Close to goal, weight loss is slow, feeling confused!

Hkinzfnp
on 5/7/16 4:37 am, edited 5/7/16 4:43 am

It has been 8 1/2 months since my VSG and I have lost 84 pounds, and a total of 104 from my highest weight.  I should be thrilled, but instead I feel anxious and confused.

My weight loss has slowed to an absolute crawl.  Last few weeks my numbers were 164.2, 164.2, 163.8 and now 164 today.  I do feel like my clothes are fitting better but not seeing a number on the scale move is discouraging.

Food- most days I eat around 700-800 calories.  Protein is over 80 grams.  Carbs fluctuate a bit but rarely over 40-50.  Water could be improved but I always get at least 60-70.  I have increased my exercise to at least 4 days weekly.  I had the testing of my resting metabolic rate on Tuesday and the bariatric nutritionist from my program wants me to increase my calories to 1000-1200 daily and thinks I should bump up my carbs too, both of these things give me a lot of anxiety.

Although I want to celebrate how far I've come, I don't want to be done losing just yet.  I would like to be in the low 150's before I start maintenance.  People tell me Joe great I look and someone told me the other day "you shouldn't lose another pound".  But I know I won't feel good if I stop here.

So what am I looking for?  Anything!!  Support, understanding, thoughts on calorie intake for end of weight loss.  Thanks everyone in advance!!

Highest Weight: 268 pounds.  Surgery Weight 248 pounds.  Current Weight 142 pounds.  VSG 8/24/15 with Dr. Havaleshko

BeautifulMe84
on 5/7/16 4:51 am
VSG on 03/10/16

Hi there!

I been hitting stalls left and right and I am only a little over 2 months out. I've asked how to break the stalls over and over and here is what I keep being told...Keep your body guessing! You say you only eat 700-800 calories a day? Try eating between 1000-1200 for a few days then go back to 700-800 cals a day. I've tried this for a day or two and the scale started to move again. I have also tried drinking more fluids...60-70oz of fluids is probably not enough for you if your weight is at 164-163. Have a cheat day...don't go over board of course but I've tried a cheat day and the next day I found that I had lost 2 pounds. Hang in there and the scale will move again.

cappy11448
on 5/7/16 5:27 am

First, congratulations on your weight loss.  You are doing great losing over 100 pounds in 8 months. 

I am not surprised that your weight loss slowed as you approach your goal weight.  The last few months I only lost 2 to 3 pounds per month.  I'd suggest keeping to plan, and enjoying how much healthier you are now, and not worry so much about how fast you get to the goal weight. 

You'll get there if you keep to plan.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

frisco
on 5/7/16 9:00 am

It's tough, time to go a bit old school crazy.

I needed to be closer to the 600 cal range to lose the last weight.

(My non doctor opinion) NEVER fall into the trap of going higher in cals. and stay consistent !!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

luvmypuggies
on 5/7/16 9:42 am

I don't have brilliant ideas for getting the scale moving again other than cranking up the water and being sure you're tracking calories carefully instead of falling into the habit of estimating.  I do that a lot and I always guess wrong and consume too much.  If I'm being hard-core, I have to track really accurately. I agree with Frisco - increasing calories doesn't sound like a good idea generally.

What I wanted to tell you is to not stop yet! Get to where YOU want to be, and maybe a little below.  It's super common for people to regain a bit during maintenance, so if you bottom out below where your target is, then you've got a little wiggle room.  Having said that, sometimes your goal needs to be reevaluated.  I had a goal of 135 based on what I weighed 30+ years ago, but by the time I hit 145 I was smaller than I was at 120 back in the dark ages.  No idea how that works, but I have the old jeans (Calvins from the early 80's in case any one remembers those days) to prove it - lol.  My new goal is to keep it under 150 for life (which I promptly have failed at by 6 lbs but am determined to fix). 

Hang in there, and good luck!! :)

animlzrule
on 5/7/16 9:19 pm

Hi there :) I haven't even had surgery (yet) but wanted to offer some support. I have a friend who began a weight loss program through weigh****chers about 1.5 years ago, and recently passed her 150 lb weight loss mark. Her weight loss as time goes on is more like a matter of increments of a pound per week or every couple of weeks. She did tell me she started to feel very frustrated and so she made an appointment with a nutritionist, and like you, she was also instructed to increase her caloric intake. And also, she said she was told to start eating almonds (I don't remember the specifics regarding the almonds, increased protein maybe)  Within a couple of weeks her weight loss totals were again being measured in pounds. Maybe 1-2 pounds, which is pretty solid that far out into a lifestyle/eating change.  Other than that, I just want to say that I'm pulling for you, and please give yourself credit for all of the hard work you've done thus far. Don't give up!!!! Stalls are very common, and very frustrating. You're not alone! :)

mmsmom
on 5/8/16 4:43 am - Woburn, MA

I got to 1.6 lbs from goal and had the hardest time losing it.  when i stopped obsessing about it - it came off - and another 4 lbs.  Easier said than done

VSG on 04/28/2014

Most Active