Really? A size 8 at 200 pounds?? WARNING: Clothing size rant

SleevedLife
on 11/14/12 2:02 am, edited 11/14/12 2:04 am

I've vented before here about the issues clothing size.  We all know how sizes have grown significantly in the past few decades - a six today was the twelve of ten years ago, etc..   OK... well.... fair warning.  This is a vent and rant about clothing sizes that is sure to make me look like  petty, jealous, and ugly person.    But it's honest... and there is something I've learned that I think will stay with me.

First, let me disclose that I wear a 14 or 16 in WOMENs  (not regular sizes... women's plus size).  I'm pleased to be here (for now) because I started at about a 28W or 32W.    I'm 5'6.  I weigh about 215 pounds.  My measurements are currently about  37-32-41.    So... there it is.  That is probably about the most detailed portrait I can paint of my size right now.

So at our support group meeting last night, a woman proudly announced she tried on and fit into a size 8.  She was in almost tears and so thrilled that she was a size 8.  She was going on and on about how she was a size 8 and how awesome that was. She was already at her goal size just seven weeks out of surgery.   We all cheered and gave her support, as of course we should have. 

Well... here's the deal.  She was about three inches shorter than me (so maybe 5'3) and weighed 200 pounds.  She started at 230 and had lost 30 pounds since her RNY surgery seven weeks ago.  And now... she is a size 8. 

Oh, I know that I'm just going to sound like a petty petty ***** when I say this... but my honest deep down reaction was "WTF?!" That is a size 8???  She didn't look small.  I would have assumed she was still shopping in plus sizes (maybe a 14) if I had to guess.  But, no... she was a size 8, dammit, and had determined that she had already reached her goal as far as sizes went. 

Whoa.   Seriously?  Someone with an obese BMI can wear a size 8?   Does anyone else find this completely ****** up?

It made me think two things... One, selfishly, why the hell do I still have to wear a 14W or 16W when this woman that is 3 inches shorter than me and a mere 15 pounds lighter can wear an 8.    And Second, clothing sizes clearly mean ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.  Nothing.    

So my petty *****iness (certainly with a sprinkling of jealously) did lead me to one useful revelation.  I cannot use clothing size to gauge my progress.  It doesn't mean squat.  Clothing size (at least for women) should NOT be used as goal posts. Body fat, measurements, weight... those are fine.  Clothing sizes, though, are completely and utterly meaningless.  I'm just going to keep buying the clothes that feel comfortable and look good. Forget the number on the tag.  It's worthless. 

OK, rant over.   Thanks for listening.  I hope someone understand this.  My (inside) emotional reaction admittedly seemed a bit extreme, I was way more annoyed than I should have been.  But outwardly I was nothing but smiles and applause for this woman.  I just hope that she doesn't stop trying to lose weight because she already hit her goal size. 

Nutshell:

Lost 140 lbs with VSG. (Hooray!!)

got pregnant  (yeaaaa!)  

got cancer (boooo!)

regained 40 lbs.   (grrrr!)

In summary: Alive & Grateful.   

nieba
on 11/14/12 2:08 am - Rialto, CA
VSG on 09/04/12 with

I would've had the same reaction you did. I started at 288 (5' 10") wearing between 22/24 and 2x/3x. I have been finding XL in misses lately (60 lbs lighter) and the pants only down to 18. BUT...what is getting me is my bra size. When I measure, I should have been down to a 40 DD (or DDD) by now. But NO! I am only at a 42 DDD and even that is questionable. I agree that sizes don't mean squat. However, I still like seeing the smaller numbers come up. Not to mention leaving the Women's section!

Jennifer B.
(Can't wait to meet the new me!)

HW: 288  SW: 270.2   CW: 199.8  GW: 170-180   Hgt: 5'10" 

Shagdoll
on 11/14/12 2:13 am

She's 5'3, weighs 200 pounds & wears a size 8?  Dang, I am right there with you in that thinking... and she didn't even look like an 8?  Not to be mean but did she try on a pair of stretchy cotton lycra pants?  I don't get it.  I had to be close to a normal BMI to fit into my size 8's.

I will admit, I was one of those people who wanted to stop losing when I hit a size 6 but your post is making me re-consider the whole clothing size because you are right on.  It's just a # on a clothing size and anyway... some stuff we can fit into are smaller or bigger depending on brands & such.  My awesome Armani Exchange jacket is a size large and I wear a size small at Old Navy/Gap/BR ... nuff said.

Jenn  

WWBD?  

SuzanneR
on 11/14/12 2:13 am - Randolph, NJ

My experience has been the exact opposite. I am 5 feet 1 and one half inches short and I weigh 140-somethin' and I am a size 12. Sometimes I am a medium...sometimes a large. Just bought a bunch of work clothes at Dress Barn and they're all 12s. Now I will tell you I am 55 years old and maybe my body shape shifted since the last time I weighed this little (and I am sure it did) because I was a size 8-10 at this weight in the mid 80's depending on who was making the clothes. When i was 120 lbs back then I was a size 4 and they were loose. I also think I will drop a size when i go for my tummy tuck, just haven't decided when I'll do it because I'm not at goal yet.

Happy Gurl
on 11/14/12 2:15 am
VSG on 10/26/12

Yeah stretch pants!!

HW: 390, HbandW: 340, LbandW:237,

HsleeveW: on 10/27/12:270, CW: 167:) GW: 175 :))))

M1:22, M2:16, M3:10, M4:9, M5:8, M6: 9, M7: 8, M8: 6, M9: 3, M10: 4

pinkjellybean
on 11/14/12 2:17 am - Canada
VSG on 01/25/12

I would say that it was some kind of stretch pants.  As an example I am pretty solidly in a size 14 at 5'8 and 190 pounds....however I can easily fit into a size Medium or size 10 stretchy yoga pant.

SURGERY at Toronto Western Hospital - VSG JANUARY 25th, 2012!!

5'9 - HW - 390 SW - 368.8  GW - 150

BrendaR1965
on 11/14/12 2:18 am - OH
VSG on 10/23/12

totally understand the rant.  there is a clothing store for overweight women that sells clothing that is sized like that.   she probably shops there, if not, maybe she needs glasses and didn't see the 1 in front of that 8 (18).  i am 5'2 and weigh 205 and i assure you i am not a size 8, wishful thinking though...

slatond
on 11/14/12 5:02 am

Ur response made me chuckle cause that was EXACTLY what I was thinking... "She needs glasses and it was size 18." I'm 5'2" and 179# and I'm still no where NEAR a size 8. I am in 16's.

BrendaR1965
on 11/15/12 2:12 am - OH
VSG on 10/23/12

lol...glad to make you chuckle...looks like everyone had the same thoughts...lol

(deactivated member)
on 11/14/12 2:18 am
VSG on 06/04/12

I would have felt the same way. I was in a size 13 juniors when I was 14 years old (12 years ago). I am in an 11 juniors now, and I weigh 25 lbs more and have a generous panni to boot. It actually kind of deflates my feelings of victory when I think about it. 

I'm 5'6" and weigh 169, and I'm not squeezing into an 8 for what I'd guess is another 15-20 lbs. and I'm not especially bottom heavy. I think she's full of it, but I get the whole every body is different thing. Ultimately though the only thing I use clothes to gauge is that fact that I'm losing.  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 90 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 310 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 358 views