7+ years out and NOW I have TERRIBLE gas!

Debbie P.
on 7/31/13 3:48 am - Kettering, OH

I have had typical issues since my DS surgery (i.e. low iron, low vitamin D, etc.) but I never got the issues with gas/bloating, etc. no matter WHAT I ate.  It just was a non-issue. 

So -- here I am over 7 years out, and something is just not right.  I blow up like a balloon at times and it is incredibly uncomfortable (I notice the bloating is BAD when I am in a situation where I cannot release that gas in a normal fashion!!).  And releasing the gas doesn't seem to help as I just fill up again and again and again.

At first, I tried figuring out what was triggering this.  I cannot find food triggers at all.  It happens if I drink water and it is DAILY now.  So then I tried an over the counter probiotic.  Small improvement after a few weeks, but not enough of an improvement.  I also try gas-X type of pills.  Nothing is getting me back to normal.

So do I need to see my doc?  I was hoping to put it off until my yearly check up -- but that is a few months away and I'm getting married in 6 weeks (and going on a cruise) ...... so perhaps I am stressed and that is what started this. 

Any advice out there??

Debbie ~

dustycroy
on 7/31/13 5:20 am
DS on 05/14/13

Do you take probiotics?  Even if you do, maybe you just did a round of Flagyl....  Im a newbie, it will be interesting to see what the vets say....Good Luck....

enlightened HW 372 SW 350 CW 185 GW 150 Lost 187 so far....

Debbie P.
on 7/31/13 5:39 am - Kettering, OH

I am still taking probiotics.  They don't seem to be doing much.  Been taking for about 3 weeks.  Sure wish the doc would just call in some Flagyl without me having to go in .... difficult for me to *take off work* because I do daycare (run my own business) ...

booklish
on 7/31/13 5:45 am - NY

I have been having terrible gas problems. In my case, it comes out as burping, and is occasionally bad enough to interfere with my breathing. I still haven't had my surgery, and I know that this is related to some drugs I take for Diabetes. What has helped me quite a lot, though, is Phazyme. You might give that a try. 

J G.
on 7/31/13 5:55 am

Hi Debbie, I'm just over 5 yrs out.  In the past, when I suspected bacterial overgrowth, I would start thinking about getting flagyl.  But i never actually did it because I was able to solve the problem by just flooding myself  with probiotics.  Like ten times my normal amount. In fact, Natures Way Primadophilus Intensive is a program of 10 packets with 100 CFU.  I think Renew Life may have one with 200 CFU.  My problem was usually resolved in less than a week.  Once I even had my doc write me a script for Cipro, but I never had to use it, because the probiotics worked.

About a month ago I had symptoms just like you.  I tried eating just meat and still had gas.  I ended up taking some amoxicillin 500mg that I had leftover from my dentist.  I worked like a charm in about 3 days.  I took my probiotic at the midpoint between amoxicillin doses.

Congrats on your engagement!  -Jenny

Debbie P.
on 7/31/13 6:08 am - Kettering, OH

Thanks Jenny!  I am taking Renew Life right now, but only 30 billion dosage.  I think I will try flooding system with these!  I did notice a small improvement when taking -- but not enough, so perhaps upping dosage will take care of it!

Thanks also for the congrats on engagement.  Rick and I dated for a year and got engaged last Fall.  We are getting married in September on the beach at sunrise.  :)  Sure don't need to have this bloating and gas on our cruise after the wedding!

Debbie ~

J G.
on 7/31/13 6:15 am

The beach at sunrise!  (she smiles and swoons) 

The cruise sounds very romantic, too.  Lucky you!

Debbie P.
on 7/31/13 6:18 am - Kettering, OH

Yeah -- it will be pretty romantic!  Not a first marriage for either of us and trying to get parents and all of our children in the same state on the same date pretty much impossible, so we opted to *elope* to FL and do it our way with no one there at all.  We will have a fun *at home* reception when we return to celebrate with friends and family (if they can make it).  Been counting the days ....

Thanks again!

1MoreChance
on 8/1/13 3:39 pm - AL
So cipro and amoxicillin work like flagyl? I'm allergic to flagy so I've been worried about a time when I may need a prescription for something to take care of gas issues when it may come up. So far I've never had any major gas issues. I was told there were other things I could take in place of flagyl but didn't know what. I just found a bottle of amoxicillin with 2 refills on it! I'm getting the refills so I'll have sometimes on hand. My pcp probably wouldn't prescribe anything like that for me for gas. Do you know if diflucan works like flagyl?
Thank you

Ronnie HW~205/SW~191/CW~119/GW~120-115

larra
on 7/31/13 9:25 am - bay area, CA

Sounds like bacterial overgrowth. Have you discussed a course of flagyl with your pcp or with your surgeon?

Larra

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 765 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1055 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 349 views