How many carbs a day to lose weight?

tina01
on 3/7/13 4:33 am - Wilmington, DE

Hi,

What should be my limit on carbs if I want to lose weight (9 yrs out)?  For the 1st time in my life I am looking at the count on the junk that I've been eating.  I'm shocked.  I've gained 25# the last couple of months, and have realized that I am addicted to carbs.. crunchy, processed ones... (it used to be sugar).  I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the whole weight gain thing, and am very depressed. 

Thanks for your input.

"LADYbug-j" L
on 3/7/13 10:17 am - Laurel, MD
Hi,
My sister used to call me the Carb-Police.
20 carbs a day or less, to lose, but..........I've been doing it again for over 3wks- and my loss is more than slow. My own fault, because I need to work out harder & longer!
Good luck. Keep us posted.
Peace-jbug

"jbug"

tina01
on 3/8/13 2:50 am - Wilmington, DE

20??  omg really?  just a small snack size back of Ruffles has 23!  I really need to rethink this.  Thanks for the info. 

jlmartin
on 3/7/13 10:30 pm - Random Lake, WI

I think, for evolutionary survival reasons, how a person handles carbs is an individual thing.  That said, I would recommend that 50% of your calories come from protein.  That would then leave the other 50% to be carbs and fat.

For weight loss, consider 800 up to 1000 calories per day.

30 minute cardio workouts 3 times a week

Strength training on days alternating with cardio

tina01
on 3/8/13 2:57 am - Wilmington, DE

Thanks for your info.  So, if I stay at 1000 calories, and 500 come from protein that leaves me 500 calories for carbs and fat. So, I need to know how many calories is in a carb right?  Am I making sense?

Thanks,

Tina

tina01
on 3/8/13 3:07 am - Wilmington, DE

Just found my answer.. thanks though!  Let me know if this is incorrect.

carbs 1g= 4 cal
protein 1g= 4 cal
fat 1g= 9 cal
alcohol 1g= 7 cal
3,500 calories = 1 lbs of fat

jlmartin
on 3/8/13 5:35 am - Random Lake, WI

That's right.

So for 1000 calories you have 125g protein minimum (500 / 4) and the same in Carbs MAXIMUM.

You obviously can't be zero fat so you never really can get the remaining 500 calories to be all carb.

MyBariatricLife
on 3/8/13 12:04 pm

I went to a nutritionist who works with bariatric patients. She told me to balance protein and carbs at each meal 2:1. that means for every gram of protein you eat you can have 1 gram of carbs. She told me to aim for 100g protein and 50g carbs.

BTW, carbs are sugar and vice versa. and they oth turn into glucose in the body.

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

Jameen G.
on 3/11/13 1:38 am - NC

I was always told the general rule is this: Protein, Vegetables, Fruit, carbs ... your carbs should be so minimal (no white anything ... sugar, pasta, bread, etc) ... the ration of 2:1 is way to high in my opinion.  Plus I hate to say ... that bag of ruffles should be nowhere near you.  Go back to WLS basics ...

Blessings ...

jameen (take a minute to smile ...)

dreamgirl119
on 3/16/13 10:55 pm - Lansdowne, PA

I am 5 years post-op and struggling. I have regained 30lbs.  So glad I opened and read this post!

Most Active
Recent Topics