Whatcha Eating Today VSGers? Friday, 12/21/2018

Gwen M.
on 12/21/18 5:07 am, edited 12/21/18 5:13 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Good morning, all! Yesterday was a fun day for me - I spent it with one of my best friends and we went to her boxing conditioning class. That was hard work! Leave it to a new type of exercise to show you that your fitness schedule has deficiencies :P We spent about 5 hours together and still have a billion things we need to talk about. Never enough time!

Today I'm doing some holiday cooking, watching Bird Box on netflix, and getting my monthly massage. I also need to do a bunch of emails and calls, laundry, and finish up the packing list for our trip. It'll be a great day! Aside from the holiday prep, I'm not cooking again until we're actually on vacation.

QOTD: What do/did you want to do with your life? How/when did you figure that out? Did your plan go through changes over time?

1: protein shake
2: leftover instant pot butter chicken meatballs
3: scrambled eggs and cheese

liquid and vites: on track
exercise: not today since fitness classes are on vacation

How about you?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Gwen M.
on 12/21/18 6:32 am
VSG on 03/13/14

QOTD: I'm really curious about what other people have to say with this, since I'm still working on figuring it out.

When I was in high school, the time we expect kids to know what they want to do with the rest of their lives, I planned to major in math and comp sci and probably become a code breaker for the CIA. Holy crap. I just realized, while typing that, how screwed I'd be right now if I were 15 years into a career in the intelligence community. Dodged -that- bullet.

I went to college to pursue that goal and college didn't work out for various reasons so I dropped out. For the following 18 years I just futzed around at various things - center-based day care, home day care, bank teller, tournament organization, web management. Ultimately I wanted to focus on being an awesome homemaker and focus on my family (my partners and parents).

And then, 20 years after I was supposed to leave high school knowing what I wanted to do with my life, I actually figured it out. A friend of mine suggested I should become a personal trainer and, by the end of that day, I had gone from planning personal trainer certification to AA in Exercise and Sport Science to BS in Gerontology all with the goal of helping older people move better. I added in a major in Health Management Services since I knew that would look good on my resume and give me more options. My goal had developed into "make the aging and dying process better for all those involved." I did training to become an End of Life Doula. I've got a year left in my BS degree.

I've been thinking, off and on, about the next step education-wise. I graduate at the end of 2019 and we're planning on moving in 2020. After we move I plan to get a job "in my field," at least part time. In theory I'd start classes again in 2021 or 2022 (those seem like fake years). The area I'm moving to has a lot of great schools and the local University has a Master of Social Work that initially seemed like it might be the way to go for me. Recently, though, I've been thinking a lot about Public Health. The local University ALSO has a Master of Public Health - how fortuitous! I guess it boils down to whether I want to effect change on an individual level or a societal/community level.

So that's my story! I'm looking forward to reading all ya'all's stories!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Kristi T.
on 12/21/18 10:59 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

Your life plan is amazing Gwen, you have stuck to your goals so well!

Kristi T.
on 12/21/18 10:53 am, edited 12/21/18 2:55 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

Good morning! I'm watching Bird Box tonight too! I've been waiting for this one:-) Sounds like you have a busy, yet kind of fun day planned Gwen.

I'm taking my mom to get her hair done and will run some errands while she is there. I think Emmy(my dog) hurt her foot a little on our hike yesterday so we are taking a break from any walking/hiking today. She loves to go to the salon and hang out with her Corgie friend, Thor. Then pick up something for dinner and watch Bird Box.

QOTD-In high school I was all over the place on what I wanted to do or be. My junior year we lived near the National Geographic headquarters, I though for sure I wanted to be a photographer for them and travel the world. My senior year we moved back to my hometown and the dream slipped away. My next goal for my life was to be a Forest Ranger and major in Forestry. I went off to a University with an excellent program. I lasted one year, my father became extremely ill so I went home to take care of my little brother and be there for my mom. Watching my father recover over the next 6 months put this idea in my head that I should be a nurse. I graduated from nursing school in 1988 and moved to Colorado to continue my career as an RN. I went back to school to get a B.S. in Political Science while still nursing. I was a really good nurse, but I was miserable. I thought changing careers would help. I didn't get to continue with either. By 2006 I had widespread arthritis, a progressive form of Osteoarthritis and severe cataracts by the age of 39. By this time I had already had 3 major joint surgeries and cataract removal. In 2012 I had a total hip replacement and was looking at both knees being done as well. This was the year that I became disabled. I was also at my heaviest weight, 313lbs. I lost 95lbs of the weight before and after the hip replacement. Gained 38lbs back to being 256lbs pre VSG. During this time I began working part time at our Visitor Center during the summers and on call off season. So now at the age of 52 I am still trying to figure out what I want to be:-) Edited to add that I also care for my mother who lives with me.

B-1/3 cup granola, bullet coffee

L-Fage yogurt w/fruit and pecans

S-Hot tea

D-tbd

E-none today

Have a good Friday!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 132 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 390 views