started pre-op diet and I cheated!

stonerose
on 7/5/13 4:12 am - MI
RNY on 07/16/13

Today I'm on my third day of the pre-op liquid diet.  The doc is really specific about what we can drink and there's five choices.  The first day I did the Unjury and that was okay.  Yesterday I did the Carnation Instant sugar free - and I felt very unsatisfied - when my sons got pizza I grabbed a slice and ate it!  Swam today to work it off and today I'm doing the Atkins Advantage - by far the most satisfying - I might just stick with it for the remainder. 

I know I can do this.  I've done it before, and it will get easier as time passes.  Wish me luck.  And someone tell me that my early fall off the wagon won't be too detrimental?

Christine

Dr. Kibwe Weaver, Kalamazoo, MI RNY 7/16/13 SW 233/CW 168.8/GW130

MacMadame
on 7/5/13 4:19 am - Northern, CA

Don't get my started on the stupidity of putting lightweights on a two-week liquid pre-op diet... I could go on all day about it!

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Tracy D.
on 7/5/13 5:31 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I wish you all the luck in the world! 

While I won't give you permission to cheat I will tell you that my surgeon doesn't require a two-week pre-op liquid diet for his lightweight patients.  He did require me to lose a certain number of pounds prior to surgery, which I did.  Unless you have a really unhealthy liver it doesn't make a lot of sense to me for him to order this.  But then again, I'm not a doctor

Don't beat yourself up - if you can stick to it 80% of the time I would say you're doing good.  And I thank god for my surgeon's common sense. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

A. Kondrlik
on 7/5/13 7:41 am
VSG on 01/24/13

Is your diet for 2  weeks?  The purpose of the 2 week liquid diet is to shrink your liver according to my surgeon, anyway.  Sounds like your surgeon feels the same way.  I was even only allowed to drink certain types of protein drink.  If the Atkins is on your list then go for it.  If you are not then I would check with doc to see what is acceptable.  I used Unjury and it went surprisingly well.  Drink tons of water and sugarfree liquids, that will help keep you filled up.  If allowed sugar free popsicles and sugarfree jello helped.I asked the nutritionist what would happen if my liver doesn't shrink enough and she told me the surgeon would switch me from rny to sleeve.  Well I ended up choosing the sleeve anyway. 

You are certainly not the first person to have a cheat during the 2 week preop, since you are early in the 2 weeks I imagine you will be ok.  I would be careful from now on, however.  Especially as you get closer to your surgery day.

Anne

HW 259    GW 145    CW 140.2  Not finished yet?   

Price S.
on 7/5/13 8:00 am - Mills River, NC

Seems like the 3-4 days are the worse.  I was on a 4 week, optifast shake and 1 small food meal.  Each Dr is different.  We could have unlimited celery and cukes so if you need to cheat, maybe get some celery.  the only time that is really important is the last day or two.  Then you want to follow the plan exactly. 

You can do this.  And it won't be long before you have a tool to help.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

stonerose
on 7/5/13 8:07 am - MI
RNY on 07/16/13

Thanks all - on the last 2 days I get switched to a full clear liquid diet and bowl prep - (fun fun!) with lots of G2 - they said if potassium is low they won't operate.  I'm eating tons of SF jello  - as it is the only thing I can "chew" - I'm going to ask hubby to make the next batch with Knox gelatin to make it chewier.  I like the Atkins, the Unjury wasn't too bad.  There's only three other choices and that's it.  I also have been having a cup of warm chicken broth every night, which makes me feel like I've eaten a hot meal somehow.  Price - I assume you mean the first 3-4 days are the hardest?  Yes, I hope so, I do think today was a bit easier than yesterday.  Haven't cheated today yet.....

Dr. Kibwe Weaver, Kalamazoo, MI RNY 7/16/13 SW 233/CW 168.8/GW130

Kermit P.
on 7/5/13 10:57 am

First few days are the hardest and a piece of pizza this early in probably wont matter.  Would encourage you though to pick protein if you are going to "cheat".   I am not saying to do this though.  One thing that helped me was to have soup with no "stuff" in it...tasted heavenly and was still liquid.  I know that isnt on your approved list though. I did a shortened version (9 days) as I just dont think lightweights really need a 14 day liquid diet beforehand unless we have a fatty liver. 

Good luck...you can do this....as the days go on it gets easier and then surgery day will be here!!

~~Jennifer

HW/232       CW/145.2       GW/???
stonerose
on 7/5/13 12:29 pm - MI
RNY on 07/16/13

When you say soup with no "stuff" in it do you mean broth?  I have been eating Swanson's chicken broth with pepper.

Kermit P.
on 7/5/13 12:39 pm

I actually would go to the grocery store near the salad bar and get the soup but just the broth part.  You could also make your own broth.  It was SOOOO good.....much better than the canned brother.   I craved savory after surgery too and would make ramen broth (no noodles) and my 2-3 oz were like pure heaven.  I so enjoy taste....surgery sure didnt change that.

Good luck.....this is a great board so post questions....I have learned a great deal from this board and it has helped me a lot!!!

~~Jennifer

HW/232       CW/145.2       GW/???
stonerose
on 7/5/13 12:40 pm - MI
RNY on 07/16/13

Thanks, that's a great idea.

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 308 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 432 views