Buying new clothes ( I don't like how they look)

mylastchance
on 6/7/16 8:39 am

Definitely get out there and do some shopping.  Have an open mind to style.   Find styles you are comfortable in.  Shop your size and see how you feel.  Happy shopping

"I COULD HAVE MISSED THE PAIN BUT I'D OF HAD TO MISS THE DANCE"
             I have missed too many dances in my life now it is time to start living
5' 1"

Kelly L.
on 6/6/16 4:49 pm

I still wear clothes too big, my sister was just getting on to me about it the other day.  She put me in a smaller bathing suit.   I didn't feel comfortable in the style, cuz I felt it accentuated my belly, but I wore it.   I still have a lot of fat in my belly, I need to lose a little more weight before I have a tummy tuck.  I look forward to being able to shop and wear clothes without that horrible thing in my way.   So I can relate to your problem!!  Don't worry you will get more comfortable wearing smaller clothes as you lose more weight.   Congrats on losing the 49lbs.

Bufflehead
on 6/6/16 5:04 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

Keep shopping around for something you don't hate, but don't cling to the security of your old clothes. I promise you, clothes that are too big and baggy do not make you look smaller, they make you look huge. Clothes that fit are much more flattering. When I was actively losing weight, I would always get a fresh round of compliments when I dropped into a smaller size and wore that size, even though I was often initially uncomfortable with those clothes.

I found Kohls was good for me in both plus sizes and then when I switched to misses. They had a wide variety of clothes at cheap prices.

Good luck to you!

PS don't cling to your old undies, either. New underpants and bras are a must. Even new PJ's or nightgowns can be fun!

obioxiupa
on 6/6/16 7:16 pm

Thanks I know you are right!

i probably looked better in those jeans than info in the old ones.  

I bought a really pretty pretty shirt that was a little small - I can't wait until it fits!

Vsg April 25th 2016 with Benjamin Shadle.

Starting weight 351, surgery weight 331

M1 -22.2 M2 - 14.2 M3 -8.9 M4 - 12.1 M5 - 4.7

8/22/2016 Lost 60.1 since surgery.  Lost 78.2 overall.

Goals:  1)Get under 300 - done!  Yeah!  2) Get under 280 (Yeah met this on 8/10/16) 3)Get under 268 (stay tuned!)

White Dove
on 6/6/16 8:22 pm - Warren, OH

Try to go to a higher quality store at a time when they are not real busy.  Ask a salesperson to help you find pants that look good on you.  The higher quality stores usually pay their salespeople commissions.  At a store where the salesperson is only getting a salary, they are not always very motivated to help you.

When you find something that looks fabulous on you, then buy one pair.

Then go to eBay and look for people selling pants in that brand, size and style.  I pay about $80 for a pair of pants in the store and then find them in different colors on eBay for about $10 a pair.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

obioxiupa
on 6/6/16 8:38 pm

Great ideas, thanks!

Vsg April 25th 2016 with Benjamin Shadle.

Starting weight 351, surgery weight 331

M1 -22.2 M2 - 14.2 M3 -8.9 M4 - 12.1 M5 - 4.7

8/22/2016 Lost 60.1 since surgery.  Lost 78.2 overall.

Goals:  1)Get under 300 - done!  Yeah!  2) Get under 280 (Yeah met this on 8/10/16) 3)Get under 268 (stay tuned!)

mmsmom
on 6/7/16 4:40 am - Woburn, MA

If you prefer your old pants, why is this even an issue?  stay in your old pants.  Eventually you will have no choice but to buy new pants.  As you get smaller, sizes drop faster.  I was in a 14 forever and used to think - 10lbs = a size change, not really.  However, the difference between a 6 and a 4 is about 3-4 lbs for me.  Here's the reality - losing weight is not going to change you into a 5'10" model with no stomach - your shape is your shape.Good luck and keep up the good work.

VSG on 04/28/2014

Steph Meat Hag
on 6/7/16 5:54 am - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

So ... here is some humor to help you.  You won't look bad in those pants long, when you drop another size go looking for ones that make you feel good.  You've made huge progress in such a short time, your going to be outa those pants in no time.

I'm in my 3rd pair of pant sizes, and I'll drop another.  I'm fortunate and wear jeans to work so there's little shopping needed, I just get the same brand every time.  I'm also fortunate that my hubs has been loosing weight and is one size below me.  While he's a 34" inseam and I'm a 32" I've just put a 1" cuff on the end of my pants and been wearing my shoes with a thicker sole.  We buy him new jeans and then I slide into them a few weeks later and kick him out to the next pair.

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

cnanny
on 6/7/16 8:05 am

I know people have already suggested some great places for you to shop but Wal-Mart & Cato's are also good places to check out! They do have cute styles in plus size and are affordable.  I've gone down a size but have yet to buy new pants.  When I do finally feel like going shopping, it will definitely be somewhere affordable LOL.  I do not want to spend a ton of money of clothes that I will only be able to wear a short time.  Keep up the good work, your head will catch up! 

LosinginAZ
on 6/7/16 3:35 pm

I feel your pain. I think our problem is that we are not use to wearing clothes that actually fit. We would hide behind loose and baggy, so when we wear clothes that fit, we feel uncomfortable. I am going through it too, but its getter easier :) Hang in there!

Age: 34 / Height 5' 8" / Starting weight July 2015: 446.0 lbs / Surgery Date & Weight: 1/19/16 - 320.4 / Lost pre-op: 125.6lbs / Goal Weight: 180 lbs

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 97 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 321 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 365 views