Hospital Stay From Hell X Post

Ladytazz
on 4/16/11 12:32 pm
I can't even begin to tell you what a nightmare these last 2 days have been.  I'll try to give the short version.  I got there at 9 am.  At about 1 pm I was told that there was an emergency and things were running late.  My nerves were shot at this point.  At around 2 the anesthesiologist finally came in to start my epidural.  At that same time my surgeon came in and told me that he was going to have to postpone the surgery until next Thursday because of an emergency.  I was trying to hold back tears trying to figure out all the arrangements I would need to make again and the fact that I let someone use my car for a few days since I wouldn't be needing it.
The anesthesiologist talked to him a bit and then he said he would see if he couldn't manage to finish the emergency sooner then expected he could do my surgery.  At this point I was a wreck as I had to wait another hour or so until finally she came back and said it was a go.
The surgery itself was very smooth.  The hernia was smaller then expected and it was over quickly.  The bad news was that no excess skin was removed.  That was very disappointing.  That was probably my only hope of having any kind of tummy tuck.
After the surgery I recovered well.  My oxygen level stayed at 100%, unlike the last time when it was dropping into the 80s.  What a difference it makes when you don't smoke.  I wasn't terrified that I was going to suffer brain damage this time because I felt pretty good when I woke up.  Last time I woke confused and scared.
They took me to my room where I found out I had a roommate.  Never had one before in the hospital with all my surgeries.  She was an 80 year old crazy lady.  That was a nightmare until she was finally moved.  Then another one came it.  Even worse.  Very mentally ill and delusional.  Was accusing everyone of lying to her and plotting her death.  I was scared of her because she would have these outbursts.  All I wanted was to get out of there.
This morning was bad.  No sleep of course.  And my roommate was suffering from bad constipation.  I don't want to have to talk about what they did to treat it but suffice to say it was very unpleasant being on the other side of the curtain, not to mention the mess they left in the bathroom.  I had enough.  I was out of there.  Fortunately the doctors agreed, as long as I was able to pee after the catheter was removed.  After about 32oz of water I produced the pee and was released.
One of the problems I had was severe itching.  I have had that before after after an epidural but never as bad as this.  I am going crazy.  They gave me Nubain in the hospital and now I am taking Benadryl and it's not touching it.  I bought some lotion with oatmeal in it and I hope that helps.  The pain isn't too bad but the itching is.
And to top things off, right around the time I got home I realized that I had left my paperwork behind because I was so anxious to get out of there.  I can't get my prescriptions filled without the hard copies and they can't mail them so I have to find a ride there tomorrow to pick them up.  Fortunately I have some leftover pain pills from my last surgery so that should hold me over.
Oh, and I got home and decided I wasn't feeling bad enough so I got on the scale and I am up 14lbs from my lowest weight.  Of course it is all the fluid they have been pumping me with but it still is hard to see that number on the scale.  Hopefully I can look forward to those going away pretty quickly.
Other then the itching I feel pretty good and glad to be home.  If anyone has any ideas of dealing with this itching I would appreciate it.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

aspan
on 4/16/11 12:45 pm
wow that does sound awful! So glad you are home now...I don't have any advice for the itching..I know I had some pretty bad itching around the area of the incisions if that is what you mean...and it did go away after some time..sorry thats all I got!
HW: 260? SW: 242 Surgeons GW: 150 First GW: 140 Second GW: 130 CW: 122      
baat2010
on 4/16/11 2:32 pm - IL
RNY on 11/29/10 with
What a nightmare! It sounds like they mistakenly assigned you to the psych floor. The good news is that it is over and done. Are you sure that they won't call in the prescriptions if you supply the pharmacy number? It seems like the least that they can do.

Amy
    LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Ladytazz
on 4/16/11 2:40 pm
I was thinking the same thing, that I wound up in the pysch unit.  Now I know why the nurses are usually so nice to me.  With my revision I had to keep apoligizing about being a ***** and they kept telling that I wasn't that bad, they had worse.  Now I know it's true.
In Oregon I guess it's a state law that if you are getting a certain level narcotic you have to brink in the hard copy and also have ID.  A lot of problems with drugs getting into the wrong hands.  If I am still itchy tomorrow I may try to get an appointment and see if there is anything that could be done.

kelly_hope
on 4/16/11 2:38 pm - Marysville, WA
Holy crap.. what a nightmare! I'm so glad you are home and doing ok. There is Benedryl cream, would that help?

KELLY RNY  34yo 5'5" HW 288 SW 274 CW 188 GW 140

Ladytazz
on 4/16/11 3:00 pm
I think I found my salvation.  I picked up a tube of something called "Anti Itch Cream" at the dollar store a while back and decided to see how that worked and it really does help make it almost bearable.  That and the Benadryl I guess.  It cools it down and really takes away a lot of the itch.

rbb825
on 4/16/11 3:03 pm - Suffern, NY
I went to my allergist and he gave me prescription cortisone cream and also told me to use benedryl cream and atarax pills - atarax is similar to benedryl but stronger and a prescription.  This combination worked within about 4 days.

MajorMom
on 4/16/11 7:09 pm - VA
Holy moly, Tazz. I'm sorry you were put the through the wringer and didn't even get the tummy tuck for your troubles. I guess they could have strung you out until next week though. Man!

Welcome home. I hope things heal up quick and that itching is gone soon.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Price S.
on 4/16/11 9:32 pm - Mills River, NC
there's no place like home, there's no place like home.

At least now you can get over your ordeal.  Man, I'm sorry you didn't get the TT and had to put up with all the sh**, literally and figuratively.

Glad you found something for the itching.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Mama477
on 4/16/11 9:44 pm
Glad to hear you are home. Now the fast healing critters are swinging in your direction.

Meg
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 304 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 428 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 491 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 509 views