Strictures after Roux-en-y

Trackwelder
on 1/25/23 9:15 am
  1. I had a Roux-en-y surgery about 13 years ago and had what I consider to be great success. I went from a high of 388 lbs to a consistent 200 in about a year and maintained it until I started losing again down to a low of 121 lbs. I was found to have a stricture in my Esophagus and could not get enough calories down. I finally was sent to a transplant team and they decided that a reversal of the Roux-en-y was the only fix either that or remain on TPN I am having trouble understanding how a reversal of a Roux-en-y could affect the esophagus stricture and honestly am nervous about weight gain I have struggled with my weight most of my life and hate to lose it since the Roux-en-y has been so successful on TPN I am back up to 190
Partlypollyanna
on 1/25/23 3:43 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

If you are that uncomfortable with the recommendation, can you go for a second opinion? Maybe a different type of surgeon (I'm not sure what a transplant team would do with a stricture but I don't know anything about medicine or specialties). Could your bariatric practice provide any insight?

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Trackwelder
on 1/25/23 3:59 pm

I have the bad luck to have the Bariatric Surgeon retire, every GI doctor in Sioux Falls tell me I was too complicated for them, The GI doctors at Omaha VA say I was too complicated, and the GI doctors at university of Nebraska say I was Too complicated. I was referred to the transplant team not necessarily for a transplant but because they were supposed to be more experienced the surgeon had views of everything downstream of the RNY but was not interested in the esophagus feeling he could just reverse the procedure. Maybe that is what is bothering me but I don't know where to go next for an opinion what are peoples feelings I know I have to make the decision but throwing this out there helps me think through everything. I am still happy that I had the RNY procedure and I am not convinced that the stricture was caused by it.

Partlypollyanna
on 1/30/23 4:34 am
RNY on 02/14/18

Ahh, I understand now. I can see that you have tried every option; usually teaching hospitals might be willing to try to figure it out but clearly not there. The only other thing I could think is see if you can find another bariatric surgeon who might be more familiar with types of complications and see if they can see anything and maybe share with one of the other medical teams? Good luck, I can't imagine the frustration.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

hollykim
on 1/26/23 7:34 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 25, 2023 at 5:15 PM Pacific Time, Trackwelder wrote:
  1. I had a Roux-en-y surgery about 13 years ago and had what I consider to be great success. I went from a high of 388 lbs to a consistent 200 in about a year and maintained it until I started losing again down to a low of 121 lbs. I was found to have a stricture in my Esophagus and could not get enough calories down. I finally was sent to a transplant team and they decided that a reversal of the Roux-en-y was the only fix either that or remain on TPN I am having trouble understanding how a reversal of a Roux-en-y could affect the esophagus stricture and honestly am nervous about weight gain I have struggled with my weight most of my life and hate to lose it since the Roux-en-y has been so successful on TPN I am back up to 190

what would they reverse it to?

Trackwelder
on 1/26/23 10:11 am

Supposedly normal anatomy I am trying to get confirmation from the doctor exactly how this can take care of an esophageal stricture

FinallyBecomingMe
on 1/28/23 5:29 am

Youll gain weight. If you're 190 lbs whats your issue? Sounds like a very healthy normal weight.

Most Active