One month post op & not much restriction :/

anscoste
on 3/17/17 6:38 pm
VSG on 02/17/17 with

Hello everyone !

I am one month post op and have had a rather smooth journey ! have had absolutely no complications and ( kind of unfortunate) have had absolutely no trouble getting ANY food down .... i mean i even had a french fry and nothing. No taste change in taste buds or anything ! i know it sounds crazy but i was really hoping on me at least not liking some foods or not being able to tolerate but i can basically eat whatever i want !

I find myself feeling scared that i will go back !!! Did anyone else have this problem ?

Depending on what it is that I am eating I am having about 3-4oz of foods 3 times a day. With between 1- 2 2oz snacks - depending on the day . Some days I'm fuller than other.

Had a stall at week 3 but that was it. I am now at 22lbs down since surgery and so excited for that!! ....I guess I'm more concerned about going back without much restrictions... I know this has to be mind over matter right?

yvonnef1964
on 3/17/17 6:53 pm
VSG on 08/11/14

Yes you have to be mindful what you eat. Also you dont feel restriction until you are on dense protein.

MonaLyssa33
on 3/17/17 8:03 pm - Minneapolis, MN
VSG on 02/20/17

I am about a month out as well and I have had almost no complications too. I did overeat once about a week and a half ago and I thought I was dying. I still managed to not throw up, but that pain was both terrifying and horrible that I've been very careful since. I sometimes forget that I've had the surgery and I have to remind myself to slow down on eating or drinking and take less food when I prepare a meal.

Highest Weight ~400, Surgery Weight 293, Current Weight 227, Goal Weight 180

Highest BMI: 59.1, Current BMI: 32, Goal BMI: 25

VSG on February 20, 2017

anscoste
on 3/18/17 3:48 am
VSG on 02/17/17 with

Yes ! I feel the same way! Like I completely forget that I have the surgery sometimes. I find that if I eat denser foods I don't want to say I feel uncomfortable but I definately feel it it more. So like mashed potatoes or things like that. But what protein does that have you know ?! Lol I have to also remind myself to drink and eat slowly so I am right there with you !!

Donna L.
on 3/17/17 9:28 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

That's great loss!! Congrats:)

I will be two years out in June and have basically no restriction, still. There's only "tralalala eating mode" and "omg why did I eat that bite I am going to throw up" mode. I still measure everything in portions. And yes, I still tolerate most foods. Some I tolerate less well for sure, but everyone is different.

Fullness as we knew it pre-op is gone forever. We will never feel something like that again. Well, maybe some people do? It depends.

The nerves in the stomach also take many months to heal, so there will be no sensations of restriction for some time, generally speaking. That's why it's very vital to measure.

You will always have to be cautious eating and mindful. No surgery, not even the DS (arguably the most effective/powerful on average) will change what you want to eat. You will have to change your habits to not go back, as have all of us.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

anscoste
on 3/18/17 5:27 am
VSG on 02/17/17 with

Thank you so much for your response ! I definitely feel like I live in those two modes also lol

I'm definately watching everything I eat. Weigh and log it before i even eat it !

Trying my best to be super cautious !!

Erin T.
on 3/18/17 5:17 am
VSG on 01/17/17

I think it varies with everyone but you should plan to measure/weigh everything as much as humanly possible and log it all on an app or in a journal. I'm 8 weeks out and I eat three meals per day and one protein shake (which I still need to get my protein). I can eat about 1.5-2oz of dense protein, or more if I'm eating yogurt, cheese, a casserole, etc (but still not more than 3-4oz). I shoot for 600-800 calories (I normally get 650 at this point). At 1 month out I was rarely going over 500.

If I feel hungry I drink a 16oz bottle of water first and if I'm still hungry I eat a string cheese, babybel cheese, etc. That generally fills me up.

Don't eat french fries, even one. That's a sure way to make sure you eat a bunch more. Make a rule to get in your protein first, if you do that you won't eat other things because you won't have room. 8 weeks out and I'm just now starting to take a bite (and I really do mean one) of veggies after my 2oz of protein. I can't even move on to more veggies until I up it to 3oz.

Your loss so far is great! Just make sure you put practices into place that are going to be successful long term. I know I'm also terrified of regain or lack of loss and my doctor said the best way to follow it is to be a rule follower.

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

anscoste
on 3/18/17 5:35 am
VSG on 02/17/17 with

I definately still measure everything and log everything before it even enter my mouth into MFP. So right now I'm averaging about 500 -600 calories as well. Rarely 600 maybe only hit like 1 or 2 times.

Eating 4oz 2 times a day and for breakfast maybe 3 if I'm lucky. I'm never actually hungry and I never over eat at all. I'm actually only having pure protein as my meals. Nothing else. No veggies no carbs nothing. Except for cheese as a small sometimes ( also except that one time I had a fry lol )

I consider myself to definatelt be a rule follower to the T.

Thank you so much for your response I appreciate it !

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/18/17 7:26 am

First few months is really critical to measure everything. I personally believe that this may determine our long term success.

While the stomach and nerves are healing - you may not know you are streaching it so early out. Shaping it to be much bigger that it needs to be for years to come.

At one month a lot of people were told to stop at 3 oz Max.

It is not easy - but that should pay in long term ...

Eating things like mash potatoes, cream of wheat, or any other carby good - is not really a good idea imo. That may determine if you lose as much as you can in the first year.

Eating too much or the wrong things so early out is like playing a Russian roulette... Hoping that this time the chamber is empty.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

anscoste
on 3/18/17 8:00 am
VSG on 02/17/17 with

I definately do measure everything and do not plan to stop. Also my doctors told me I had to consume 4oz in order to get sufficient nutrient. Even if it takes me an hour to make sure I get my 4oz in 3 times a day.

They actually were suggesting for me to eat more carby things because they are smoothe and easy to get down but I opted not to eat any of that. I've had great weight loss by sticking by every rule they gave me .. was just wondering about how other felt about tolerating foods and other things.

Thank you !

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 291 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 343 views