HBO's Weight of the Nation series?

paranoidmother21
on 5/16/12 12:11 am - Lake Zurich, IL
Has anybody else been watching this?  I caught the first 2, and DVRd the second set.

I was fascinated by a lot of the info, and particularly a comment made by one of the physicians/scientists on the first night (it was either late in the first segment, or early in the second).  He stated that, if you took two people who had the same states as far as height, weight, body fat, gender, and everything else, but one person had naturally settled at that weight and the other person had lost X amount (something relatively small - 7-10% I think), the person who had lost the weight would need to consume fewer calories by about 20% for the rest of their life to not regain the weight due to the metabolic changes resulting from the original weight gain and then the slowing with calorie restriction.

I want to find that study and see how, exactly, they figured that out as it would explain a whole lot about some of our issues with generic BMR calculators and tracking sites that place us on (again) generic calorie targets.

Anybody else have any thoughts?

The series itself I found very even handed as far as discussing the reasons that we've, as a nation, been becoming more and more obese.  There was discussion of weight loss through caloric restriction combined with exercise (which they came pretty close to dissing as impractical given the amount of exercise needed to burn the type of calories most people consume anyway), as well as a segment on a judge who had RNY with some complications.  I do wish they'd spoken more about the other surgeries, but was glad they at least acknowledged that WLS can be valuable.

I was surprised that I haven't seen anyone post about the series on any of the boards - seems like it would be right up our alleys!
Rebecca
Circumferential LBL, anchor TT, BL/BR, brachioplasty 12-16-10 Drs. Howard and Gutowski

Thigh lift 3-24-11, Drs. Howard and Gutowski again!
Height 5' 5".  Start point 254.  DH's goal: 154.  My guess: 144.  Insurance goal: 134.  Currently bouncing around 130-135.

lerkhart
on 5/16/12 2:01 am
I've watched some of it on the news, but don't get HBO.  20/20 had an episode last Friday night about the obesity problem.  MM from the main board & RNY board was suppose to be on it but they pulled her part and put 2 "doctors" that had 5 people die from lap band surgery.

I think most of our metabolisms are shot from the years of yo-yo dieting.  I could lose weight when I was younger, just could not keep it off. 

Gina posted an article yesterday morning about stopping the obesity crisis in America that was pretty interesting.

I hate that I raised my kids on fast food and junk food and see that they are now having to deal with some of the same issues that I had to deal with.  I wonder what kind of difference it would have made if I had raised them on healthy things instead.

Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
terithecook
on 5/16/12 11:25 am - NY
I watched 3 out of the 4 episodes, and although I was happy they had a segment on bariatric surgery, I wi**** was a segment that included both with and without complications. 

I couldn't get over the segment about the two people that have the same weight, but one struggled to get to it and the other maintained it.  It explains alot. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 308 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 432 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 497 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 515 views