Emotional roller-coaster!!

Lisa M.
on 6/3/14 6:35 am - Elmira, NY

I will be one post-week out tomorrow. I am having a lot of issues with my emotions. I thought I had a pre-surgery support system, it turns out that has been an epic fail. I go from anger at the people who I thought were going to be there for me to just plain sadness.  Has anyone else dealt with these emotions?

AnnyBananny
on 6/3/14 6:44 am - PA
RNY on 03/18/14

Sorry you're having a rough time! Most of us have experienced some VERY emotional times post-op. You're recovering from major surgery, this is to be expected. Also, as your body burns fat, it is dumping hormones into your system. Women especially experience this "hormone" dump and often find themselves extra moody. It will pass though, I promise!

RNY @ Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia with Dr. Tatyan Clark 3/18/2014

Lisa M.
on 6/3/14 8:50 am - Elmira, NY

Thank you!

tdbull
on 6/3/14 7:00 am - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
Hang in there. Your hormones are all crazy now, and I felt the same way for a few weeks after surgery. I felt I was all alone, and I also felt like I had made the worst decision of my life. Once your hormones get back to normal, and you are feeling more like yourself, your perspective will change. Now, I would do this over again in a heartbeat. Also, use this forum to help and support you. There are great folks, both, newbies, middle of the roads like myself, and vets that can help you along the way. You got this - give yourself a break. One thing that did help me get to feeling better emotionally was just trying to walk, maybe only 5 minutes, and several times a day, in the fresh air. I used to go out in my robe and jammies, just to get some fresh air, move my body a little, and let the sun soak in. Sending you lots of good wishes.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

Lisa M.
on 6/3/14 8:44 am - Elmira, NY

Thank you!

karenp8
on 6/3/14 7:08 am - Brighton, IL

Been there and done that! Most people get very very emotional after surgery. Some of it is from the anesthesia. I used to work in recovery room as a respiratory tech and can say that people are often very emotional just coming out of anesthesia. This moodiness will last for a bit and as the other poster mentioned,as fat breaks down hormones are dumped into your system too,causing mood swings. I promise it will get better though. Hang in there and be kind to yourself. Remember you just had major surgery!

Lisa M.
on 6/3/14 8:50 am - Elmira, NY

Thank you!

jazzycatz
on 6/3/14 7:21 am - Joppa, MD

I'm sorry your support system has not been what you hoped. I will pretty much echo what others have said. You have to remember you just had major surgery. Your body is still in the process of figuring out what happened and how it's supposed to fix itself. And yea, that estrogen stored in your fat is a killer. I was a total ***** the first 3 months. I was also in menopause which didn't help.

Take care of yourself. Keep with us here on the boards and you will find support here. You can do this.

Lisa M.
on 6/3/14 8:43 am - Elmira, NY

Thank you!

Lisa M.
on 6/3/14 8:47 am - Elmira, NY

Thank you!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 321 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 241 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?