Post-surgery hunger w/1 pound weight GAIN?!

CarlyFJM
on 6/6/12 3:12 am - WESTLAKE, OH
VSG on 05/18/12
Hey guys -

I had VSG surgery about 2 1/2 weeks ago (May 18) - I was told that I shouldn't feel hungry after surgery, but I do.  It's a different kind of hunger feeling, but it still exists.  The other strange thing is that when I weighed myself one week, I was 221 lbs, but then a few days later, I was 122!  I've been afraid to weigh myself since then.

I'll be honest - I'm SUPPOSED to be on soft foods now, but I've progressed a little bit quicker and I'm eating a variety of things.  I just felt like my body could handle it.  Don't get me wrong; I'm not eating fried foods or crazy sweets or anything, but I will have a little bit of pasta or crackers or ice cream.  I eat about 1/4 cup at a time (mainly protein), and that fills me up, but I don't know how much overall I should be eating.  The book my surgeon gave me suggested eating 1/4 cup every 2 hours, but I feel like that's a lot of food.

I know I'm rambling, but I'm just freaked out.  So many people told me that after surgery, I'd hardly be able to eat anything, but I haven't had ANY trouble getting in my protein and fluids.  I just don't know what to do.  My one friend (who had gastric bypass) said that my body is just adjusting and because it's getting in such little food, it's just trying to hold on to what it can.  Which makes sense, but I don't want to assume that's true and keep eating too much.

Overall, I know I made a mistake by moving on to "regular" foods so fast, but I'm still eating small portions (and getting in the required protein and water).  Should I go back to liquids and pureed foods, should I keep doing the same thing, should I call my nutritionist and tell her I screwed up my eating?  Have I stretched out my stomach already?!  GAH PLEASE HELP.  I just want to know what you all went through and if this is normal.

Thanks for listening!!!!
Cheers,
Carly F.J.M.

tSqrD3
on 6/6/12 3:21 am - PA
VSG on 02/27/12
i think at this point your main focus should be getting the liquid and protein that you need. I think pasta and crackers may not be the way to go so early since your only 2.5 weeks out. i think its best to stick to the diet they assign you and follow dr orders. Im not so sure about ice cream either b/c of the sugar. talk to your dr about it. And the weight will come off before you know it :) Good luck!
Im trying...   

jennergirl
on 6/6/12 3:23 am - OR
VSG on 05/30/12
I'm sorry to hear you are struggling so early on, but I believe the answer is:  return to plan immediately.  I'm one week out today and would kill for some cottage cheese (who'd have thunk that!)!!  I have felt hunger since about day 3 and I do find that eating every 2 hrs (protein shake, yogurt, fortified soup, etc.) helps significantly.  My stomach seems to be able to hold about 1 C liquid.  I drink water to try and resolve the 'hunger' if it happens between meals.  If it doesn't, I have about 2 oz of milk and move on.  I'm not sure if this is helpful, but I want you to be happy & healthy for a long time to come.

Your statement concerns me that you may be making excuses to eat exactly the foods that got us all the point of surgery.  I am not judging you at all, just making an observation.  Make sure you discuss all of this with your surgeon/nut so they can help you be more successful going forward.    Do you go to your surgeon's support group meetings?  I think it helps to have the real person experience!

Good luck!!!!

collegefootballmom79
on 6/6/12 3:23 am - Hutto, TX
VSG on 10/05/10 with
It's very important to follow the VSG plan on eating at this early stage.  You can still damage your incision and cause alot of problems.  At 2 weeks I was still on clear liquids then I was able to move onto full liquids (strained creamed soups, applesauce..etc.)  You said you're having pasta, crackers and ice cream?  Those are very high in carbs and to this day I still don't eat them.  I don't mean to hurt your feelings but you have got to get away from the carbs and concentrate on protein.  You can have a couple small bites of those foods later.  It takes 6 weeks for your stomach to complete heal.  The sleeve is a wonderful tool for us, but it does demand respect.

justmest
on 6/6/12 3:50 am - Canada
VSG on 05/21/12
I am pretty sure that your surgeon's plan doesn't call for Ice Cream, Crackers or Pasta at this stage. I had my surgery May 21, and I wouldn't dream of putting either of those things in my mouth.
I am drinking water as much as I can, and getting in protein shakes so that I have enough protein to heal from this surgery. Carbs are just not on the radar for a VSG patient who wants to lose weight. Go back over your program and start back from the beginning, you are not doing yourself any favors. I know that's not what you want to hear, but we have to start somewhere, and healing is the first process. Healing from surgery, then from all the years of damage that we have done to our selves mentally!
I really hope you are able to get back on plan, and start back to 2oz or 1/4 cup of pureed food like you should be on at this stage.
Referal weight 265, surgery date weight 243, ticker is all post op loss so add 22 to ticker loss

CarlyFJM
on 6/6/12 3:54 am - WESTLAKE, OH
VSG on 05/18/12
I definitely understand what you all are saying, and I appreciate your feedback!

Just to clarify, 90% of what I eat is protein (chicken, tuna, cheese, etc).  I don't want you all to think that I'm just throwing caution to the wind and eating mainly carbs!  I keep a log of everything I eat, and how much protein is in each serving.  I make sure I reach my goal everyday (my doc said 60g of protein, 60oz of liquids).

According to my doctor's rules, I should be on soft foods now, and that's mainly what I eat.  I have chicken with mozzerella cheese, or ricotta with a smashed meatball and some tomato sauce, or a little bit of tuna salad, and so on.  If I was eating totally normal food (like pre-surgery) I would understand the weight fluctuation.  Don't get me wrong, I've DEFINITELY made some mistakes!!!  But something just seems off to me.

I already planned to get back on track and just eat soft foods like the doctor said, but I'm still not sure how MUCH I should eat.  Like I said, the book he gave me mentioned 1/4 cup every 2 hours, but that seems like a lot of food.  What do you guys eat in your soft food phase?
Cheers,
Carly F.J.M.

collegefootballmom79
on 6/6/12 4:07 am - Hutto, TX
VSG on 10/05/10 with
Scrambled eggs with cheese, cottage cheese, egg salad, refried beans with cheese, just to give a few ideas.

EliseG
on 6/6/12 4:16 am - MA
Damn, I wish I could go from 221 to 122 in a few days...

Sorry just had to. You've gotten good advice from the other posters already.

slatond
on 6/6/12 4:18 am, edited 6/6/12 4:21 am
I am only 9 days post op.... but wanted to address weight fluctuations. I was weighed last Tues after surgery @ 236 ( cause you gain a little w/ surgery 5-10lbs per Dr.) and last Mon I weighed 220 so down 16 lbs in 1 wk ... w/ 7 of that being the surgery wt. But then today I was back up 1 or 2.

I am still on liquids so not really feeling like I gained. ( actually feel smaller 2day). I think it could be due to body adjusting. I was trying to get more water in so might be retaining a little. Weighed at a different time. I was also having issues w/ knees since I might have been using them more on up and down movements instead of stomach muscles. So I took an anti-inflam med.. Might have caused water retention 2??? Also know the soup I had yesterday was higher in sodium than I've been eating.....Who knows exact cause... But I know I am following the diet /logging it in My Fitness Pal. So the weight will come back off.

So what I plan to do ( or will try to do) is not become slave to the scale. I am going to only weigh 1 x / week so I don't see these minor fluctuations. And keep following the post op diet plan.

Sounds like you are doing GREAT!

JV_ladybug
on 6/6/12 4:21 am - San Antonio, TX
VSG on 04/10/12
 At this point, your body is trying to heal & your stomach is trying to figure out what the heck happened. I am almost two months out (I'm by no means a pro or anything), but at 2 1/2 weeks out, I was still eating liquids (98% FF cream soups, etc). Yes, it was hard to stick to my doctor's plan & I thought I could handle something more "normal", but I didn't stray from his plan. As far as pasta, crackers and ice cream, I'd stay away from it. Not just because they are simple starches that we definitely don't need, but because it might make me revert back to old habits. The same old habits that made me get this surgery. We all got this surgery to help us maintain a healthier lifestyle. You don't need any of that bad stuff :)

As far as the slight weight gain, it could be a number of things. Are you very physical (walking, using a treadmill/elliptical, etc)? It could be that you've also hit the infamous three week stall. It's normal. Just follow your doc/nut's plan & you'll be on the right track.

Good luck and keep us updated!

Starting: 284. Op Day: 264. Current: 185.80. Goal: 180.
Main goal: To be able to take the "morbidly" out.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 363 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 407 views