What causes the nausea?

Kathy2852
on 3/27/16 6:03 am - NJ
VSG on 03/29/16

I have been seeing a lot of posts about nausea after surgery. I have had more operations than I care to remember and as long as I give the anesthesiologist the heads up, nausea is no a problem. Will it be a problem this time? Surgery is Tuesday. 

(deactivated member)
on 3/27/16 10:19 am

With gastric surgery you are dealing with two things: the side effects of anesthesia and the fact that your stomach has been cut into, which often causes severe nausea in some patients. 

Most surgeons are proactive and order excellent anti nausea meds before you even awaken from surgery. I had absolutely no nausea whatsoever. I had incisional pain only. No deep internal pain, no nausea, no nothing! Even the gas pain was fairly minimal. 

go in and hope for the best, but be prepared to deal with the worst. That's the best advice I can offer. I honestly think a super positive attitude goes a long way in helping your recovery. 

Kathy2852
on 3/27/16 1:39 pm - NJ
VSG on 03/29/16

Thank you!

Sandra F.
on 3/28/16 6:09 am

I was super nauseous after surgery and also a bit nauseous for the entire first month after surgery.  I discovered that the nausea that occurred further from surgery was caused by dehydration, so sip, sip, and sip some more.  The nausea that was caused right after surgery was due to the gas and anesthesia, like the previous poster said.  Good luck to you!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 135 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views