Rita Ora's hair stylist injects her with B12: is high B12 why I've been feeling good?

Huneypie
on 10/8/13 3:39 am, edited 10/8/13 4:31 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

I've been feeling more energetic the last few months and I wonder if my sky high B12 levels are part of the reason as injecting B12 seems to be a new fad.  The sublinguals absorb very nicely even for malabsorbers, so no need for injectables! ;-)

Anyway, there's a link to the article that got me thinking about this below:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2433715/rita-or a-tweets-picture-hair-stylish-injecting-vitamin-b12-bottom.h tml

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Huneypie
on 10/8/13 3:47 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

This one is interesting too, it's saying that you don't have to be deficient to benefit from a boost.  My PCP won't prescribe me anything until I'm deficient and even then I'd have to request something to get it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2191161/The-60p-in jection-boost-flagging-energy.html

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Jody ***
on 10/8/13 6:58 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with

I think that's par with PCP's - they want to wait until your deficient.  Then it's harder to get and keep you up where you should be.

B12 - yes.  I can definitely tell when I've missed a few days of my vitamins.  I get fatigued easy - and that includes my D3.

Luckily, B12 is water soluable so you can't get "toxic" from it - so it's really no harm, but I really do hate to see fads like this.  Next will be D, which CAN be toxic in higher doses - but the person has to be VERY high... but the "normal" person doesn't know anything about that.

My sublinguals also do the trick for me.  Absorb well.  I've always had my B12 in the 1200's.  The last time I went to the Dr they told me to reduce it - uh huh.  I just shake my head yes and do what I want!! 

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

Huneypie
on 10/8/13 4:56 pm - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
Yes mine's over 2,000 so I've cut back to taking it 4 days a week as there's no point in flushing my money. I'd like to keep mine over 1,500 though. My D is very low and I just recently doubled it to 1000,000 iu so I'm hoping I'll feel even better soon.

I  my DS  

MacMadame
on 10/8/13 5:09 pm - Northern, CA

The problem with B12 is that the lab levels are whack. So they say 300 is in range but symptoms of a deficiency have been seen with numbers as high as 500. Which means the range should really start higher than 500.

Some people whose judgment I trust think the range should be around 750 to 2000. I like to keep mine around 1000. Which I can do without supplementing just by drinking Vitamin Water Zero and taking the Celebrate multis (which have a lot of B12 in them).

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Huneypie
on 10/8/13 8:56 pm - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

Yes, docs don' like to treat 'til you're symptomatic - they seem to be rather more into cure rather than prevention!! :-S

I  my DS  

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/8/13 8:58 pm
My body does not retain the sublingual. But my levels are OK with injections. With weekly injections - my level stays at 800-1200.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Roz !!!!
on 10/9/13 1:04 am - Butler, PA

I love your "failure" quote!!!!

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

Huneypie
on 10/9/13 1:49 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

Yes it surprised me to read about people not being able to absorb sublinguals which can lead to Pernicious Anemia.  Very thought provoking - I'd love know what causes this, but then so would a lot of people, I'm sure.

I  my DS  

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/9/13 2:39 am, edited 10/9/13 2:39 am

I think my body absorbs some - but as soon as I get that it - it clears it out (my theory) . With injections (muscle, fat)  the site release the B12 slower - keeps more in the blood...  This is my theory.. and research.  In the past I needed weekly or even twice a week. Now - as times goes by - once a week or even every 10 days is fine.

I like mine  > 800... That's the number that I start feeling "low".  One way for me to check - is to give myself a shot. If my B12 was not ideal - I will get a real energy rush.  But if my levels are OK - I may not get not effect what so ever.  But like refueling the tank - I hate going on empty. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 304 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 428 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 491 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 510 views