Tummy Tuck Pre-op is behind me!! WOOHOO!! x-post

fatoldbat
on 8/30/11 9:57 pm
well.....had my tummy tuck pre-op appointment yesterday.  it was a very informative appointment.  my surgery is scheduled for Tuesday....PS's office will call me friday to let me know what time to come in.  got a handful of scripts.....pain meds, muscle relaxers, antibiotics, nausea meds (pills, suppositories, and patches that go behind my ear) which i'll have filled today.  had to go get the ugly white knee socks (the $31.99 wouldn't have been quite as bad if they were cute socks) to take with me tuesday morning.

i was surprised to learn that i won't have a binder for the first few days.  they gave a pretty lengthy explanation about blood flow or something but did say that when i start wearing the binder, he wants me to wear it for 6-8 weeks.

also....was told to wear button up shirts....oh my gosh!!  my p.j.'s and loungewear consists of the tshirt type sleep pants with the matching tshirts!  it's supposed to make it easier for the drains!  i've got lots of button up shirts.....but they're certainly not going to be comfy while i recover!  i did find 1 or 2 that might be acceptable....i'm thinking i'd wear those to the dr appointments and do the tshirts/sleep shirts at home.....but....don't tell anybody!

they also said they will send the machine home with me that inflates the things around your legs.  these things velcro around your legs and it will inflate/deflate......this should really accentuate the ugly white support socks.....and when you factor in the no make up....no hair spray(my hair is very short and if i don't style it...well....it lays flat and i look like a boy!).....i'm going to really be a sight to behold!!!

i asked about bandages.....for the first week or so the dr's office will be the ones to change bandages....and they said that as soon as possible it would be better to go without bandages all together....the "let it get air" thing.  not sure how the binder would feel against the incision even if i wear a tank top under the binder......i mentioned the maxi pad idea....they said using maxipads for lyposuction is awesome....but they definately don't want it for tummy tuck....

they said absolutely no sweeping/mopping/vacuuming for minimum of 6 weeks....wow....gotta hate that one!

just wanted to give an update!  WOOHOO!!  6 days to go!!!!  WOOHOO (i think)

blessings to all!

jenni
Blessings,  J
HW 250.4/SW 238/1ST GOAL 155/2ND GOAL 150/CW 143.6
    LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Price S.
on 8/30/11 11:40 pm - Mills River, NC
wow, that's a lot of information I would have never thought about.  No where is a tt in my future, rather get a new knee, but didn't know it would involve all that.

And a quick date, another wow.  Good luck and hope it is everything you are looking for.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Jody ***
on 8/31/11 1:16 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with
Hey - congrats on the consult!

Wear a "wife beater" tank under your binder - it works wonders and keeps the goop from your incisions off our binder and keeps it from rubbing.  Walmart has them in 3 packs - pick up 2 - you'll be glad you did!

Now I had to wear my binder from day 1 - I've heard different Dr's opinions regarding that... do what your doc says.  The explanation I got for wearing it was since the skin had been peeled up, you needed the compression to have it re-adhere and heal. 

Button up for drains?  Yea, I can see where that would be easier, but you STILL have to wear pants unless they're long like pajama nightshirt length.  I wore large sweat pants and used a big diaper pin to pin the drains to the top band - so they weren't hanging and pulling.  Then, since my surger was in the winter, I wore a HUGE sweatshirt overtop - especially if leaving the house. 

Sorry to hear you have to wear the compression socks - I HATE those things! 

Sounds like you did get a lot of good info.

Oh - one more word of advice.  Set a kitchen timer (I went to Target and bought one that you could set for HOURS) and set it throughout the night.  I had those little plastic pill cups that I put my meds in (liquid Loritab) and woke myself up every 4 hours to take - you will thank yourself in the morning when you aren't feeling like you will die if you move. 

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

fatoldbat
on 8/31/11 2:15 am
awesome idea about the timer and the tank tops!!!  i'll definately put that one on my shopping list!

i'll just be glad when its a done deal!  how long did it take for you to feel a little more like yourself?  i'm hoping the worst part will be over within a few days!
Blessings,  J
HW 250.4/SW 238/1ST GOAL 155/2ND GOAL 150/CW 143.6
    LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
lerkhart
on 8/31/11 2:38 am
Good luck Jenni.  Hope you have a speedy recovery from your Tummy Tuck!!

No PS for me in the future.  I'll have to live with what I have!!

Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Eliza55
on 8/31/11 10:06 am - PA
I had the ugly white support socks and the funky thing that inflates and deflates around your legs while I was in the hospital for RNY.  The support socks actually work quite well for extended airplane flights as well (I had previous pair that I use for that)
Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

kelly_hope
on 8/31/11 3:00 pm - Marysville, WA
An idea for the button ups.. try the big and tall men's section at K-mart or Wal-Mart. Then they will be long and big enough for comfort. Just an idea.

Congrats on your surgery!! How exciting! My insurance will cover mine, but I still have a long way to go before I'm ready!
 KELLY RNY  34yo 5'5" HW 288 SW 274 CW 188 GW 140

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 304 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 428 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 491 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 509 views