Ketchup!

happyteacher
on 11/12/16 11:34 am

I am sure most all of you are aware of how much sugar is in commercial ketchup. I started buying a sugar free version online at Amazon, but hated how pricey it was relatively speaking. In class I am teaching the nutrition unit, and we talk about the sugar in ketchup- the kids were floored once they realized how much was in there. One of my cuties raised his hand and piped in that this is why his mom makes it homemade. Well duh! I never thought to Google a sugar free recipe. I assumed it would be a long simmer type process, and that I could toss it in the pressure cooker. Nope- way easier! A few commonly stocked pantry items tossed in the Vitamix and done! I adjusted the recipe below based on a few different ones I found online, and it turned out to be a great starting point. I will adjust a little more on the next batch, but it really seemed like it is a can't **** it up type process.  The Chef Steps recipe called for glucose syrup, so I used my Vita Fiber syrup instead- worked well. You can skip that and use a little more xanthum gum I think if you want to lower the calories. Also, there is a cheaper alternative to the Vita Fiber syrup out there, but I cannot recall the brand- but it was a lot cheaper.

Here you go if you are interested:

1 can tomatoe paste (6 ounces)

6 ounces distilled white vinegar

6 ounces Vita Fiber syrup (note: sugar free, but NOT calorie free!)

3/4 tsp salt

3/4 tsp granulated onion powder

3/4 tsp granulated garlic powder

1/4 tsp allspice

1/8 tsp cloves

couple dashes of cayenne pepper

2 drops or so of liquid stevia

1/4 tsp xanthum gum (approximately, I spilled the stuff so scraped it off the counter- not sure how much I ended tossing in!)

Everything but the xanthum gum in the blender, and blend. Once you can see the vortex going, sprinkle in the xanthum gum and blend. Done! I am putting it in a flip top styled bottle and am reading online it is good for about 2 weeks. I was paying nearly $4 for a small bottle before so this makes me happy! Not to mention I can adjust the seasoning more to my taste.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

DakotaCJ
on 11/12/16 12:37 pm

This is great. I have made home made but never sugar free. I add a dash of lemon juice and protein powder.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 364 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 409 views