Found some cardio I can do!!

Amy P.
on 6/19/11 12:08 am - Liberty Lake, WA

I took a vacation day on Friday and the hubby took me bicycle shopping.  My ortho surgeon is an avid bicyclist and he suggested I buy a good bike that fits me and try to ride.  My hip arthritis is so bad that running is now out of the question.

I tried out a few bikes and finally went with the Specialized Ariel Disc....which is the one my doc suggested in the first place.  I had to stretch out a bit (in hiding of course) so I could even get my leg over the darn seat, but I took off in the parking lot and was able to ride pretty much pain free!! 
I was quite nervous as there were several others outside and trying out bikes....I don't think I've been on a moving bike since I was in junior high~~~and my worst fear was falling and scratching the bike (could have come from my hubby saying "what ever you do don't fall and scratch that bike!")  Because of my limited hip rang of motion, I have to have the seat so high that I can't sit on it and touch the ground...not even close!

So we are going to bite the bullet and order it on Monday.  I shudder at paying $600 for a bike, but knowing that I can burn 675 calories in an hours ride is exciting!  I'll post photos after it comes in next week.

Amy
                                HT 5'3"~HW 218~SW 208~GW 125

(deactivated member)
on 6/19/11 2:18 am - Missoula, MT
 Yay!!!!!  So glad you got it figured out! Can't wait to see pictures. 
Price S.
on 6/19/11 3:34 am - Mills River, NC
Sounds great.  I  don't think it would work for me but if it will for you, hurray.  I did ride a bike for a while after my hips gave out and I remember it working for me then.  But then my knees were ok, not anymore.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Jody ***
on 6/19/11 5:01 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with
Amy - glad you found something that will work for you!! 

I just realized we have EXACTLY the same stats!! 

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

baat2010
on 6/19/11 11:03 am - IL
RNY on 11/29/10 with
Yea for finding the bike. I am impressed by your commitment to exercise! I hope your rides are fun and pain-free.

Amy
    LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
MacMadame
on 6/19/11 3:52 pm - Northern, CA
Biking is so much fun! You are gonna love it!

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

graciesmommie
on 6/20/11 12:21 am
I got a bike for my birthday. I love it. It isn't anything fancy just a standard cruiser but it works for me. My hubby and I have been several times together. Great bonding time with no cell phones, kids or inlaws. Just time to excerise together and have fun. I have knee problems so this has been a great way to get my kinks out. Good luck with your bike. Take off and have fun!~
Nothing tastes as good as this feels!                                                                     
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 308 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 431 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 497 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 515 views