Blue Cross Blue Shield Indvidual Plan

danna36610
on 5/25/14 6:48 am - semmes, AL

Hi guys I really need to have weight loss Surgery, my disk in my back is out and it hurts bad for me to walk or stand, standing hurts the most. My medical doctor wants me too have the surgery as a medical necessity, but I have an indvidual plan and I do not know if my insurance would pay for it...

Amy R.
on 5/25/14 8:00 am

We don't know if your insurance will pay for it either, but there's an easy way for you to find out:

Turn your insurance card over to the back and call the 800 number you'll find there for customer service.  They're the ones *****ally know what your specific plan covers.

Good luck

poet_kelly
on 5/25/14 8:54 am - OH

Call the number on your insurance card and ask if they cover WLS.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

pebtash
on 5/25/14 11:13 am
VSG on 11/25/14

Hi Danna 36610, I have Medicare and Federal BCBS so I have checked into the blue cross plans. The only thing I don't know is about a individual plan. But if it is anything like a regular plan is does cover WLS. Basic BCBS do have some requirements to meet first and I know one of them is a three month medically supervised weight loss plan most of them is done by your PCP. But to be sure call customer service. They are very helpful unlike Medicare. If you can I would start a medically supervised plan right now and start the process with a WLS clinic or hospital. The sooner you start your 3 month plan the quicker it can happen.

hollykim
on 5/26/14 1:02 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 25, 2014 at 6:13 PM Pacific Time, pebtash wrote:

Hi Danna 36610, I have Medicare and Federal BCBS so I have checked into the blue cross plans. The only thing I don't know is about a individual plan. But if it is anything like a regular plan is does cover WLS. Basic BCBS do have some requirements to meet first and I know one of them is a three month medically supervised weight loss plan most of them is done by your PCP. But to be sure call customer service. They are very helpful unlike Medicare. If you can I would start a medically supervised plan right now and start the process with a WLS clinic or hospital. The sooner you start your 3 month plan the quicker it can happen.

this is incorrect info. Not every BCBS plan,basic or not ,covers Wls. It depends on whether the employer who provides the coverage has bought the rider that covers WLS, for their employees or. Not. 

My insurance is BCBS also and there is an exclusion to all WLS since my DH employer chose not to provide that covege to its employees.

Tereasa R.
on 5/25/14 11:30 am - Houston, TX
RNY on 05/29/14

I have BCBS Individual Plan and I have an exclusion on mine -no matter what. I'm having to pay out of pocket for my surgery. If you have in mind a doctor that you want to use, give them a call. They will call and verify your insurance for you and then let you know what you would need to do from there. Sometimes, they can fight the insurance companies for you to get it covered if it's not. That is where I started and then they handled everything from there. 

Tereasa R.  5' 2" - HW: 269 / SW: 267 / CW: 184 / GW: 140

56sunShine14
on 5/25/14 12:01 pm

Tereasa,

is this what you are saying above?

I have BCBS Individual Plan and I have an exclusion on mine -no matter what. I'm having to pay out of pocket for my surgery. If you have in mind a doctor that you want to use, give them a call. They will call and verify your insurance for you and then let you know what you would need to do from there. Sometimes, they can fight the insurance companies for you to get it covered if it's not. That is where I started and then they handled everything from there

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/25/14 3:45 pm - OH

The only way to find out is to call your insurance company and ask.  Better yet, also ask them to mail you, or direct you to a website that has, the coverage bulletin so you can see the policy coverage in writing for yourself.

Unfortunately, in order to keep premiums down, most individual plans don't include WLS.  Yours may cover it, though.  

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

danna36610
on 5/26/14 12:37 am - semmes, AL

Thanks Everyone...

Most Active