Do I weigh enough for surgery?

tracik3
on 1/22/15 6:54 am

So, I weigh 187 and I'm 5"2 1/2 and I'm 45 years old.  I have been reading on here for days.  I am just wondering if it would be dumb for me to have the surgery? I can hear my family now saying I don't weigh enough for it. 

tracik3
on 1/22/15 6:57 am

Oh, I have high blood pressure been on meds for about 5 years.  My knees kill me and I have heart burn so bad sometimes I wonder if I'm having a heart attack.

Doingrightin2015
on 1/22/15 6:58 am
RNY on 03/10/15

I don't know if they would do yours or not. I don't think insurance would approve Your bmi is only about 33. If you are selfpay you can always go for a consult and see what they say.

Doingitright2015

HW in life 282 HW265 at start SW 244 CW170

Price S.
on 1/22/15 7:50 am - Mills River, NC

Surgery could improve your heart burn and blood pressure.  It can also reduce your pain from arthritis but the arthritis would still be there.  I went off all my blood pressure meds and my arthritis was significantly better but I still ended up with a knee replacement. 

Yeah, we all heard that we weren't big enough.  But we were.  You probably won't get insurance to pay but if you are willing to self pay, you may find someone who will do it. 

Surgery was the best thing I even did for myself.  I wish I hadn't waited until I was 100 lbs overweight and 61.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Navychic
on 1/23/15 12:31 am
RNY on 02/09/15

I think its a choice about do you see it getting any better without or is it just a continual downward trend.  My family are all really large.  My parents (and many other family members) are both hi blood pressure, insulin diabetics & hi cholesterol.  I've never been small in this lifetime... so do you have what it needs to get down by yourself or is it just going to get worse if you don't do something drastic...

I never even considered it before (no one in my family ever has) and now that I've committed I can't wait...

Good Luck with your decision!

I'm Jo   HW 245, SW 236, CW 151 Yeah (Normal BMI!!!!)

M1=213 (-23), M2=201 (-12), M3=186 (-15), M4=175(-11), M5=166(-9), M6=157(-9), M7=153(-4) 

tracik3
on 1/23/15 5:58 am

I was always skinny until about 3 years after I had my son I started gaining.  I even lost all of my baby weight in 6 weeks! Of course this was 22 years ago.  lol  My husband was military and every time we would move to a new base I would gain 10 to 15 pounds.  I would go on a diet lose some of it and then regain that plus some.  Well, we moved back home 7 years ago and I was like ok GREAT maybe I will lose weight now that we are back home. NOPE I am at my all time high weight.  I don't want to go on vacation or go out any more.  I don't have any cute clothes and I hate shopping now!

I do not think my husband would let me self pay.  I have mentioned the surgery to him and he says he doesn't want me to have it.  And I don't want to spend the money on it.  We have paid about $20,000 in the last few years on my mouth for dental stuff. 

I may just try and see if base will give me a referral to go talk to a doctor and see what they say. 

Navychic
on 1/23/15 7:46 am
RNY on 02/09/15

So trace, not to reroute your question, but as a dependent (or retiree as in my case) you can choose tri care std verses prime.  Big difference between the two is co-pays whenever you see a dr, but no annual deductible on std, prime which most people choose means day to day care is free, but you have to use their drs.  Both have the same family catastrophic cap of $3K (meaning in any year no matter how bad the catastrophe your limit to pay per family is $3K)

Anyways the point I was getting at was on Tricare  std, you don't need referrals, you just choose your surgeon and then he will tell you if he thinks its a good idea, and they can refer you to a GP in their practice.

Navy Corpsman while I was in (AKA medic if your family was in any other service...)

I'm Jo   HW 245, SW 236, CW 151 Yeah (Normal BMI!!!!)

M1=213 (-23), M2=201 (-12), M3=186 (-15), M4=175(-11), M5=166(-9), M6=157(-9), M7=153(-4) 

tracik3
on 1/24/15 10:43 am

Thanks for that information. I will bring it up to my husband.  My husband was in the Air Force for 24 years been retired like 5. 

Roz !!!!
on 1/24/15 7:07 am - Butler, PA

I'm guessing you would have to be self pay. Find out what BMI you need to be approved.  Don't stand up straight and gain a few pounds...LOL.  I've even known people who actually put things in their pockets to make the scales go up. 

I only got support from 1 of my DD's. I had 1 DD who fought me until they wheeled me down the hall for surgery.  They would probably be scared of something going wrong but once the surgery is over they will be able to see the improvements in your mind set and your health.

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

tracik3
on 1/24/15 10:44 am
On January 24, 2015 at 3:07 PM Pacific Time, Roz !!!! wrote:

I'm guessing you would have to be self pay. Find out what BMI you need to be approved.  Don't stand up straight and gain a few pounds...LOL.  I've even known people who actually put things in their pockets to make the scales go up. 

I only got support from 1 of my DD's. I had 1 DD who fought me until they wheeled me down the hall for surgery.  They would probably be scared of something going wrong but once the surgery is over they will be able to see the improvements in your mind set and your health.

That is exactly what one of my friends told me to do!

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 315 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 437 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 500 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 522 views