Was anyone released on the same day of surgery?

gldnhoney523
on 3/2/14 7:50 am
VSG on 03/03/14

From what I have read most people stayed in the hospital overnight after their surgery, but according to the surgical facility where I am having my procedure, I was advised that 90 - 95% of their patients are released on the same day of surgery. Did you have to stay overnight or were you released the same day?

HW: 303, SW: 284, CW 262.2  M1:-

jessies824
on 3/2/14 8:01 am
VSG on 02/04/14

my center was a mandatory two nights i couldnt imagine coming home the same day they let lap band people out the same day 

freckles1973
on 3/2/14 8:06 am - Canada

Mine was a day surgery which is very common in my neck of the woods. I had the surgery at 8am and was home around 6pm. Patients with co-morbidities along with a severely obese weight and seen as high risk patients..are required to stay overnight in the hospital.

HW : 246 PW:220 SW:208 CW:130

VSG surgery on 09/10/2013 with Dr. Henri Atlas

G5x5
on 3/2/14 8:33 am - VA

A same day discharge isn't really the proper standard of care for this surgery.  After surgery there's a post anesthesia recovery, some monitoring, lab work, and a leak test in the morning.  Theoretically, you could be discharged after the leak test, but your doc would have to give the discharge orders.  They got their own schedule to keep, so don't expect and immediate discharge.

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

pineview01
on 3/2/14 8:41 am - Davison, MI

My center was a mandatory two nights to.  I wish I could have gone home the same day as I would have done much better at home.  With the morning surgeries, they could do the leak test that evening and if everything was I go I'd have been out of there.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

AutumnAlways
on 3/2/14 9:15 am

I also had the mandatory two night stay. It was essential to me in controlling my pain. I was grateful for the recovery time.

VSG on 06/12/13

One night mandatory, but I opted to stay for a second. I was barely back in my room before they sent me down for the leak test.

Laurie

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

sanjali23
on 3/2/14 9:40 am - Orlando, FL
VSG on 02/12/14

2 nights for me and I did not fight it. Dilaudid (sp) is amazing and they only give it there 

Success is getting what you want, happiness is wanting what you get. ”

— Dave Gardner

MAchick
on 3/2/14 9:55 am
VSG on 01/27/14

I stayed for three nights. Surgery on Monday morning,  Then went home Thursday afternoon. They kept me an extra night because I was having some low fevers. 

ofears
on 3/2/14 10:10 am - north lauderdale, FL
VSG on 02/06/14

you are suppose to stay at least one day mandatory. after surgery the next morning they are suppose to check your gi to make sure there are no leaks before you start to drink liquids and to make sure you can keep them down before you leave I would not let some one perform major surgery on me and they are in such a hurry to send me home with out keeping an eye on me first. if I was you I would talk to your dr. to find out how long you will stay and talk to other patients of his plus visit the hospital floor that you will be staying on to see how the staff is you want to make sure you are well taken care of. when you have surgery I pray it goes well for you and I hope this response helps you take care. I had the sleeve and my dr. kept me 2days the first day I could not eat or drink  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 258 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 324 views