New here

jen1016
on 10/28/12 10:09 pm - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 09/19/13

Hi there,

I am new to the boards and I found this one over the weekend while doing some searching.  I created a few posts in the Ontario forum, because I am from Ottawa, Ontario and people have been very welcoming.  I just thought I would check this board out as well, since I am pretty sure I am considered a "lightweight"!

I am just at the beginning of this whole process.  My family doctor had sent my referral in a month ago, and I should be getting my letter this week regarding the orientation session.  

The main questions I have been asking and perhaps someone on this board might be able to help me, is more related to the weight loss - how many lbs to expect etc.  I know, I know we really shouldn't concentrate on the 'numbers' but it's hard not too!

I am 40 years old, I am 5'1 and currently weight 225 lbs.   I did the OptiFast program 3 years ago, with the Weight Management Clinic here in Ottawa and lost about 47 lbs, and unfortunately over the last few years it has come back.  I spoke to a doctor at the WMC about 8 months ago, and at that time she indicated I didn't quite meet the criteria for the surgery, I was off by about 5-10 lbs.  Unfortunately, since that appointment, by BMI has now gone up and i have reached that point :(!!

I guess my question is, as well know the BMI charts would indicate someone for my height should weigh in around 130 ( at the high end) and at that point I would be in the "normal range' for my BMI.  Is that really doable, to lose approx 95 lbs?  Does our body stop losing weight, when we reach a "happy weight" for our bodies? 

My other question is, because we are "lightweights" will we still have as much excess skin?  I have recently joined a gym, and wonder if I start exercising now if this will help with my skin as well? 

Clearly, I want to be healthy and just happy about my overall self - but it would be nice to know how other people have done, with similar stats to myself, so I can kind of prepare myself more with what to expect. 

I think, I am looking forward to this chapter in my life ... from reading different boards over the weekend it seems like a long process ... but I think, I am on the right track :) !!!!

Thanks and have a great day :)

Jennifer

southernlady5464
on 10/28/12 10:42 pm

Welcome, Jennifer.

While LW's tend to LOOK like we don't lose as fast as the heavyweights, we do tend to get to goal faster, most within a year.

I weighed 203 pre-surgery for a BMI of 35.2. My normal BMI (High end) cut off is 144.8. I currently weigh 131 (gained a lb last week due to extra sodium trying to avoid carbs). I had my surgery on the 24th of Jan 2011 and was at my normal BMI by Aug. I then kept slowly dropping til I got to 130. The time between reaching a normal BMI and 130 took almost as long as getting to normal to begin with, LOL

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

jen1016
on 10/28/12 10:58 pm - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 09/19/13

Thanks for the information Liz and that's great!  :)

So I notice your pre-surgery weight was 203, did your BMI not have to be a certain criteria to qualify for the surgery?  Or did you end up losing weight while in the process?  I guess that's another question of mine too!  Because, if this process is going to take a while and from reading other posts on the Ontario boards, it takes a while here in Ottawa from start to finish - I don't know if I should just try and maintain the weight I am at, or if it's okay to lose some weight!

southernlady5464
on 10/28/12 11:02 pm
Jennifer, my insurance (Medicare Advantage) required over 40 if no comorbids, but over 35 with comorbids. I had insulin pump dependent diabetes, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, and GERD. The diabetes was enough alone to qualify me.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

hollykim
on 10/29/12 1:12 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

Hi Jen,welcome.

I was shorter and heavier and older  at 4'11' AND 246# and 54 WHEN i HAD MY vsg. bY 18 MONTHS OUT i HAD LOST 98#,SO  YES IT IS ABSOLUTELY DOABLE.  a LOT DEPENDS ON HOW WELL YOU STAY ON YOUR EATING PLAN AS FOR MOST OF US THE SURGERY IS A WONDERFUL TOOL THAT HELPS US STAY ON THE TRACK WE WANT TO BE ON BUT DOESN'T DO ALL THE WORK. My BMI was up in the 60's and I had Type II diabetes,HBP and could hardly walk.

i HAD MY SURGERY IN MX SO CAN't address the ins issues very well,oh sorry for shouting but not gonna go back and change all that,lol

Most of us at a certain age will have excess skin,it dependos a lot on genetics and also how heavy we were and for how long. The only kind of working out that will help is lifting weights. Even then,no exercisr or lifting is going to change the loose skin,it just is. what the lifting does is make your muscles larger to give something larger for the loose skin to drape over which makes it "look" less saggy.

I have been thrilled with my decision to have WLS all my comorbids are gone except GERD and it is manageable. I applaud you for doing this now instead of waiting till your  health is compromised with all the things obesity can bring.

Good luck and keep us posted. This is a very zen,loving supportive group. you will always be welcome here,lightweight or no.

H

Price S.
on 10/29/12 2:59 am - Mills River, NC

Hi Jennifer and welcome.

I was 61, 4'11" and 220 when I had surgery.  I got at low as 111 but have seemed to stablize around 117-119.  I would have been happy at 140 but I just kept going and my body did let me know when it was ready to stop.  I do have some excess skin but I look darn good in clothes.

It's a long process but one that has changed my life for the better.  My only regret is not doing it sooner.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

jen1016
on 10/29/12 3:50 am - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 09/19/13

Thanks everyone. 

When I spoke to my family doctor he was the one who suggested the surgery, saying being 40, I was at the perfect age for it and do not have any major health issues at this point - so I am glad, that I have decided to start the process as well at this point in my life!  It will be like a new life, in a sense!

Turtle Lynn
on 10/29/12 4:51 am - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with

Hi and welcome!  You picked a great forum to hang out on! 

I'm a revision surgery, a lightweight this time around, with a starting weight of 237 at 5'4" and am 5 months out and down to 179 so far. 

I had originally gotten the LapBand at 287+ lbs (HUGE mistake), lost down to 187 lbs and than had plastic surgery because I had a HUGE hanging pannus/stomach and had a breast reduction and lift at the same time, so with you starting out as a  lightweight, I can't really say how much extra skin you may or may not have.  It depends on how you're built.  The majority of my extra weight was in my stomach and 2 c-sections didn't help any lol. 

Best of luck to you, and keep us updated on how things are going for you!  Feel free to ask questions, this board is full of AMAZING people and you will always be steered in the right direction! 

HW 287, GW 150,  CW 168   ** Band to RNY 05/29/12 **

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? Join us-Lightweights Board

Jody ***
on 10/29/12 5:03 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with

Hi and welcome!

I was 49 years old, 5'2" and 218 lbs.  I got down to 121, lowest with my goal 125.  I maintained 123 for well over a year but am now at 133.  I've had some "bounce back" regain.  Oh - I reached my goal of 125 in 10 months.  

I had quite a bit of extra skin and did have plastic surgery to correct some of it.  With the bounce back though (and redistribution that will happen without bounce back) parts that were really baggy before started filling in some.  As far as exercise and loose skin - skin has elasticity and it all depends on how long you've been heavy and what elasticity is left in your skin.  Muscle is what's worked at the gym... and if you get a good muscle mass it can help the skin look better.  

Let your body decide how far to go.  You'll get well-wishers saying you're too thin, look sick, etc, but it passes.  They get used to seeing you thin, but your body will redistribute what's left to the appropriate places.  

Good luck - and glad you found us!  

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

lerkhart
on 10/29/12 10:12 am

Hi Jennifer and welcome to the LW Board.
I am 5' 1 1/2" and at my highest 248.5.  I am 126 now and have stayed right about here since I stopped losing.  I have not had any bounce back yet and I am over 3 years out.

Keep us updated on your progress.

Linda

14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 308 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 432 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 497 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 516 views