WLS Lightweights

Jolly_ICU_RN
on 12/19/15 12:03 am
WLS on 12/29/15

So...Didn't really understand that WLS lightweights met people starting with a lower high BMI haha....thought it was for people who lost too much weight! 

Well, I gotta question for you guys! I've found many people (10 plus) who question why I'm having surgery. They don't think I look that big. I try to explain to them that I'm considered MORBIDLY obese. Not just obese...but morbidly. That even though I may look on the normal side of big, I'm still big and the health effects will eventually catch up to me (I'm 25, so no comorbidities...yet!). Did ya'll have this problem? How did you deal with it? I've been overweight since I was a little girl (10 years old?) and dieting since I was 16 (per physician).

MajorMom
on 12/19/15 2:09 am - VA

Welcome aboard!  

I think all lightweights run into people who know more than the doctor. {sarcasm} Just smile and nod and carry on. Also, don't tell anyone--it's between you your doctor and 1 or 2 family members that need to know after you make your decision. They should be the ones you trust and respect you. Hang tough.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Brandi Girl
on 12/19/15 4:53 am
WLS on 10/18/11

I agree with MajorMom. You don't have to explain to anyone why your Dr. and you are doing this! The one things I would change now if I was able to go back to before my surgery is that I would not tell ANYONE besides my husband and children!! While my 3 best friends have been very supportive not many others have. Every member of my in laws still to this day make comments about how I never had to 'work' for the weight loss (this statement could not be any further from the truth). And when my weight goes up at all (such as it currently is) and actually get snickers and hear how if THEY had surgery they would not blow it like I am :( Other WLS patients are the only real support I have found (again short of my husband and children). Other people give you no credit and judge. Just my personal experience. Your young and you want to have a long healthy life! Good for you! Find a good support group and stick with it. Best of luck to us all here :)

Price S.
on 12/19/15 4:53 am - Mills River, NC

Yep, welcome to the LW board. 

I think we have all heard versions of that, which may or may not include "taking the easy way out", etc.

I usually just say it was a decision I made with my Dr regarding my health.  That usually shuts them up.  America doesn't know what "normal" is anymore because the majority are some version of overweight.  So we don't look all that big but we know we are, we know what our history is, our co-morbidities are, etc. 

Good luck with your journey.  Stick around and ask questions and learn.  And hang on  its quite a ride.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Roz !!!!
on 12/19/15 4:21 pm - Butler, PA

Welcome to our LW Board!   I'm so glad you found us!!!!!!!  

You are VERY SMART looking into this in your 20's!!  The fun times I missed as each year I got older. Your skin and complexion will probably bounce perfect at your age.

My DD (darling daughter) suggested it to me when I think I was around 40 but I waited until I was in my mid 50's.  I look back at my 40 yr old friends now and I wonder why didn't I have it done then???

I think everyone on the LW board has been told "you don't need surgery".  I didn't share until I was about 2 weeks out.  My DH (darling husband) and DD's knew but I didn't even tell my Mom or siblings right away.  2 weeks of the horror stories and I hope you don't regret it was enough.  I was so glad I waited. 

Now the same people who told me I didn't need it go on and on about great I look.  And the people that told me horror stories can now have a success story to share!

A lot of people keep their WLS a secret but I tell my story often. I love sharing and helping others.

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

Jolly_ICU_RN
on 12/20/15 5:47 am
WLS on 12/29/15

Thanks for the encouragement!! I really needed it. 99% of my coworkers are supportive...they (being nurses) just ask questions like "You don't look "THAT" big to need surgery!". After I explain BMI and how I don't want to get Hypertension or Diabetes and how obesity is extremely hereditary on my dad's side....they usually get it. There is just one guy "Jerry" who does the horror stories and such...and then he says "I wish I could get it" when he is a perfectly normal BMI!!! He was my partner at work last night...so I'm a little more annoyed than I have been. Overall though, I"ve been really blessed with supportive family, friends and coworkers. 

Roz !!!!
on 12/20/15 6:06 am - Butler, PA

Did you put the bookmarks at the end of your post?  My 16 yr. old Granddaughter is a very strong Christian that wants to be a Worship Leader.  God has given her so many talents but she has been struggling with cutting herself.  I've been trying to find a bookmark or something  that would be appropriate for her. Any Suggestions?

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

Jolly_ICU_RN
on 12/20/15 6:17 am
WLS on 12/29/15

they're just pictures from the internet :) 

1) go to google

2) search under images

3) search "Bible verses about ______"

4) pick a pic!

K N.
on 12/21/15 10:46 am

I am a nurse also and have told now one other than my husband and mother. I only told her because I needed help with childcare because my husband is overseas. My in-laws just know I had surgery, no idea what. I told my kuds "I had to get somethig fixed" so by time that gets to the inlaws they will be thinking I had a tubal ligation.....

as far as work, my weight yo tos and I was about 45 lb lighter when I started there 2 1/2 years ago. A week pro-op I did the cabbage soup diet per My MD and lost 10lb.... I already had this week scheduled off for vacation since January.... I am hoping that they will just chalk up I am continuing to lose weight and get back to how I was. In my opinion it is none of their business...nurses can be catty and think they know every thing..... I just dont want to hear their judgements. 

Age: 36, Height: 5' 1", SW: 237.7, CW:155.1 (6/16/16) , Surgery 12/18/15

M1 = - 29.1, M2 = - 13.1, M3 = 13.3, M4 =9.7  M5 = 9.1 M6 

K N.
on 12/21/15 10:48 am

Sorry for all of the typ-os.... I need to proof read

Age: 36, Height: 5' 1", SW: 237.7, CW:155.1 (6/16/16) , Surgery 12/18/15

M1 = - 29.1, M2 = - 13.1, M3 = 13.3, M4 =9.7  M5 = 9.1 M6 

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 304 views
12 Year Surgiversary!