My 600 Pound Life is Making Me Crazy Lately!

Donna L.
on 3/17/17 4:24 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Part of it is definitely the show. Media is a purely constructed reality - even the news - so it is highly edited and incorrect.

Part of it is also that in order to get to be super-super morbidly obese, you have to have a severe behavioral pathology. In almost every case I have witnessed, including myself, we have severe behavioral or mental flaws that have not been corrected. That is what causes the obesity. Most of them likely are victims of severe trauma, I would bet, and also possibly have personality disorders (often caused by trauma) which make it difficult to recover.

Overeating and overconsumption is just window dressing. It's behavior that causes obesity, and not the food. What's the #1 vet saying? "Surgery isn't done on your brain."

I think that when we are in the throes of mental illness and dysfunction, no, we have no idea what we looked like. I was a horrible person at 750 pounds, and I am very grateful for the therapist that basically kicked my ass when I needed to stop acting like a petulant and entitled jerk. I am very grateful I was able to learn humility and get over myself - and I mean that sincerely. Not all of my super morbid obese fellows are so lucky, sadly.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 270 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views