Tomorrow's the day - one question for recent post-ops.

stonerose
on 7/15/13 8:39 am - MI
RNY on 07/16/13

So, I go in tomorrow morning for my RNY.  I'm scared and ready.  I have one question - especially for those who have recently gone through it - I've been on the full liquid diet for 2 weeks and a clear liquid diet for the last two days - I am STARVING - but not really hungry - just craving texture and flavor and real food.  Will that go away for a few weeks after surgery?  I'm living for the day I can eat applesauce and pea soup (pureed of course).  I am hoping that the surgery will take some of this yearning away for a few weeks - otherwise I'm gonna be frantic!

Christine

starting weight 234, CW 223 GW 130.

Dr. Kibwe Weaver, Kalamazoo, MI RNY 7/16/13 SW 233/CW 168.8/GW130

MajorMom
on 7/15/13 9:06 am - VA

Wishing you good luck and all the best. 

What I remember is the way tastes changed soon after surgery, once I got over that a bit, head hunger hit. lol  You won't have any room to be hungry and your first priority will be fluids. Hang on tight, it's a crazy ride.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

lerkhart
on 7/15/13 10:00 am

Good luck tomorrow!!  Keep us posted when you can.

I only still have head hunger.  I hardly ever get real hunger.  Sometimes it is hard to tell the difference. 

If I remember correctly, I had no desire for anything after surgery and had to do it on a schedule because I could have gone all day without anything.

Linda

14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Price S.
on 7/15/13 10:56 am - Mills River, NC

Not a recent surgery here but I really remember not wanting anything.  food smelled good but I was totally uninterested in it for what seemed like months.  I was ready for each diet phase due to boredom but not hunger.  I wasn't hungry for months.  Like Linda, I ate on schedule and drank on schedule but really wasn't hungry.

Hang on    it a wild ride!!

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

(deactivated member)
on 7/15/13 12:21 pm

i had my RNY a long time ago but I remember it well.  I missed food a lot .. and like you I complied with the liquid diet beforehand in order to qualify for the surgery.  I could eat afterwards .. and did, just making sure to follow the doctors schedule regarding liquids , amounts and purees.  Its really important to let things heal tight so self-medicating with food can't be an option. 

Here are a few mistakes I made.  Having been used to a very high fiber diet I ate fruit skins a few weeks post op and almost had to get cut open when they got stuck .  I also got dehydrated because I wasn't used to drinking water ( I ATE my liquids my whole life lol) .  I didn't do the blow thingy enough and suffered unnecessary side pain as a consequence .   What I DID do well was I did a lot of walking .. and healed very fast and relatively pain free as a result .  I also tried to go back to work too soon and that was a disaster on many levels lol.

(((()))) Good luck tomorrow ..I'll be thinking of U ! 

stonerose
on 7/15/13 12:28 pm - MI
RNY on 07/16/13

Thanks everyone - I have made it through the day - sugar free popsicles (which I had not had before) helped with the hunger.  I am about to take my special soap shower and go to bed.  Last glass of gatorade (required) before bed.  I'll be back when I get home.

Christine

Dr. Kibwe Weaver, Kalamazoo, MI RNY 7/16/13 SW 233/CW 168.8/GW130

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 308 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 432 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 497 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 515 views