Ketosis Question

Susiekay
on 9/4/15 8:45 am
RNY on 04/24/12

3 weeks ago I did the 5 day pouch reset.  It worked great!  Since then I've lost 8lbs and been able to get off the carb wagon...This morning I used to keto stick to see if I was getting too many carbs and it registered that I was in moderate Ketosis.  Does anyone have any information on this.  Is this a good thing or bad.  I know that its when your body is using your stored fat as energy, but when I go into Maintenance again, will I gain it back.

Thanks,

Jody ***
on 9/4/15 11:50 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with

I feel Ketosis is a good thing.  Like you said - it means it's burning storage fat.  Going into Maintenance,, as long as you do the right things, you won't gain it back.  We all hit ketosis when we were in the active part of our weight loss.  I remember that horrible taste in my mouth.  

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

(deactivated member)
on 9/4/15 6:55 pm

Everyone has a different opinion ( and I have the HIGHEST respect for Jody's who I've " known" on here for many years ). But  I profoundly MISTRUST ketosis ... reminds of me of frail , old early-to-die Dr. Atkins ... 

I always wonder whether the gallblader issues and even kidney stones /failure issues we hear about on here are high-protein-diet or ketosis related . 

MajorMom
on 9/5/15 4:44 am - VA

I'm with Jody, ketosis is a good thing while you're trying to lose. Stay low carb and once you hit goal, then start to add healthy carbs back in to your diet. Slowly and carefully.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 293 views
12 Year Surgiversary!