What should I be buying now..

nursenaomi85
on 5/5/11 1:20 am - houston, TX
I have a little over a week before surgery. What should i get for the hospital and for my few weeks post op. I have a ton of jello stocked up and some protein from walmart. WHen should I buy vitamins? I have some samples from my doctors office plus some that I have ordered on the net. I want to be prepared as possible.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers
HW:322   CW:180   1st goal: 150    2nd goal:125-130(im a shorty)  

navymom13760
on 5/5/11 1:23 am - Endicott, NY
We all can tell you what you should get but the best decision you can make now is to talk to your NUT.  Follow your NUT & surgeon's plan because each plan is different.  I was on full liquid for 2 weeks then right to soft foods.  No pureed stage.  Also, not every plan wants you taking vitamins right a way or even drinking protien shakes.

Good luck and I know you will do just fine.

I am perfectly content being perfectly UN-perfect

Start Weight 292/Surgical Weight 266/Current Weight 150

katheek
on 5/5/11 1:28 am - Cosmopolis, WA

Well here is a list of things I purchased to have on hand:

Cream Soups (favorite was cream of chicken and I added some basil to it)
Applesauce
SF Puddings-(you have jello)
Measuring cups/spoons
Small 1/2 cup containers
A food scale
A blender

Couple other helpful hints:
You won't need much in the hospital, I didn't even wear the pj's I brought but I was only in there a total of 36 hours.  I slept alot.  Everytime I went to text someone I fell asleep so that was pointless but do bring your phone, no laptop.  I understand patients love to bring chapstick.

Hopefully your vitamins will be on hand when you get home.  Also think about joining a weight loss journal site.  I use fitday.com.  I track all the food I eat plus my exercise. 

Congrats to you.

KATHEE K

nursenaomi85
on 5/5/11 1:37 am - houston, TX
I have a schedule my doctor gave me of the food stages. I never thought of a food journal I think that would help tremendously. I am ordering my vitamins tomorrow.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers
HW:322   CW:180   1st goal: 150    2nd goal:125-130(im a shorty)  

(deactivated member)
on 5/5/11 1:52 am - SC
Things I needed in the hospital:
My own water bottle.  I'm incredibly anal about drinking from cups other people have touched.  So I brought my own reusable bottle.
Pillow-hospital pillows suck, plain and simple.  I have a Pillow Pet and took him to the hospital.  It was a huge help having that to hold against my abdomen when I coughed or sat up.
Bedroom slippers- I don't like the grippy socks so I brought my own shoes
Chapstick
Face wipes-  You may not be able to shower at first and you're going to feel gross.  I know I did.  I brought these http://www.soap.com/products/Yes-to-Cucumbers-Face-Cleansing-Towelettes-68340  They felt AMAZING after having had surgery
Lotion- my skin dried out horribly in the hospital
Comfy clothes to wear home.  I wore sweats and a t-shirt home.  You don't want jeans or anything that will rub against your tummy

Things I needed the first week home:

Jello
Crystal Light
Mio Drink Enhancer- I love the sweet tea flavor satisfies that craving for real tea
Sugar Free Popscicles-  These are absolutely amazing. http://www.phillyswirl.com/sweetdelites.html They are dairy free and my NUT said they were fine on clear liquids.  
Centrum Chewables
Campbells Soup at Hand-  I just drank the broth and not the noodles, but the broth is really good and pretty low in sodium
Protein!  If you haven't found a flavor you like yet I'd order tons of samples.  Your tastes may change a bit after surgery too so if you like it now you may not after surgery.  Fortunately, I only had that happen with 1 flavor.

One thing I wasn't prepared for was the fact that I gained so much water weight in the hospital.  They pump you full of fluids so you may go home heavier than you left.  It took me a week and a half before I started losing.  Don't get discouraged if that happens to you!  Just make sure to drink, drink, drink.  Also if you have a hard time with water.  Try it at different temps.  No one told me that, but I've found I can't drin**** cold water anymore.  It has to be room temp.  

Good luck next week! 
Mary Catherine
on 5/5/11 1:56 am
 The best thing I purchased before surgery was the Magic Bullet.  It was wonderful for the pureed stage.  It was wonderful for protein shakes.  I wore out two of them in three years.
beatrice00
on 5/5/11 3:32 am - NY
RNY on 04/10/12 with
Get cream soups, V8 original, a food chopper and a small strainer for the soups. I used my tea leaves strainer. Buy soy milk or fat free milk, Dannon light & Fit yogurt or the Dannon diabetic yogurt, SF popsicles, broth, crystal light. I did not take any vitamins until I saw my doctor one week after I got out of the hospital.

Joya
on 5/5/11 3:39 am
This post was very helpful to me... THANK YOU!  I'm having surgery on Monday and freaking out a bit.  THANKS AGAIN!
Firefly48
on 5/6/11 10:34 am
I found it hard to get all tha****er into me as a  lot of people do...one of the best things I do each day now is fill a couple bottles of water half full and freeze them.

Then during the day I fill with water and sip from it, the water stays cold for a long time. I keep a few at work in our freezer in the break room so I always had really cold water which is so much easier for me to sip. Plus drinking from the bottle limits how much I candrink at once so I take sips like I am supposed to!

Best of luck to you!

kimtres
on 5/5/11 3:54 am - Doha, Qatar
If you live alone, I'd buy one of those long-handled picker-uppers.  I wished I'd had that.  I'm 19 days post-op and I still have a hard time bending over to pick things up.  On the bright side, my toes have really gotten a workout! 

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 321 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 242 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 302 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 75 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 75 views