low blood protein levels

claudia P.
on 11/17/14 3:54 am - West Sacramento, CA

Hi everyone... I just had some follow up blood work done and it shows that my protein levels are low, along with low albumin (protein) and my white blood count is also low.  I think that I was not absorbing enough protein, (and consuming too little to actually absorb as much as I needed) so I am going back to having a couple of protein shakes a day.  Has anyone else had this happen, and if the treatment plan was to increase your protein intake, what level did you increase it to and how long did it take before you saw a change? Thanks!

wilteringrose
on 11/17/14 10:06 am - IL

I had my RNY in 2008. I am also dealing with low protein and albumin levels.  I was told by my nutritionist to start back up on my protein drinks and to get at least one egg in daily.  (The white part is albumin) I haven't had follow up labs yet (this Thursday). I am also having problems with my zinc, copper, and iron.  I still take my vitamins and supplements on a regular basis, but I am still going to follow up with my nutritionist and see what recommendations she has.

claudia P.
on 11/18/14 1:04 am - West Sacramento, CA

Good luck on the follow up labs. Please post an update!

For now, I am going to increase my protein to 120 gms a day. I am also adding an enzyme, with meals, to increase protein absorption. They will recheck labs in 2 months. If no change, or worsening, I will go to a hematologist.  I understand that the albumin is created by the liver in response to protein intake. They did not test my zinc and copper but I do take magnesium with zinc daily.  My D and B are fine, in fact the doc commented that my D is better than most people who haven't had RNY.  My ferritin is at 39, which is after supplementing with two tender iron a day consistently.

terri783
on 11/19/14 11:18 pm - Pineville, LA

I had my WLS in November 2008. I have really been off track the last 2 years and gained 40 pounds due to family problems and going back to my 'comfort' of food. I am low in protein as well as D3.  I am taking 10000 D3 a day and still having trouble bringing it up.  I have recently bought Gladiator Protein from Smoothie King and have been drinking 2 shakes a day.  I add the 80 calorie Greek yogurt to it as well as the Diet Cranberry Flavored juice with 5 calories.  So I am getting in 59 grams of protein per shake and 265 calories.  It has helped me decrease my sugar cravings considerably and find myself not eating very much.  Trying so hard to get back on track.

claudia P.
on 11/19/14 11:35 pm - West Sacramento, CA

It's interesting to me that all three of us in this conversation had our surgeries in 2008. Terri, glad to hear that you have reduced sugar cravings. I think sugar is a horrible beast for a lot of people. I don't have a Smoothie King around me, but your smoothie sounds great!  Please post an update when you get some lab results. 

terri783
on 11/20/14 1:05 am - Pineville, LA

I thought the same thing Claudia.  You can order the protein on line.  It just tastes so much better than any other I have had.  Easier to drink and not so hard on my stomach. I do still 'dump' on sugar, which is good and notice when I can stay away from it for a while the sensetivity comes back. 

KSKVA11
on 11/26/14 4:59 am - Manassas, VA

My RNY was 2004.  I was never much of a sweet eater and I was so tired of all the protein supplements being sweet. I discovered Unjury.com.  Their unflavored is so slightly milky that it blends well with V8 juice without being so sweet.  They also have a chicken soup flavored protein.  I was sold!  However, all of their usual sweet flavors are good too.  AND, Unjury dissolves with a spoon, but I use a shaker just because.  I use the unflavored in coffee and tea as well as V8 juice.

terri783
on 11/19/14 11:19 pm - Pineville, LA
sor09
on 12/8/14 2:22 pm

Glad to hear you are doing better.

Most Active
Recent Topics