later.  I don't want to waste this opportunity.

As they say... don't let the turkeys get you down!    This is your life and your journey!  PS:  I'd be eatin' a burger, but my Dr. doesn't recommend the 2 week liquid thing before surgery.

Age: 55.  5' 8" SW 345 lbs.  RNY on 2/29/16 at UVA w/ Dr. Hallowell.     
Month 1 - 3/29/16: 319 (25 lbs. lost) | Month 2 - 4/27/16: 314 (5 lbs. lost) | 
Month 3 - 5/29/16: 303 (12 lbs. lost) | Month 4 - 6/28/16:  293 (10 lbs. lost)
Month 5 - 7/28/16: 289 (4 lbs lost) | Month 6 - 8/28/16: 282 (7 lbs. lost) |
Month 7 - 9/27/16: 278 (4 lbs lost)

amatchmaker
on 9/18/15 10:25 am - MD
VSG on 09/24/15

So happy to hear from you! I always appreciate it when I hear older moms with weight issues, like myself.  My daughter is overweight, too. Do you mind sharing her height and weight?  I want her to change her eating habits with me but she keeps saying she doesn't like eggs and chicken (although she LOVES Chik-fil-a!) and generally seafood (EXCEPT cream of crab soup!), all of which I'll be eating lots of.  She LOVES beef - - could probably eat burgers and steak for the rest of her life.  

You just reminded me of another reason that I should do this.  The insurance. I have it now, too and don't know what the future holds in that regard.  Did you know that supposedly it costs $40K? Not sure but that's what my nutritionist said.  

What do you think will go into your decision on which surgery you'll have?

Seems like I'm the only one on this all liquid protein shake diet (liver shrinking) thing 2 weeks pre-op! Burger is still calling me but for now I'm saying no successfully.  As I say, take it one day at a time, and if you can't handle 1 day, take it an hour at a time, or even 5 minutes.  I'll get through it.  

This board, just in the last 24 hours has really been great for me! Thanks for your post! 

Heavens2Betsy
on 9/18/15 11:14 am
RNY on 02/29/16

My girl is about 5'6" already and I don't know her weight, but I'd suspect it's somewhere around 165.  She's a pretty picky eater and I've been so depressed for a few years that I haven't been able to focus much on healthy eating, so she's picked up plenty of bad habits.  We do have a children's clinic that offers healthy eating program for children with their family, and I'm going to make an appt. to get us into that program to help us focus together on our future.  I don't want to curse her with a life of obesity, and the only thing I can do is step it up now that I'm feeling better!  (I got on the right meds to help me!)  We hadn't had insurance for the past 5 yrs, and having it now is a HUGE blessing!

I've been leaning toward RNY because of the GERD benefits, but my GERD if very mild and I don't need meds for it, so now I'm thinking the sleeve is a simpler procedure with fewer complications, and both appear to be equally successful for long term WL.  Plus, I hear that with the sleeve you have more of a chance of not feeling hungry at all, which sounds good to me!

Hang in there!  I agree it's really nice to hear from someone so similar to me!!

Age: 55.  5' 8" SW 345 lbs.  RNY on 2/29/16 at UVA w/ Dr. Hallowell.     
Month 1 - 3/29/16: 319 (25 lbs. lost) | Month 2 - 4/27/16: 314 (5 lbs. lost) | 
Month 3 - 5/29/16: 303 (12 lbs. lost) | Month 4 - 6/28/16:  293 (10 lbs. lost)
Month 5 - 7/28/16: 289 (4 lbs lost) | Month 6 - 8/28/16: 282 (7 lbs. lost) |
Month 7 - 9/27/16: 278 (4 lbs lost)

amatchmaker
on 9/18/15 12:52 pm - MD
VSG on 09/24/15

Great message and motivation.  I hope to be able to post soon like you. 

Most Active