tummy tuck opinions

fatoldbat
on 7/7/11 11:08 pm
okay folks.....i went for a consultation for a tummy tuck......trying to decide what to do......i've lost 108 pounds and am at goal....weight has stabilized.....the tummy tuck is not a necessary thing....i can certainly live without it and the panni is not causing any problems so it will not be covered by my insurance......the cost....$7200......

hubby says go for it if it's what i want.........any opinions????  any advice??  this PS specializes in surgery after weight loss.....he is recommended by everyone in my support group...they say he's the best.  i really like him but i was really hoping it wouldn't cost quite that much.......

just want to get advice from those that have walked in my shoes!!
Blessings,  J
HW 250.4/SW 238/1ST GOAL 155/2ND GOAL 150/CW 143.6
    LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Jody ***
on 7/7/11 11:13 pm - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with
Hi There!

Yes, I had a tummy tuck, but my insurance paid for it. I upgraded to the full TT with muscle tightening for an additional $1000.  I want to say that if it didn't it was going to cost $5500.  That was 2010 prices. 

Its important to have a surgeon who specializes with people who have lost a lot of weight.  Our skin issues are very different than someone who hasn't. 

Sometimes its worth the price to have the right person do it, but I recommend you get a couple of more opinions.  See what they have to say.

Is it a vertical incision (anchor cut) or just the bikini cut?

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

fatoldbat
on 7/7/11 11:28 pm, edited 7/7/11 11:33 pm
he said i'll be cut from hip bone to hip bone....how were you cut?
Blessings,  J
Jody ***
on 7/7/11 11:40 pm - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with
I had the anchor cut, hip to hip and from my sternum to my horizontal cut.  Honestly, I didn't need the vertical cut and at times wish I hadn't had it.  Scars don't heal well on me... still red and raised.  It took care of the muffin top, but I've seen pictures of people who were a LOT bigger than me that had only the panni done and looked phenomenal.

Yea, I'm 52 also and was 50 when I had my surgery.  There IS a time for us... Had my "girls" done this year and just love'em.  Makes a big difference in your self confidence.  Guess it was easier for me to justify as I was single, kids grown and decided it was what I wanted.... and since insurance paid for it - why not?  Ok, it didn't pay for the "girls" but...

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

bowknot
on 7/7/11 11:22 pm
This is going to sound so vain, but I want a tummy tuck.  Like you it won't be a necessary thing for me.  I see it as my personal reward for my success.  I feel like it is selfish and expensive.  I have second thoughts (like yours) every day. 

DH wants me to do it if I want to do it.  In his mind, that's why we work.  I have that "Mom Guilt" about spending money on myself. He's right.  If it makes you feel better about yourself  and you can afford it, then do it. 

DH wants me to get my boobs done too.  He's a great guy, but still a man.

I'm still about a year out from plastics.  I think your issues are normal.

Kay
fatoldbat
on 7/7/11 11:32 pm
thanks so much!  sometimes i think....wow...that's so much money....then i think...i'm 52 years old and have spent so much of my life doing for other people....dang it...it's my turn....my rny is the first thing i really did just for me! 

so much to ponder!  the jury's still out on the boob job!  i'll have to do everything in stages....my tummy is what bothers me the most!
Blessings,  J
(deactivated member)
on 7/7/11 11:35 pm
I have been thinking about PS too; I almost 11 months out so I have a while, but I want my breast lifted up I am glad that I have smaller breast now, but they need some lifting lol. As far as my tummy goes it is not bad at all, so I can live with that, but these girls need some lifting, But these are issues we all will face one way or another, but we own it to ourselves to be all we can be, We have always given to others now it is our time to give to ourselves
southernlady5464
on 7/7/11 11:52 pm, edited 7/7/11 11:52 pm
I REALLY want one but see no way to have one unless the insurance pays for it and we will find the extra for the tummy tuck somehow. I also want my bat wings dealt with but I doubt that one will ever happen.

GO FOR IT!!!

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

newdirectionhome
on 7/8/11 12:26 am
 Go for it! You sound sensible and considerate. We work hard to lose weight and then we have a new issue, hanging skin.

Based on what I have heard from people in my support group $7200 sounds good. I was told to budget $10,000. I live in northern California and everything costs more here. One of my customers at work went to Mexico and is thrilled with results, got tummy tuck and breast lift/augmentation for $6500.

I know insurance won't pay. I am lucky no skin breaking down issues, just hanging "apron" of skin. My abdomen is pretty gross since I have had 7 abdominal surgeries in my lifetime so far. I don't worry about getting more scars. I have been saving for the surgery. It helps me to have a goal. My boobs almost reach my waist without a bra, but somehow that doesn't bother me. I can haul them up with a good bra. That sack of tummy skin makes my front as big as my butt, not easy to hide even in clothes. 

I am 65, single, and should save my money for "emergencies". Then I think I would spend whatever it takes to keep my car running well and looking good. Why not spend it on my body? I use it every minute of every day. 

Do what makes you happy and feel good with your decision.
 Wendy
5'3" SW: 210
loverofcats
on 7/8/11 1:49 am
Go for it!!! $7200 sounds reasonable for a tummy tuck. I had a much high quote for a LBL. What drives up the cost, is the price for anesthesia and the cost of the operating room. I don't plan on going to Mexico, because of some complications that I had with the VSG surgery. I don't want to take any chances of being out of the country, if those things should happen again.

I am also saving money for plastics and I am 57 years young. For once in my life, I would like to have a flat stomach.

Gail
     "          

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 304 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 428 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 491 views
Still kickin'...