Recent Posts

Pam Davis
on 4/1/10 10:23 pm - Franklin, TN
Topic: Men's Group MEETS SATURDAY 4/3 at Centennial
Time: 10-11 AM
Location: Centennial Center for the Treatment of Obesity, 2200 Murphy Avenue (Tace Building), Nashville
Moderator: This group is facilitated by Dr. Charles Ihrig and meets on the first Saturday of each month at 10:00 a.m. We are happy to offer a group just for the guys.

As a reminder all of our seminars, support groups and preop classes have been added to the event schedule on the OH site.

Thank you,
Pam Davis, Certified Bariatric Nurse, Bariatric Program Director
Centennial Center for the Treatment of Obesity
Join our Message Board -
Click here!
Follow us on Facebook -
Click here!
We're on Twitter -
Click here!

melsreturn
on 4/1/10 10:13 pm - Madison, TN
Topic: RE: Something fun for the IDGOMB group
Hi, Bob.  It is good to see you.  I haven't seen you on in quite a while...  hope you are doing well.

melsreturn
on 4/1/10 10:12 pm - Madison, TN
Topic: RE: ATTN: Dr. Hugh Houston (of Centennial)'s Patients
I would advise you to google each surgery, read all you can on the different types, peruse the different forums by surgery type here on Obesity Help, ask questions....  when you meet with him, you should have an idea of what complications can arise from each, and pretty much once you start doing the research, I think a lightbulb moment usually occurs for each person of which procedure they want.  He will go over each with you, and while he won't tell you "THIS is the one you need", he will give recommendations,.  If he doesn't give a recommendation, ask him which type.  He will tell you.

Ronda S.
on 4/1/10 10:01 pm - Cookeville, TN
Topic: RE: Sniffles is having surgery today - 3/30/10. Will post updates here.

Hope her recovery is smooth and easy. Congrats SNIFFLES.

Ronda S. 

HW262//CW 122
  140lbs lost !
5"6 Tall

Ronda S.
on 4/1/10 9:59 pm - Cookeville, TN
Dr. Houston is a great surgeon, and an easy person to talk to. I  LOVE him to death. Now depending on your bmi, he will discuss with you the different surgeries. Yes, he wants people to be totally informed on the DS surgery. This surgery has different long term aftercare. I believe if your bmi is pretty high he will go toward RNY. He won't do the DS unless you have researched it and know all about the malabsorbtion. Vitamins are a must the rest of your life. It's a great surgery, I was under my goal in 91/2 mths.
He will help you and he will discuss both of the surgeries with you.
You will LOVE the whole staff. They are great. Let me know what you decide. I'm really excited for you, and your decision to have WLS.

Ronda S. 

HW262//CW 122
  140lbs lost !
5"6 Tall

lithium
on 4/1/10 8:05 pm - bluff city, TN
Topic: RE: MEDICAID AND MEDICARE SURGEONS LIST!
my very first dr for surgery was dr raymond compton. he moved from johnson city, tn to paris and is excellent he is also a cardio surgeon as well.. these posts seem to be quite old but ust incase i know dr compton is awesome and i love him and had he not moved away i would hve had surgery back in 2000 instead of 2010

peace
cyndie
lithium
on 4/1/10 7:59 pm - bluff city, TN
Topic: RE: MEDICAID AND MEDICARE SURGEONS LIST!
i have medicare and it took me 13 years of fighting with private insurance until i became disabled, got medicare and my dr who is my angel who i know has saved my life is Dr, Andrew P Kramer. he is in kingsport, tn Kramer, Andrew DO - Surgical Associates-Kingsport

his phone number is 423-224-5699.. he has a special office behind holsten valley hospital where he does his weight loss surgery stuff and see patients there. i do not know the address you will need to call the office but this guy is a complete angel from heaven and he has had the surgery himself and the fact that he takes medicare shows me he is not in it for the money like Dr. watson in Johnson City, Tn is. i have read on this site that dr kramer has an attitude and no bedside manor but with me he was a sweet angel and understands me and seemed to understand the urgency i had because i have been trying to get the operation for so many years. i did all the classes he required and psych eval and one support group meeting and when i was finished with all that i got a surgery date in less than a week and i thank God for him. i had surgery on march 16th and i already feel better and i have more health problems than i can even list and i have 16 precription meds im suppossed to take. i have bad lungs and a bad heart and this man was brave enough to take a chance on me because he compasionate and he knew as well as i do in another year or so i would for sure be dead from another stroke or heart attack. i was only in the hospital 2 days and i believe if this guy can do laproscopic on me he could probably do it on a whale cuz i was 465lbs 5 feel 3 inches and all my fat is in my belly and upper area..

if this was too much info feel free to edit it. i don't know about medicaid but as of march 16th 2010 he did take medicare cuz he took me :-)
k9ophile
on 4/1/10 5:41 pm
Dr. Houston responds to well reasoned and thought out questions.  He also listens to why you may prefer one surgery over another.  Just my preference, but no way did I want a band so that wasn't even an option for discussion.  He will take the time to answer any questions you have about either surgery.  I don't imagine any surgeon likes a totally uninformed patient, but that isn't the case with you.  Spend a little time on the boards for the lapband and RNY and make your list of questions.  Check out surgery sites for more factual data and make your list of pros and cons.  You've got a few days before the 13th and it's not like you have to be 100% sure of anything.  That's why it's a consult.  You may want to take some time to think about what he tells you and do some more research then make another appointment.  He'll be OK with that.  Just be honest with him.  Like many docs, he's got a real good BS detector.  Honest confusion is better than blustering BS.  Unlike many docs, he really takes his time to listen and teach.

"Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us."  Stephen Covey

Don't litter!  Spay or neuter your pet

Bob L.
on 4/1/10 4:30 pm - Clarksville, TN
Topic: RE: Something fun for the IDGOMB group
Hey Trina give me a call I lost your number.

bekkiamberbethmarie
on 4/1/10 2:58 pm
Topic: ATTN: Dr. Hugh Houston (of Centennial)'s Patients

Hello everyone!

I go for my consultation with Dr. Houston on April 13th and I'm starting to get a tad bit nervous. I'm beginning to feel like maybe I'm not educated enough to know which surgery is right for me. I had plans of coming up with a pros & cons list of every surgery to take with me to the consultation but I'm having difficulty. I'm worried that some of my reasons aren't good reasons. For instance, the RNY and the Lap Band don't appeal to me anymore because I have read about too many people on here that have had problems with those surgeries. With the band slipping or eroding their stomachs and I've seen lots of profiles of RNY patients that had a revision. And I don't like that. But I don't know. Maybe I'm not getting the right information.  I'm just worried that Dr. Houston will think I haven't educated myself enough to be ready for WLS. Because, is "I saw too many people online with problems from this surgery." really a good enough reason for a surgeon? Don't they usually want the facts? I don't know. Anyway, my real reason for writing this entry is because I'm curious to know what Dr. Houston expects of his patients when they come for a consultation. Does he expect them to come armed with knowledge? Does he expect them to come knowing what they want? Because honestly, I just don't know what I want anymore.

As always, any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

I am 20 years old.
I'm 5'8" tall.
My highest weight was 444lbs. 
I weighed 409 lbs on the day of surgery.
I had the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy procedure performed on June 1st, 2010.
168 lbs lost since surgery, nine months ago.
***Ticker reflects weight loss since heaviest weight***
Most Active
Recent Topics