lower BMI and I have questions please

blu2020
on 9/18/15 12:40 pm

I posted on another forum and they told me to do exercise and eat right. I am seriously considering this surgery and wanted to see if anything has done it with a 30 bmi? Please if you are going to be rude or mean to me don't leave a message. if this is the right forum for me please let me know. 

Thanks 

boxtop2006
on 9/18/15 7:26 am, edited 9/18/15 7:30 am
RNY on 03/24/15

blu2020,

Do you have any co morbidities? Are you wanting insurance to pay or are you a self pay? What surgery were you looking into? Have you tried a good diet and exercise program, something you could stick to?  Have you been to a nut to see if they can help you first? Do you track you food intake?

I'm sure the LW will be able to answer this question for you but the above questions might help us a little.  This is the right group for anyone who is a LW.  I did respond to your other post, I'm not sure if you read it but hopefully something I wrote in it helped a little.

Melissa

Consult: 235 Surgery: 209 Current: 158.5 Goal: 140     

blu2020
on 9/18/15 3:54 pm

No I do not have any issues at all. As I have been cursed at being chubby my entire life I have been blessed with great health. It will be Self Pay. I want to get the sleeve but stretching it I am at a 31 bmi, I am 5'11. I have been on every diet you could imagine. I work out, and I'm not a little person. I am like supersized but not heavy enough that I have issues. Having said that, I am 40 and this is something I want to do for myself. I have battled my weight my entire life and if there is a tool I  can use to help me why shouldn't I be able to get it. Yes, I have seen a nut (physiologist if that is what you are referring to) and he believes I am making a rational decision. 

I am not wanting the surgery because I want a quick fix, I want the surgery to help as a tool to keep me on tract. I am a single mom and I would love to be able to focus on something long term that give me more hope then a yoyo. I do not drink alcohol but do have an addiction to diet coke. I have met a few people that have done this surgery and have nothing but positive things to say. 

blu2020
on 9/18/15 3:57 pm

I have also heard this helps balance out all female hormones. 

Neesie57
on 9/18/15 11:11 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

I don't know enough about you and your BMI to judge what you should do, but only your doctor and nutritionist (nut) should be able to help you with.  

One thing you will have to give up to have the surgery is your Diet Coke addiction.  Carbonated beverages are a strict no no for a long time after your surgery.  I used to get most of my liquids from diet sodas, mostly Dr. Pepper, but I haven't had one in over 2 months now, because of my recent surgery.  It's difficult to give it up, but it may be good for you to try to stop now, or at least cut way back on how much of it you drink.

Good luck!

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

MajorMom
on 9/19/15 2:10 am - VA

If you wanted to consider going to Mexico or Brazil for the sleeve, their minimum is 30 BMI not 35 like the US. I've also seen some post that some surgeons will do the sleeve for folks less than 35 BMI but I think it might be self pay and not covered by insurance. I definitely wouldn't consider the band for myself, normally a band might work for someone that doesn't snack, only eats one major meal a day, and can handle refills and such. At least that's what my surgeon advises.  

Welcome aboard the LW board, no harsh judgements here, we've been there done that and decided we like a more open approach. 

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Price S.
on 9/19/15 5:03 am - Mills River, NC

I was over, well over your current BMI but still a lightweight.  Surgery gave me my life back.  However, it is not a cure all and you can out eat any surgery.  And as those of us in maintanance have found out, the smaller you are, the harder it is to maintain. 

It is a decision for you and your doctor.  Most of us lightweights get told we were too light by some or many before surgery.  But we knew it was what was needed in our lives.

One way or the other, you will need a support group.  We are here for you.  Hopefully, your family will be there for you.  If you can find a Dr stateside, their support group may not be so much with you as it will have folks from all surgeries and weights.

Good luck in your decision.  And btw, when we say "nut" we are taking dietitian (nutrionist) not psych.  But sometimes they are pretty crazy and need a psych for the things they tell us.  And many are not licensed dietitians but they won't tell you that.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Roz !!!!
on 9/19/15 7:25 am - Butler, PA

Welcome to our LW Board!!!!   No one should ever be rude or mean to your on our board!!!!  If they are you just let us know!

You got some good advice from the other posts.  Even though we have some Sleevers on our site I don't know a lot about it.  I do know that they seem to struggle a little more than the other surgeries when they get on Maintenance but with your BMI being so low it would probably be a good choice for you.  I definitely would consider it over the Band.

Someone commented on the soda/pop and I would recommend that be one of the first things you try to give up.  My DH (darling husband) worked for Pepsi Cola for years and we lived on Pepsi but I knew that if I couldn't give that up I wouldn't be able to eat right either.  Plus later on when I tried Pepsi the carbonation and caffeine was painful to my stomach. 

All I have left to say is that if you can afford it and you have a reputable Surgeon who agrees to do it then I would go for it!  I am 63 and my only regret is not having it when I was younger.  MY RNY has helped me both physically and mentally.  It has built up my confidence and I'm not a wall flower anymore.  Gina recommended Mexico and I've read numerous posts over the 7 years that I've been here that the Surgeons are good and the prices are great.

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

lerkhart
on 9/19/15 9:40 am

Hi and welcome to the LW board. 

I was a lot over your BMI when I had surgery so I can't help you there.  I have known several that have had the sleeve and done good with it.  I also would not recommend the band due to the aftercare unless you are in the same town with your surgeon.  I see my surgeon now(6 years out) once a year and he is 4 hours away so if I had to go for fills and other things it would be a pain.

I had RNY and it was the best thing I ever done for myself.  I would do it again in a heartbeat.  My life has changed totally in the last 6 years.  However, as Price mentioned you can out at any surgery you have.  I have had a gain this year due to not following the rules and not as much exercise.

If you have done the diet and exercise and it has not worked or not lasted then I say go for it!!

You will have to give up the soda because of the carbonation.  I know some people say they drink them after surgery, but look and make sure if you are listening to them that they are where they want to be and not having regain.  I have not had a diet coke in over 6 years and I was a true diet coke addict!!

Good luck and keep us posted.  You can start your journey by posting on the Roz's Menus and Miles each day to get used to keeping up with everything you eat.  It is a great habit to get into even prior to having WLS.

Linda

14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
blu2020
on 9/19/15 7:50 pm

thank you all for the encouragement. I really appreciate it. I have never been a "light weight " in my life. :) - I will be giving up the Diet COKE. I am just looking forward to committing to something that will help me long term not just short term. I have full support from family and friends- I am excited and love reading your stories. I hope one day I can help someone else who has had the same struggles as myself. 

*** one big question. I started working out - similar to crossfit. I enjoy it and I have to say I love the stress relief - how long after the surgery can you start back on something like this?  

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 303 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 428 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 490 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 509 views