Feeling Sorry for Myself

bostonlass
on 8/13/13 6:39 am - MA
VSG on 08/27/13

I"m having a pity party for one today.  I am a single mom of two teenaged daughters.  I am recently divorced (in Nov '12) and my parents are elderly so no one will be visiting me at the hospital. My dad is gracious enough to pick me up and drop me off but that is about it.

I was single for a long time before I was married and even after the divorce I felt good about being free to do what I wanted. In other words not having a significant other never really bothered me until now. Do you sleep a lot in the hospital?  I figure if I'm sleeping half the time maybe I won't notice that no one showed up to see how I'm doing.  I guess I should look at it as a vacation from the kiddos but for some reason I"m not happy about it.  Just had to share and see if anyone else was alone in their journey.

On a brighter note I started my 2 week preop diet and it's going pretty well. I'm able to have two lean cuisine meals (just the approved ones though that have no to little carbs) and as many veggies as I can eat along with two protein drinks.  I was only hungry once and that was because it was time for my afternoon shake.  Instead of feeling deprived I'm actually looking at the goal and feeling good about myself. 

Cricket2000
on 8/13/13 7:33 am - IN

It's going to be fine :) .

I flew to MX for my surgery, alone, and enjoyed not being bothered by anyone.  

I don't remember sleeping a lot but I do remember enjoying the pain pills and zoning out on them.  I enjoyed my heating pad for my back and neck.  I did not read at all, that would have taken some concentration that the pain pills did not allow. I did enjoy meeting the other patients but loved not being obligated to socialize beyond what I wanted to do.  

Enjoy the peace and quiet, and concentrate on healing.  This is a new beginning just for you, and even if you are feeling uncomfortable from the surgery, try to enjoy and remember that your new life starts here.  I think, the fact that you are alone, can be an opportunity to set your mind and mood at healing and embracing what's to come.   I remember the next 4 weeks as  being challenging, but so doable.  A positive spirit will be very helpful.  Sometimes being distanced by negative relatives, that mean well, but aren't well, can be a good thing.  

HW 200, surgery weight 190, Goal Weight 140, Current Weight 140, Height 5 foot 8 1/2
Sleeve Surgery by Aceves on Feb 10, 2011

stonerose
on 8/13/13 9:16 am - MI
RNY on 07/16/13

I was just reflecting on how little my husband visited me in the hospital and I really didn't notice until I got out.  He was busy with work and watching the kids - but I didn't care.  I was zonked out a lot and sleeping a lot.  I didn't really want any company.

Dr. Kibwe Weaver, Kalamazoo, MI RNY 7/16/13 SW 233/CW 168.8/GW130

Price S.
on 8/13/13 9:34 am - Mills River, NC

DH came every day but not for the whole day.  I was pretty zonked anyway and was just as happy to sleep off the meds.  When I had my knee replacement, then the manipulation, it was in another city and he didn't spend more than an hour a day there.  It was fine.  You really won't care. 

De-caffinate and de-carbonate while you are doing your 2 week diet.  Stop drinking with meals.  Learn to sip tiny sips and take bites the size of a pencil erraser.  You will be really ready.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Tracy D.
on 8/13/13 11:03 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13
Frankly, I didn't want anyone at the hospital with me. I looked like crap, was exhausted and it took all my focus just to get in and out of bed. My hubby took me and was there for the surgery but I didn't have him come bac****il I was ready to leave. I didn't even watch TV the whole time I was there!

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

(deactivated member)
on 8/13/13 12:42 pm

Yeah lol .. I was told i looked like I got hit by a " mack truck " post op .  Honestly you WONT CARE a bit if anyones there .. realistically  you wont have showered  you'll probably feel gross and the best hing U can do is walk , forget about combing Ur hair , walk some more , breathe thru the litle blowy thingy tube that expands Ur lungs and stops the pain :) ... 

be Ur own hero .  If U can talk to the other patients on Ur ward .. don't lose touch (((()))) 

we'll be swinging da LIZARD  4 ya !

bostonlass
on 8/13/13 11:12 pm - MA
VSG on 08/27/13

Thanks everyone- I feel so much better about it now!  I do remember after my hysterectomy not wanting anyone to come because I was in so much pain and very tired. 

mamakay22
on 8/13/13 11:31 pm - AL

I had family with me and sent them home so I could rest and walk by myself.  My grown daughter was not happy neither was my husband but I insisted.  So you probably won't want anyone there.  Good luck!

Ashley in Belgium
on 8/14/13 3:23 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Just had my surgery 6 days ago and spent 5 days in hospital.  I can honestly say that after 5 minutes with my husband and 3 boys crowding my room I just wanted them to leave so I could go back to vegging out.  So I finally said - let's text, but no more visits.  I didn't read a single page of the books I brought, nor watched TV.  I did enjoy the peace of listening to my favorite music on my ipod in the dark.  It's been forever that I just got to relax and not worry about anyone but myself.

You'll do fine.  Take advantage of the time for yourself.  Good luck with your pre-op preparations and surgery.

Ashley

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

Ladytazz
on 8/14/13 7:17 am

I had to be at the hospital at 5:30 am on the day of my surgery so my boyfriend came 40 miles to pick me up and drop me at the hospital.  I was alone the whole time except when my teen age daughter came and slept over one night.  I could have cared less.  I was so out of it I probably wouldn't have known someone was there.  But I am the type that likes to be alone when I don't feel well.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 304 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 428 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 491 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 510 views