Finally post-op!

longhornrose
on 9/16/12 3:58 pm - South Texas
RNY on 09/13/12
Finish pre-op diet.  : : : check: : :
Surgery completed: : : check: : : 
Working on post-op : : :check: : :

It was so good to get home, because I was exhausted!  Hospitals are just not conducive to getting any sleep.  Every time I dozed off, no matter the day or hour, someone came in to do something to me. 

Had a few complications during surgery.  Not sure exactly what part of intestine it was (I was a little out of it when he talked with me), my surgeon said that after he'd cut the intestine and attached it, he took a look around and discovered the tissue below the new incision had just torn away.  He called it "soft" tissue, and said that it was "friable" (or "fryable") (no idea what that means, and no energy to look it up right now.  So he had to go back and fix that.  It added quite a bit of time to my surgery, but he assures me all is well and there shouldn't be a problem in healing.  

I did pretty well in the hospital except that I've had a tough time staying hydrated, and I almost had to stay an extra day because of it.  My blood pressure was really low, and they had to pump me full of fluids to get it back up.  I think I might still be fighting it, because as soon as I got back home, the nausea set in.  I was told that could be a symptom of dehydration, so I've been working really hard to keep sip, sip, sipping.  Although they sent me with a med for nausea, it wasn't doing the trick, so called my surgeon and he changed it.  So far, it seems to be working better than the old one.

What else to report?  Oh, I guess it would be good to tell you I have almost no pain.  Stomach area is kind of tender, and it's a little hard to lay on my left side, although I have been able to do it, if I get "fixed" just right on the bed.    Still working to catch up on my sleep.  So far the longest stretch of time I've been able to sleep is 3 hours, and then my sweet husband woke me up to be sure I was okay!

Absolutely NO hunger.  In fact just the thought of food grosses me out.  Only thing is, my body is telling me it needs fuel!  Interesting finding out the difference between real hunger and head hunger.  Hope I can remember this down the road when actual eating becomes an option.

Okay, I'm pooped now.  No idea if any of this makes any sense.  If it doesn't, sorry!

Beth 

Consult WT: 312   SW274   CW: 244

pwoo10
on 9/16/12 4:02 pm - IN
RNY on 06/06/12
 Glad your home and resting.  Just keep sipping.  I'm 3 months out and get slightly dehydrated and it leaves me tired.  

pcballott
on 9/16/12 4:03 pm
RNY on 11/20/12
Congratulations! 
Amysbrats04
on 9/16/12 4:05 pm - Melbourne, FL
So glad to hear that you are doing well! I have been following your posts  Just remember sip, sip, sip..It will take time..I'm still not even at the reccommended  water intake yet.

Calla Lily
on 9/16/12 4:23 pm
RNY on 01/23/12
Welcome home Beth! Congraats!!!

RNY 01/23/12, HW 265, CW 115, Height 5'6"

gardeninggal
on 9/16/12 4:34 pm - Midland, Canada
 So happy to see you posting your wonderful news!  Congratulations on everything and now the journey really takes form. Rest up and keep getting fluids in and get rid of all that nasty chemical crap.  Give yourself time and yeah now you can have creamed soups, and some variety other than opti fast.  You are so right that hospitals are not for resting.  Rest and recovery is in order

nodid
on 9/16/12 10:18 am, edited 9/16/12 10:18 am
I was encouraged to read how well you are doing.  I am in your area and considered your surgeon, but instead I just had my surgery done on Sept 10 in San Antonio.  I can totally identify with you on so much you've said.  I would love to keep up with you and see how everything goes.  I don't have much support so I am really looking forward to this site helping out.

Angie~

longhornrose
on 9/16/12 7:24 pm - South Texas
RNY on 09/13/12
Hi, Angie ~

Congrats on your surgery!  Glad its past and you (and I) can get on with our lives. 

I'm sorry to hear of your lack of support.  Are you near a support group of any kind?  I know Dr. Patel has a group here in C.C., and of course my doc does too.  Unfortunately, though the group is really good and educational, there isn't a lot of time for getting to know others.  I'd like to see that be added.

I'm fortunate in that my husband and family, as well as my friends are solidly on board with my surgery, so so far, that's been great.  However, they're not really going through this so they just can't know what it's really like.  It would be great for us to support one another through this, especially since we're almost in the same identical stage of recovery.

Hang in there.  I'm hoping that as so many say on here, each day will get better!

Take care,

Beth 

Consult WT: 312   SW274   CW: 244

sharoncarrie
on 9/16/12 5:37 pm - Garland, TX
Happy to hear that you are at home resting comfortably (or at least trying!). Blessings to you for a speedy recovery!!
(deactivated member)
on 9/16/12 6:17 pm - WA
RNY on 08/21/12
Welcome home & get comfy on the losers bench!
Most Active
Recent Topics