I'm BACK - Remember Me?

BridgetJones
on 6/27/14 8:48 pm - Belle Vernon, PA

Hi everyone!  I had my RNY surgery in 2009.  Actually the 26th was my surgiversary although not a happy one sadly.  I have regained 60% of the weight I lost and I really think my RNY has reversed itself.  I have severe hypoglycemia which causes me to faint or have seizures and I have had my license revoked so I hardly ever go out - not so much because of the license but because I am afraid I will have a seizure since my last two were in public (and in Israel!)

I have done some research and I think revision to the Duodenal Switch will cure the severe hypoglycemia my RNY had caused.  Does anyone know anything about this topic - revision to cure hypo?  Or just revision from RNY to DS?

I considered RNY to VGS but I still need to lose weight and be able to keep it off so I think DS is a better choice.

Anyway, I am back.  I am not losing or looking to lose right now but I know this is the best place to find support and I missed you guys :)

Bridget

Roz !!!!
on 6/27/14 10:04 pm - Butler, PA

Of course I remember you!!!!   I'm so glad you found us again!  I think about our Posters that we haven't heard from often.

Are you back in Pittsburgh now or are you still in Israel?  I would like to hear everything going on in your life.  Message me if you don't want to share publicly.

It's sad you gained a lot of your weight back and that you are having some medical problems.  If I were going to get a revision I would go for the DS although you do have to be very determined to take all of your supplements or you might be in worse shape than you are now. 

(((HUGS)))

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

BridgetJones
on 6/29/14 12:11 am - Belle Vernon, PA

Thanks Roz!  Nope, I'll post publically because I am loud and proud.  I am proud of the weight I lost - going down to 108 while in Israel.  I am not REALLY bad off weight wise even though I gained so much back from that low...my initial goal weight was 139 and so I am not really too far off.  I would like to lose down to the teens though since I think I look better that small.  I never realized how small framed I was!

We were in Israel from August 2011 through March 2013.  Anthony and I divorced (believe me, YAY!) and now I am back in Belle Vernon, PA and living with my fiance.  I have Evan with me which I am so grateful for.  It was a horrible divorce (first a religious divorce and then a civil divorce) and Anthony and I can't even talk.  Another YAY!

I am disabled now because of the seizures and because of major depressive disorder, anxiety, panic disorder and borderline personality disorder.  Getting the hypo resolved and the seizures better controlled will go a long way for me!!!!

I am glad you're here.  Ask anything you'd like!!!

Bridget

5'5"   SW - 208  GW1 - 138  GW2 - 108 Lowest W - 108  CW - 158.5

Seeking revision from RNY to DS due to extreme hypoglycemia

Original surgery June 24, 2009        

Roz !!!!
on 6/29/14 12:40 am - Butler, PA

I was actually wondering if you were still married but you answered that. It seemed like such a fast decision. 

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

BridgetJones
on 6/29/14 11:55 pm - Belle Vernon, PA

Actually it was a long time coming.  I was always a caretaker.  Even after his surgery that didn't stop but most importantly he couldn't stop playing the adult child patient.  When we got to Israel to "start a new life" he just couldn't and his emotional issues were too complicated plus there was a significant impact on Evan that got the Israeli school system and possibly authorities involved.  Thats when I "woke" up to my own reality.  We are all happier for it. 

Bridget

Price S.
on 6/28/14 8:17 am - Mills River, NC

Welcome back.  I don't know anything about revision from RNY but the little I know about DS is that it is a great surgery but you really need to stay on track, esp with your vitamins and minerals.  And, you can out eat any surgery, no matter how good.  Jody has hypoglycemia so hopefully she will chime in about that.  And Gina is our resident expert on DS. 

One way or the other, stick around.  We love it when folks come back to see us.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

BridgetJones
on 6/29/14 12:13 am - Belle Vernon, PA

I am hoping they'll share all their knowledge with me!

Bridget

BridgetJones
on 6/29/14 11:43 pm - Belle Vernon, PA

I actually am religious about vitamins and I should have realized what MacMadame is saying about the malabsorption failing in 2012 because even before then my blood levels were "normal."  I still take folic acid and B-12, I supplement D-3 and I take a one a day.  Other than that I don't need anything else but the occassional red steak and a protein drink.

Bridget

southernlady5464
on 6/28/14 10:24 pm

Welcome back, Bridget.

There are ONLY a handful of DS surgeons who can do a TRUE RNY to DS revision. Reason I say that is many have been told it's "AS good as" A DS but all they really do is the extended/distal RNY. They don't give you back your pyloric valve which will help control the RH.

So you may have to travel to get this done. MANY RNY's end up DS'ers...if you haven't already, post on the DS board.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

BridgetJones
on 6/29/14 12:15 am - Belle Vernon, PA

I am fairly sure that my doctor does this revision but like I said, I am only in the planning stages on both of our parts.  I told them I was interested in VSG or DS.  I'd love to hear from Jody and MM about these and their opinions about the revision.  It seems they are the same except for the malabsorption which I think is important to me since I am used to that with the RNY.

Bridget

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 304 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 428 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 491 views