Starting to get told I'm "going to disappear"

(deactivated member)
on 10/7/15 8:19 am
RNY on 05/04/15

I certainly hope to get there! I've been losing and regaining the same pound for 2 weeks now.

Sarah M.
on 10/7/15 5:47 am

Just my two cents.

I think some of these responses are putting our issues on other people when I think most people are trying to give a compliment. The people saying these things probably don't know you are struggling with a stall or have fears of not making your goal. To respond as if they did know and are trying to hurt/offend seems like an over reaction. Yes I do just smile and say thanks. After all I'm sure I have made hurtful comments when I didn't mean to and I'm grateful when it is just excepted as well-meaning.

Dartmouth
on 10/7/15 4:17 pm - United Kingdom
RNY on 05/20/14

Congratulations on loosing all that weight!

I have lost over 140 lbs in the last year and a half and am 45 lbs below my surgeons prediction.....even he said I was too thin....and this is what I said to him and any one else who says I am too thin:

At 67 years old, my BMI is right in the middle of normal, I feel terrific and am more active than I have been for 30 years, my family and most friends are excited and supporting me every day......I eat 1400-1500 calories a day, put protein first, eat veg and even some carbs....and an occasional treat.

Even my surgeon (who is now a good friend) apologised! I told him he should have asked me how I was feeling......that is the most important thing!

Good luck to you...you will loose what you need to for you, not other people.

joan

Adirondackmom
on 10/8/15 6:54 am

This by far is my most frustrating thing about my weight loss. Still 3 years later people still make comments. I just smile and say I enjoy being healthy and happy at this weight. If they press the issue I usually then say I'm at the goal weight set by my dr. I've worked very hard. Thank you for noticing. What frustrates me is anyone who has met me after my surgery at this current weight thinks nothing of it, they do not think I am to skinny. I really think it's the contrast of fat girl to skinny girl. I've also had people assume I'm sick (like cancer) I've just learned to take it all in stride. I mean really who goes around telling a size 4 omg your too skinny? When I was a size 22 they didn't say hey you're too fat!!

(deactivated member)
on 10/8/15 8:23 am
RNY on 05/04/15

Glad I'm not alone! Just this morning I was working with my boss to collect the department's jacket sizes for some pullovers we're ordering for our upcoming appreciation week, and I told her I'm between a medium and large right now so I'd go with the medium so I had it to aspire to -- and I got told that I should probably stop because I'm already looking too thin. WTH? I still weigh 170 lbs! A far cry from 300, but nowhere near "too thin" for 5' 5"!

Adirondackmom
on 10/8/15 9:54 am

I've learned to smile A LOT!. I now wear a size small and you know what? That's ok! I'm smack dab right in the middle of the BMI chart for normal. My weight is a daily struggle for me. I count everything. I earned every ounce of this size small body and I'm so over people making me feel bad about it. It's no different then when it was fat! Do you remember being fat shamed! Thinking how great it would be to be skinny? Ha, right! I had a woman at a nice cream stand tell me to order a large (I order the "baby,baby") because I could use to gain a little! I went back to the car and remember thinking how much I hated going when I was fat because I thought people would look at me and think look at that girl she doesn't need ice cream. What I have come to realize.... People will judge you no matter. Be happy with who you are today.

selhard
on 10/8/15 11:57 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

This may seem minor but one of the things I can now do is open and eat a protein bar in front of whomever I want with no stares, no glares.

Kathyjs
on 10/12/15 7:40 pm

I hear, ' is something wrong' are you ok. Gosh you are so little . I do look much smaller than what the scale says and I don't know

Deanna798
on 10/13/15 5:47 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I was talking with my Chiropractor last night about my weight loss and he asked me what my goal weight was. When I told him 140, he said "but you're going to disappear". It made me think of this thread. It also made me giggle just a little.

As for how you respond, I would just smile and pay them no mind. You don't need to explain your goals

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Most Active
Recent Topics