Carbonated drinks

Susiekay
on 7/23/14 3:06 am
RNY on 04/24/12

I am 2 and a half yrs out from RYN and have fallen back in to craving Diet Coke.  I am so mad at myself for drinking the first one, knowing I should not.....Does anyone have any tips for cutting the habit once again.  I have not gained any weight but I can tell the cravings are back.

HELP!

hollykim
on 7/23/14 6:06 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

the only way I know to quit any addictive substance is cold turkey.

gl

Susiekay
on 7/23/14 6:34 am
RNY on 04/24/12

Are they bad for you at 2 1/2 years post op?  Will the carbonation stretch your pouch????

soupandsalad
on 7/23/14 10:21 am

A nusrse told me the carbonation in dietcoke can lead to leaks.... I still dont know if she said that to scare me or what...

MacMadame
on 7/28/14 12:39 am - Northern, CA
On July 23, 2014 at 5:21 PM Pacific Time, soupandsalad wrote:

A nusrse told me the carbonation in dietcoke can lead to leaks.... I still dont know if she said that to scare me or what...

It can when your staple line is healing but after 2-3 weeks, it's healed. A month if you want to be conservative. Not 2.5 years.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Jody ***
on 7/23/14 12:02 pm - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with

I've been drinking diet coke for a couple of years now - but, not a LOT.  It's more like a treat or if I have a grouchy pouch, it seems to help.  I heard that carbonated drinks can stretch the stoma.. not sure how true that is. 

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

Ladytazz
on 7/23/14 3:59 pm

Funny, I stopped drinking diet soda after my first WLS and was drinking a ton of regular Dr. Pepper.  I decided that wasn't a good idea so I quit that.  And started drinking orange juice.  Any wonder I regained 100 lbs?

Anyway, I hadn't had hardly any carbonated drinks since then but recently at work I decided to try the new Coke Zero and it was the first diet soda I have liked in years so I have been drinking them this Summer instead of coffee, for the caffeine.  Not a great habit either way but not a big deal other then making me gassy.  I get the generic and have a can or two a day, if I even remember.  Today I forgot I had them until this evening so I had one.  I am more concerned about the amount of caffeine I am getting then about the carbonation.

My program never said a thing that I can remember one way or another but I remember that every time I have been in the hospital they have always given me diet Sprite, even after I had an EGD.  I didn't have any problem and up until recently that was the only time I ever had any soda.

If it starts to be a problem hopefully I will cut them out but truthfully the only problem I have ever had with soda is because of the sugar, not from diet soda.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

MacMadame
on 7/24/14 4:06 pm - Northern, CA

I'm drinking a carbonated drink right now. It's a myth that they can stretch anything. We have two holes that the carbonation comes out of... you can burp or fart out the gas. LOL

I don't drink the heavily carbonated stuff because it bothers me and diet colas have some other health issues so I avoid those too, but I drink some stuff with light carbonation and a fruity flavor and it's fine. I've been drinking it for months with no issues and my weight hasn't changed at all.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Huneypie
on 7/26/14 6:15 pm - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

Something like Crystal Light would be a good substitute if you really want to get off the fizzy stuff.

I avoid caffeine as it's no good for our bones and it seems to give people refulx issues.  PPIs reduce calcium absorption, so again no good for our bones.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Grim_Traveller
on 7/26/14 7:19 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Carbonation cannot stretch anything, that is a complete myth.

Some believe that the artificial sweeteners make your brain crave more sweets, which could obviously be an issue. I don't believe it myself, or find it be true. 

Diet soda isn't good for you, but in moderation it isn't particularly bad either. As long as you aren't drinking gallons of it, I wouldn't worry.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 293 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 419 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 479 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 498 views