20 Years Post Op This Month!

lisamspinale
on 5/5/20 2:37 pm

Hello! I was a member on here a looong time ago, when I had my surgery. This year, on May 19, I am 20 years post op. I have lost and kept off about 125#. Yes, I've gained some back. I had a Roux-En-Y. The main takeaway, for me, was that I have not developed heart problems or diabetes due to my weight, as has EVERYONE in my immediate family (who are all still morbidly obese). I have lost both of my parents. I am 55 years old, now, and pretty darn healthy except for depression and anxiety issues (which I always had, anyway). I've not delved into the world of bariatrics for quite a long time, but I'm curious to know if there's any out there that might be appropriate for me at this point in time. I'd do it again! I am at 200#, and nothing I do seems to help me lose weight any more. Recently, I've felt like maybe things are growing together down there, because I can eat very little. Anyway... glad to be back on the site. Hope you all are well! Stay safe out there in this crazy world. ~ Lisa Spinale, Mesa, Arizona

SuMari
on 5/8/20 10:54 am

Thank you for sharing! Your words of encouragement are inspiring! Real-life experiences!

catleth
on 5/15/21 2:24 am - OC, WI

Hi. I had roux n y 12-2003. I initially lost 165lbs, but had the bounce back. I retired from a stressful nursing job 2 years ago and have been losing weight ever since. I lost 20 lbs when I just retired and now I started working at Wendy's in November and have lost 20 more lbs. I have not been trying to lose. I attribute it to less stress eating and now working at Wendy's is a lot more physical activity. Even though I'm still 230lbs, I'm down inches and clothing sizes. And my health is better than before, except for iron deficiency anemia. I still have arthritis and I had 2 iron infusions in May. It's the 3rd time since 2003 that I've needed the infusions. The hematolgist is testing me for PNH/ paroxysmal nocturnal hematuria now. I had 1 positive test before the 2 infusions and 1 negative test after. I'll be tested again in June. If it's positive, he said there is a treatment plan. PNH is a bone marrow immune disorder where some red blood cells are missing a protective protein and my immune system kills the red blood cells. I am wondering if my iron deficiency helped cause the PNH. Congratulations on being a success with your surgery!

Thanks, Cathy
catleth
on 5/15/21 2:24 am - OC, WI

Hi. I had roux n y 12-2003. I initially lost 165lbs, but had the bounce back. I retired from a stressful nursing job 2 years ago and have been losing weight ever since. I lost 20 lbs when I just retired and now I started working at Wendy's in November and have lost 20 more lbs. I have not been trying to lose. I attribute it to less stress eating and now working at Wendy's is a lot more physical activity. Even though I'm still 230lbs, I'm down inches and clothing sizes. And my health is better than before, except for iron deficiency anemia. I still have arthritis and I had 2 iron infusions in May. It's the 3rd time since 2003 that I've needed the infusions. The hematolgist is testing me for PNH/ paroxysmal nocturnal hematuria now. I had 1 positive test before the 2 infusions and 1 negative test after. I'll be tested again in June. If it's positive, he said there is a treatment plan. PNH is a bone marrow immune disorder where some red blood cells are missing a protective protein and my immune system kills the red blood cells. I am wondering if my iron deficiency helped cause the PNH. Congratulations on being a success with your surgery!

Thanks, Cathy
Most Active
Recent Topics