Having trouble with 2 week liquid diet

Lailala
on 12/5/22 5:11 pm
VSG on 12/13/22

So I'm supposed to be doing a 2 week liquid diet. I started my diet on November 29th and so far I've had fast food 3 times and can't stop snacking here and there. I'm really trying to stay focused on the diet but my head feels dizzy and It feels like I have the flu. It's bad enough that I have a food addiction but to add on the terrible symptoms of not eating seems to always make me fall off. In the bariatric groups I'm in a lot of people seem to have the same problem and others tell them they are not ready. I thought bariatric surgery was for people like me who struggle with food addiction and losing weight? I honestly don't know what to do and feel like I don't have the strength to continue the diet.

hollykim
on 12/6/22 8:19 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 6, 2022 at 1:11 AM Pacific Time, Lailala wrote:

So I'm supposed to be doing a 2 week liquid diet. I started my diet on November 29th and so far I've had fast food 3 times and can't stop snacking here and there. I'm really trying to stay focused on the diet but my head feels dizzy and It feels like I have the flu. It's bad enough that I have a food addiction but to add on the terrible symptoms of not eating seems to always make me fall off. In the bariatric groups I'm in a lot of people seem to have the same problem and others tell them they are not ready. I thought bariatric surgery was for people like me who struggle with food addiction and losing weight? I honestly don't know what to do and feel like I don't have the strength to continue the diet.

what does your liquid diet include?

Lailala
on 12/6/22 5:22 pm
VSG on 12/13/22

protein shakes, sugar free beverages, sugar free popsicles,

hollykim
on 12/7/22 7:54 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 7, 2022 at 1:22 AM Pacific Time, Lailala wrote:

protein shakes, sugar free beverages, sugar free popsicles,

how many shakes a day? Add an extra one or two and eat as many popsicles as you need to. Drink ALL the time.

you are almost done with the two weeks aren't you? Hang in there. Ask you team if you can add sugar free jello. It helps too.

Lailala
on 12/7/22 11:13 am
VSG on 12/13/22

The most I can have a day is 5 since I am diabetic also I do believe I can have some jello. I think I will try that! I am 6 days away from my surgery day now and I think I will fight through the hunger although I'm not sure at this point if the surgeon will do my surgery due to the fact that I've ate so much. Thanks for your feedback and help hollykim

hollykim
on 12/7/22 11:35 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 7, 2022 at 7:13 PM Pacific Time, Lailala wrote:

The most I can have a day is 5 since I am diabetic also I do believe I can have some jello. I think I will try that! I am 6 days away from my surgery day now and I think I will fight through the hunger although I'm not sure at this point if the surgeon will do my surgery due to the fact that I've ate so much. Thanks for your feedback and help hollykim

if you are able to finish without cheating a gain you will prob be ok. Keep on it. It's worth it!

ladygodiva1228
on 12/6/22 3:01 pm - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

First thing would be to call your surgeon and let them know what is going on. Yes the 2 week liquid diet really sucks, but it is needed to safely perform the surgery. People have been turned away on the day of surgery because they didn't follow the pre-op diet.

Now is the time that you need to sit down and think about how much you want to be healthy. Not just thin, but healthy. Fast food isn't good for overweight people and it isn't good for fit people. It is full of junk that is just killing us all faster.

Maybe you're not ready yet or maybe you just need to talk to someone about how your feeling and have a really good post surgery plan.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Lailala
on 12/7/22 11:25 am
VSG on 12/13/22

Maybe I am not ready for this surgery that I don't know for sure, but one thing I do know is that this surgery is my last hope. I've been working towards this surgery for a year and I've had to postpone multiple times because my team said I was not ready. I know it's serious and I've talked with some family members who have had the wls and they have made me want to fight these hunger urges. Trust me I've thought about it and I really want to be healthy. I am 350 pounds with diabetes and high cholesterol at the age of 21. I know that I need this more than anything I just struggle with my fast food/food addiction. If I get turned away on the day of surgery I will take that as a learning lesson and try again. Thank you for your feedback!

ladygodiva1228
on 12/8/22 7:20 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

See if you can find these books. WLS for Dummies and The Emotional First Aid kit a practical guide to life after bariatric surgery. Two really helpful books.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Cautiously_Hopeful
on 12/7/22 1:45 am
WLS on 07/15/22

Hey there!

It sounds like you might have some carb withdrawal going on. When I eat simple carbs, I crave them like crazy! If you stick to the diet, it will help you detox from carbs in addition to reducing the size of your liver.

As others have said, you should absolutely inform and discuss with your clinic if you have trouble with the diet. They may have feedback or options that can help, and the premise is to make your surgery safer.

You're right. Food addiction is real, and unfortunately, the head hunger and our underlying behaviors don't just disappear with surgery. I'm less than five months post op and have been working with a therapist for over a year now on many things, including what drives the urge to eat. I wouldn't be able to make progress without addressing the underlying behaviors that helped get me to this point in the first place. Surgery isn't an easy way out - it does take a lot of work afterwards! Sharing a bit of my background since of course, I'm not a doctor!

All of that to say, the surgery is a great tool but the behavior changes are critically important to success. Please talk to your clinic, and wishing you the best no matter which path you take!

HW 282, LW 123.4 (8/29/23), CW 144.4

Pre-op-33, M1-12, M2-17, M3-14, M4-11, M5-14, M6-5, M7-6, M8-5, M9-22, M10-6, M11-5, M12-2, M13-2, M14-5

Most Active