Three Week Post Op Visit

Amy P.
on 4/7/11 5:25 am - Liberty Lake, WA

I just got back from my first post op visit....three weeks. Apparently their scale is much more "accurate" than mine (I like theirs better!).  My highest weight was at 218 on Feb 27th and was down to 208ish at surgery three weeks ago. Today I was 196---so 12 pounds in three weeks and 22 pounds total.

I met with the PA there today and he is such a neat guy....6'3 and 247 and built like a Mack truck. When I asked him what my goal weight should be he said that right now I don't need one....he just wants me to focus on doing cardio and strength training and eating by the plan. He said as long as I am doing that and my pants keep getting looser, he's happy and he guarantees that I will be happier too.

I just feel amazing today....like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Maybe it was the string cheese that I finally got to eat yesterday, who knew "real" food would taste so good! I'm looking forward to start posting my meals and workouts on the Meals and Miles daily...now that it just isn't "protein shake, soup, walking". That would be a little boring day after day for you all!

The scale is now going in the closet~maybe until my 6 week appointment???? Can I have that much will power???

HT 5'3"~HW 218~SW 208~GW 125

aspan
on 4/7/11 6:03 am
congratulations! That is a wonderful weight loss..I never weighed myself until I was about 4 months out and I am glad I didn't..I now weight myself 2 times daily and I admit I am a little obsessed about it and often depressed because those numbers can really move around..and like he said if you are following the plan you will loose the weight..keep it up!!
HW: 260? SW: 242 Surgeons GW: 150 First GW: 140 Second GW: 130 CW: 122      
Amy P.
on 4/7/11 6:16 am - Liberty Lake, WA
You didn't weigh for four months? How ever did you do it?  I've put it away for a few days, but then I cave it.  Right now it is in the middle of the bathroom floor and I catch myself weighing when ever I go in there...Up and down a pound or two during the day. It is driving me crazy.  So I am putting it in the closet and see if that helps. Or maybe in the trunk of my hubby's car so I can't "get to it" during the day!

aspan
on 4/7/11 6:27 am
I didn't even OWN a scale actually! I was terrified of my weight prior to surgery and didn't even want to know what my weight was until I was below 200..denial I guess. After I had bought mine I also put mine in plain sight in the bathroom...my husband has threatened to hide it so I try not to weigh in front of him :) 
HW: 260? SW: 242 Surgeons GW: 150 First GW: 140 Second GW: 130 CW: 122      
Price S.
on 4/7/11 6:32 am - Mills River, NC
Glad you are feeling better about the journey.  You seemed a little down earlier. 

I think we all have various scale routines we use from time to time.  My normal is to weigh 2x a day, first thing in the morning and at night when I get my gown on.  Both times with not much on.  I around a pound more at night because I have just finished my last protein drink.  But I have an idea of what is to come in the morning.  I have given up being upset by the bouncing.  I can vary 2-3 pounds in a week, one way or another.  About the time I finally resign to losing slow, I will lose 2 lbs in a week.  All I can do is to keep eating according to my plan and my body does whatever it is going to do.  I'm ok with that. 

I had to laugh at your reporting to Miles and menus.  I used to write each day of my liguid diet, as a count down of the days.  I'm sure folks just scrolled on past, laughing.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Amy P.
on 4/7/11 6:50 am - Liberty Lake, WA
Thanks Price. I finally got to my "happy place" and realized that even from here on out if I lost 10 pounds a month I would be to goal in 7 months....at 7 pounds a month I would be at goal in less than a year.  I realized that I would rather lose a little slower and let my skin catch up so hopefully I don't have too much drooping and sagging when I am all done!

Mama477
on 4/7/11 8:32 am
Awesome, Amy!! Woooo hoooo for you. I did not think about your scales when you posted earlier this week. Congrats and keep going!!!

Meg
RaggetyAnn
on 4/7/11 9:39 am
VSG on 02/15/11 with
Hi Amy,
Now that you know you can relax a bit in the scale department, what's on your agenda for your strength training and cardio?  Are you a dance person, like zumba or Just Dance, or will you run like some of the other folks here?  Maybe walking?  

The road ahead of you is wide open.... congrats on your great post-op visit.
tracey

RaggetyAnn  (I'm just a RaggetyAnn in a Barbie Doll world.)
hw: 216 sw: 200 cw: 156 dgw: 134 mgw: 124

Kiminey65
on 4/7/11 11:20 am
RNY on 10/25/10 with
I agree with your dr.  I know it's difficult, and I also struggled with insecurity and the dreaded scale (which I haven't HID yet either). I am able to walk away from it for days at a time, but it is always in the bathroom and I will step on it every morning too.

I walked for exercise in the beginning. I am a confident walker, and it was a good way to ease into exercise early on. Once I got past 2 months, the new year was upon us, and I signed up for my local zumba classes. I have hit the pavement running! It is such a good time, and a lot of toning too. I often get in 5-6 sessions/week!

Good luck in your journey. Your goal will get here before you know it!

baat2010
on 4/7/11 12:59 pm - IL
RNY on 11/29/10 with
Amy,

If you want a great core/flexibility class, you might to consider bellydancing.  It is a blast!  WTG on you post-op visit.

Amy
    LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 308 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 431 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 497 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 515 views