I don't know how to get the protein without the shakes...

Hkinzfnp
on 4/3/16 5:33 pm

I am a bit over 7 months post op.  Literally the only food that I don't tolerate is dry turkey.  Have never had issues with anything else.  Most days I land between 700-800ish calories.  My nutritionist wants minimum 65 grams of protein but I try to get closer to 80.  My question...I would like to be able to just eat meals some days but I am still relying on at least a shake a day.  How do those of you who eat all "real" food get the recommended protein? 

Donna L.
on 4/3/16 5:43 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

3.5 ounces of sirloin has about 28g of protein and around 170 calories.  The same for turkey.  It's pretty easy to get protein in if you eat meat first.  You could do it if you had 3 ounces of meat 3x a day.  I basically eat almost no veggies at this point to get my protein in.  I still do have one shake a day, though, or a light string cheese if my protein is low at the end of the day.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

luvmypuggies
on 4/3/16 7:35 pm

Greek yogurt is a good source, bu****ch the sugar.  I like Dannon Light and Fit Greek Yogurt (coconut flavor is yummy) which has 80 calories and 12g protein.  It's a nice evening snack/dessert to top off the protein needs.  I never used to like yogurt, but this one tastes really good to me.  

TerriLMac
on 4/3/16 8:03 pm

I'm 5 months out and I still have a shake every day for breakfast.  Even though I now can probably get in 70 grams of protein every day without it, it has become a habit for me and I like them!  I still can't eat a lot of protein at one meal (maybe 3 oz except for shrimp which I can eat 4 or 5 oz) because I get so full.  But my diet is 95% protein now, so I could probably cut out the shake.  My nutritionist has told me that she wants me to get my protein from food eventually and not from my daily shake, but I see her on Wednesday and plan to ask her about it again because I do like them for breakfast and I'm not a big breakfast eater traditionally.

Terri

acbbrown
on 4/3/16 8:13 pm - Granada Hills, CA

You got some good answers above. I personally don't see any problem with keeping shake around for protein as long as they aren't loaded with carbs/sugar...I can see why some docs don't want people to drink their calories but shakes aren't just empty calories. I'm 5 yrs out and still drink shakes to get my protein up - on days I exercise I aim for at least 100g and a good 30g shake really helps. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

happyteacher
on 4/4/16 7:54 am

Are you still biking a lot??

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

acbbrown
on 4/4/16 9:08 am - Granada Hills, CA

Nope. My back doesn't like being on the bike much :(

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

GoBlueGirl1998
on 4/4/16 7:33 am - MI

I understand how shakes are helpful for getting your protein in, however as soon as I was cleared for full foods I gave up the shakes. I choose to get my protein via food. I would start by checking out the "what are you eating today" posts to get an idea of what others are eating. I can consume 60 - 80 grams of protein a day by eating cottage cheese, greek yogurt, cheese, meat, eggs. My body doesn't know what time it is.....for instance today I had a piece of leftover turkey loaf for breakfast. 

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

happyteacher
on 4/4/16 7:52 am

I would have protein at every meal/snack. I would also try to stick to the higher protein options, and if eating carbs then even the carbs would have protein. (I.e. beans). Green leafy veggies and low glycemic fruit were staples, but the protein was always eaten first and if room left those items added. I still regulaly do shakes though, but not usually ever more than 1 per day unless I am having stomach issues. Over the course of a week if not working I would have only a few, but during the work week 1 a day was the norm. During the weight loss phase, 1-2 a day was the norm. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

michellemj
on 4/4/16 8:24 am

Like the others, I see nothing wrong w a daily protein shake, provided it is low in carbs/sugar. I'm over 5yrs out and still have a shake after a long run as I can't eat food for a few hours (just not hungry).

Eat protein first, and if there's room, then veggies (low carb ones). Chicken, fish, beef are all great choices, no need to try to stomach turkey if you can't. and for snacks, reach for an hard boiled egg (80cal, 6g of protein).

Most Active