delicate poop question...

stonerose
on 8/28/13 10:24 am - MI
RNY on 07/16/13

So today my BM was very pale, like almost white.  I googled it and most sites said this was a bile duct problem - could be blocked, etc.  But then I saw where a site said "malabsorbtion of fat" which I thought - well that's supposed to happen.  But it hasn't happened before today.

Normal?  Thoughts?

Dr. Kibwe Weaver, Kalamazoo, MI RNY 7/16/13 SW 233/CW 168.8/GW130

katiekat412
on 8/28/13 10:37 am
That happens to me sometimes. Not sure what causes it for me, but I haven't had any health issues because of it.

Highest weight 250/ SW 233/Lowest Weight 135/Regain Highest 175/Current Weight 160

stonerose
on 8/28/13 10:44 am - MI
RNY on 07/16/13

Thanks, good to know.

Dr. Kibwe Weaver, Kalamazoo, MI RNY 7/16/13 SW 233/CW 168.8/GW130

Candy V.
on 8/28/13 10:45 am - MI
RNY on 09/12/12

Vanilla protein shakes or lots of yogurt can cause this for me. Did you eat anything that seems like a culprit?  No color in=no color out LOL

RNY 9/12    TT 9/13    HT 5' 4"   HW 250    SW 242   CW 125

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want a group invite?  Send a PM  

Price S.
on 8/28/13 9:35 pm - Mills River, NC

You are still early out and I wouldn't worry as long as you were pooping .  We eat so little early out that almost anything is normal in the beginning.  So folks are really loose from all the liquid, some don't go because of lack of fiber. 

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

ImDun
on 9/12/13 1:58 pm
RNY on 02/26/13

Mine was like that for a few months after surgery but gradually darkened.  Not sure what it was but doesn't seem to be a concern now.  My bowel movements are daily and quite a bit.  Dr. Oz would be proud...I know...TMI....

Huneypie
on 9/13/13 6:45 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

I had white poop a year ago and I suspect liver function - I'm fine now and nothing came of it, but there's a full thread discussing my white poop here http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4572763/What-causes-whi te-poop/#37905616

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Huneypie
on 9/13/13 6:47 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

The main info's here in case you have issues with the link:

"Brown, black and even green are normal colors for stool, but never pale white. White stool can be a sign of serious problems in the digestive tract. A variety of diseases and conditions can cause stool to turn pale or white. Consult a medical professional.

Liver Dysfunction

Disorders of the liver including cirrhosis, hepatitis and cancer can decrease bile production, resulting in white stools. The liver may not be able to actively produce bile, or the bile may not be able to leave the liver due to cysts or tumors. Jaundice, dark urine and itching skin are additional symptoms of liver disease.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/23208-causes-white-stool/# ixzz27b3rnqqo

Dr. Oz says!

The color of stool can vary dramatically and can also be a clue as to whether various disease states are present.

Normal stool is brown due to its composition: bacteria, water, bile, bilirubin, broken-down red blood celIs and indigestible plant matter like cellulose, along with small amounts of protein and fat.

Red stool is most worrisome as it indicates bleeding in the lower GI tract from conditions like hemorrhoids or diverticulosis, or more serious conditions like rectal cancer. Red stool can also be caused by ingesting red food coloring or beets. While it should always be reported, it's not always an ominous sign.

Green stool can occur with rapid transit through the intestines where bile doesn't have a chance to be broken down to its final brown color. Green can also be a sign of Crohn's disease, antibiotic use, ingestion of leafy greens or iron therapy.

Yellow stool can be the result of gallbladder dysfunction which causes improper handling of bile. Infection with giardia lamblia produces a characteristic yellow diarrhea. In addition to causing diarrhea, different types of infection in the GI tract, whether viral, bacterial or parasitic, may cause changes in stool color.

White stool can be a sign of fat malabsorption, as with pancreatitis and pancreatic cancer, but barium used for X-rays can also give the same appearance. Mucus in the stool can give it a whitish appearance and may be due to inflammation or benign conditions like IBS.

Black stool should trigger a search for bleeding from the upper part of the GI tract (esophagus, stomach or small intestine), but can also be seen with iron therapy, heavy meat consumption, and bismuth-containing compounds.

Light-appearing clay-colored stools are characteristic of liver disease and decreased bile output, but can also be caused by antacids containing aluminum hydroxide. Vitamins and supplements commonly cause changes in urine color but may also change stool color.

Call the doc just to be sure"

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 308 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 432 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 497 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 515 views