gastric sleeve, and acid reflux.....should I ?

Bonnie250
on 5/25/14 11:24 pm
RNY on 08/25/14

I am in the early process of moving forward with surgery, i originally have chosen the gastric sleeve, i have met with my surgeon, and he told me the only concern he had, was the fact i ALREADY have acid reflux, and Acid reflux can be worse after getting the sleeve. NOW, on the flip side of this, My 30mg, of prescription prevacid, controls my acid reflux, totally. Also, perhaps since i didnt have acid reflux until i got heavy maybe losing weight will make the acid reflux go away. MAYBE?? I am torn because I had another lady tell me Her doctor wouldnt even consider doing a sleeve on someone with GERD or acid reflux....should i change and go with the BYPASS??? 

emelar
on 5/26/14 2:08 am - TX

If a hiatal hernia is causing the GERD, then fixing the hernia (which they can do during surgery) takes care of the GERD.  Problem is, it seems hard to tell whether there's a hernia or not before they go in.

It's definitely a risk to get the sleeve with GERD.  It may get worse, may get better, may stay the same.  The RNY is a better bet to cure/control GERD.  So it depends on whether you're willing to risk it or not.

MsBatt
on 5/26/14 4:12 am

Over the past 11 years I've spent a lot of time reading here, and on other WLS-related sites, and I've come to the conclusion that tiny little Sleeve often cause GERD. Back when I was researching before surgery, very few people got stand-alone Sleeves---most people with a Sleeved stomach got the full DS. Nobody talked much about GERD, other than saying how much better theirs was.

Then the VSG became a popular option, but people were seeing regain---so the trend moved toward making Sleeves smaller and smaller. Suddenly a LOT of people were developing reflux.

My DS completely cured my reflux, but my stomach was left to hold 3-5 ounces.

If you want to keep a fully-functional stomach---and I highly recommend it!---look into having the complete Duodenal Switch and discuss Sleeve size with your surgeon. The DS has a big malabsorption component, so you can get by with a larger stomach.

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 5/26/14 6:31 am

I had terrible gerd prior to surgery, and I have the DS (exact same sleeve stomach he does for his stand alone sleeves) and I have had zero gerd since my surgery over 6 years ago. 

My gerd was relieved completely by losing my excess weight. Sounds like you have a good idea that that is your issue too. 

MsBatt
on 5/26/14 8:14 am

My GERD went away immediately, and strangely, so did my snoring.

Amy, Daredevil
Extraordinaire

on 5/26/14 12:49 pm - Los Angeles, CA
DS on 08/06/13

I had horrible acid reflux every night before I had surgery. Because of this, my surgeon made my sleeve slightly larger than average (and he compensated by making my common channel slightly shorter than average). During surgery, he discovered a hiatal hernia and repaired it. 

I have been acid reflux-free since the day I had surgery. I can sleep peacefully now!

*DS with Dr. Ara Keshishian on 08/06/13* SW: 231 CW: 131 GW: 119 * Check out My YouTube Channel: AmysDSJourney *

marinaki2004
on 5/26/14 2:18 pm
VSG on 02/19/14

My mild GERD went away after surgery...i do eat a lot healthier and cleaner so i'm assuming that has something to do with it.

VSG 02/19/14 Dr. Theodore Small

Most Active