Breaking the carb cycle

Liz R.
on 4/9/11 10:40 am - Belleville, Canada
 Hi there ladies & gentlemen!!  I haven't been on in quite some time, life has been insanely busy (back in school etc etc). 

Just a quick question really.  Ive noticed I have been heavy on the bad carbs lately, and snack foods.  I am 14 months post op and want to stop this NOW!  

Does anyone have any suggestions on breaking this cycle of carbs and snacking?  I don't know if its stress or what is causing me to do it.  I KNOW its bad.....but then I eat something I shouldn't knowing that is bad.  I have no idea why I've been sabatoging myself the last few weeks.

I just need some help, some ideas or suggestions.  I need to fix this!!!!

God, do I wish WLS fixed our heads as well as our tummys :(

Thanks guys for letting me vent!

Liz  .......... www.facebook.com/johnstoy
GP appointment for referral: July 8, 2009
 Consult with nurse/NUT November 4th, 2009 
7 week NUT preop check December 22, 2009
Meet the surgeon & schedule surgery January 19th, 2010
PATS January 28th, 29th, 2010

SURGERY!!!!!!  February 9, 2010
Hernia Repair(s) May 22, 2010
Thanks to Kitty_White for being my wonderful  and friend!

Lee ~
on 4/9/11 10:46 am - CA
Hi Liz,

We're a week apart in surgery dates, but I have a Sleevie.  My only suggestion is to keep lots of dense protein.  If you do that, you won't have room for junk.

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

Liz R.
on 4/9/11 10:47 am - Belleville, Canada
 Thanks!  And I actually just realized that I am EXACTLY 14 months today!
MajorMom
on 4/9/11 10:47 am - VA
I believe adding protein shakes help curb cravings. I'm a fine one to talk though because I'm a definite grazer. I graze on high protein and fresh veggies.

Good to see you!

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Jody ***
on 4/9/11 10:59 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with
It takes about 3 days to break the carb cycle and can be tough during that time.

Like Gina said - protein shakes and veggies to munch on.  I had to even cut out the protein bars as I found them to be a trigger food for me. 

When I break the carb cycle, I draink a LOT of crystal lite and find that if I stay hydrated it definitely helps.

Good luck!

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

ruxanby
on 4/9/11 11:03 am
Hi Liz:

I feel your pain. Iam in the same position as you.  I realized recently that I too am sabotaging myself so I added 2 - 3 shakes into my diet.  I have a few that I love so it is pretty easy.  I have one on the way to work (Breakfast), One at 2 PM (heavy snacking time - work stress) and another about 1.5 - 2 hrs after dinner (another heavy snacking time).  This have helped a great deal for me ans the scale is actually moving, slowly, but moving. 

It looks like our surgery dates are about a week apart!  For me I hit the 1 year mark and all hell broke loose with the snacking. The last few weeks however, with following this schedule has been great.

Good luck, the carb monster is a tough battle to fight, stay strong and you will win!

Sheri
Sheri F.   
LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Liz R.
on 4/9/11 11:23 am - Belleville, Canada
 Thanks for your advice, sounds like we have hit a similar situation.  Mid morning and evening are big trigger times for me!

The shake idea may work.  Do you guys mix them up with water or lowfat milk?  I find the water just makes too thin and watery of a consistency, and is GROSS.  Made with milk though, I do enjoy.
Ruthie D.
on 4/9/11 2:21 pm, edited 4/9/11 2:23 pm - Mayer, AZ
NO fat. milk.... for me anyway.  The powder covers up any yukky flavor skim milk might have had for me.  :-)    Good luck to you.  I know you can do it!  You just got the same advice from 3 of the many respected longterm LW's and they all have a different surgery.  Gotta love it!   :-)
       LIFE'S a REACH...    and then you FLY!!!   
           HW = 224, SW = 204, CW = 124, GW = 119           
Mrs.M
on 4/9/11 9:03 pm
I think stress and emotional hunger will always be the hard part. I also found that adding in a protein shake at night helps me.  I use fat free milk but I also add half cup of lowfat ice cream.  For me, that little extra makes it taste and feel like a decadent milkshake and I get a treat.  The extra calories are worth it since I get an additional 25 grams of prottein in my diet.

Best of luck and continued success
Janet

ruxanby
on 4/9/11 9:30 pm
Liz: 

I use 6 oz light vanilla Soy milk and 4 oz of water or sometimes I use FF 1/2 and 1/2 and water. Never just milk or jus****er (yuck) :-)

Sheri
Sheri F.   
LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 308 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 432 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 497 views
Still kickin'...