I need to "reboot" but cannot seem to make this happen

brownblonde
on 3/15/16 12:50 pm

The best thing about having the sleeve was that, at least initially, it was there to protect me, even when my willpower had given way.  My sleeve is still decently restrictive when I'm eating like I'm supposed to--but snacking and bad food choices have caused me to regain 10lbs. when what I really wanted to do was lose another 15!  

I'm finding it so hard to just begin again.  I want to go back to a pretty protein-forward eating plan, at least initially to get rid of the carb and hunger monster.  But There's always something going on.  I recall it feeling this way before WLS.  I know it's excuse after excuse but nothing seems to be the right time.  We're having a large party at our house this weekend.  Then it's Easter.  Then my husband is having surgery and I want to cook yummy comfort food for him!  I know this sounds bananas.  But when I try to set my foot down now, especially if it means deprivation at a time when others are indulging (ie Easter), I feel really deprived and have a harder time sticking.  Please tell me there is some solution!  Will I ever be able to stop regain and not feel miserable doing it?  Any any tips, recipes, blogs, etc. are much appreciated.

mmsmom
on 3/15/16 12:56 pm - Woburn, MA

I think it's 90% mental and 10% food at this point and I understand your struggle - if you are good mostof the time and indulge during those one-off events, you should make progress...we can't go back to that all or nothing mentality - because we know where that gets us.

Good luck!

VSG on 04/28/2014

acbbrown
on 3/15/16 12:57 pm - Granada Hills, CA

I've struggled like a B$@^*. I finally found OA and miraculously seem to be able to abstain from the crap that led to regain. I am totally abstinent from all flour, sugar, and a number of other problem foods and the cravings are gone and it's easy to resist other crap. Maybe look into OA?

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

amrmedictmmy
on 3/17/16 10:05 pm
VSG on 03/31/16

What is OA?

Kathy S.
on 3/15/16 1:58 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi,

You have already taken the hardest step by saying enough is enough and now I want to get back on track.  Here are some steps I hope will help you. Getting back to the basics is key.  I had RNY but I think these help us all they are helping me...  Also, be sure and join the Back On Track Together group

Planning/Preparing

Remember when we were preparing for surgery?  How many meetings, classes and such did we attend?  We were told the more prepared we were the better our chances were for success.  And they were right. Go through the house, car and work place and get rid of trigger foods.  Stock up on foods that will keep you on track. I removed every bad carb/sugar temptation and replaced it with lots of protein, veggies, grains and fruits.

Journaling

Get back to journaling.  This will help you identify when you feel like eating, stress factors and any triggers in your life.  Once you identify these factors, this will help you put tools in place to keep you from eating.  It became clear I was not taking time for me anymore. I worked my day job and then spent the rest of my time caring for my husband.  It was easy to reach for fast, prepackaged food.  Since I purged my home I have to eat clean as there are no other options LOL

Use a tool to track you're eating and exercise like Getting Started with Health Tracker.  Once I started to track ever bite and drink it became clear why I had gained.

Goals/Rewards

Make a list of goals for yourself.  Make them realistic and small.  Some of mine were move more, purge all junk from my home, eat more protein.

Food

In general, a long term post-weight loss surgery eating plan includes foods that are high in protein, and low in fat?, calories, and sugar. Important, vitamins and minerals are provided as supplements. (if you had a different surgery adjust this to your food plan).

Water

Water is our Best Friend. I have to say I never went back to pop or any bad drinks, however I was drinking tea like crazy. What is wrong with drinking tea?  I was either using sugar or 3 equals and 3 sweet n lows per 32 ounce glass.  So I was either pushing to be diabetic or get cancer.  I found once I started carrying a bottle of water around 24/7 (yes had one at my bedside) I lost the cravings for the sugar and I KNOW those artificial sweeteners are not good for me. Look I am old and if you add up all the artificial sweeteners I have consumed I am sure I am at the rat in the lab getting cancer threshold.

MOVE!

I can't say enough about how key this was for me. The reason I kept my weight off for almost 10 years was no matter what, I kept moving.  If I could not go to the gym I would walk. I loved Zumba, bootcamp workouts, lifting weights. When I stopped, the weight started coming back.  So for me I am starting slow to avoid injury by walking and using some of the workouts on my Demand TV.  Find something you love to do and it won't feel like a pain in the *** to do daily.

Support

If it's an option "run" don't walk to a support group.

Keep me posted on how you are doing

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

White Dove
on 3/15/16 3:13 pm - Warren, OH

There is only one way to make it happen.  You have to face reality and accept that you are not and never will be cured of obesity.

The easy and fast weight loss that followed surgery will never happen again.  Your body is recovering from being starved.  It will hope on to weight and use its calories more effrctivivly than before.

I can lose a pound a week if I do a strict 900 calories a day. To lose 10 pounds means 10 weeks of no deviating from my calorie count.  I either get the Joy of Eating or the Joy of Being at Goal.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Grim_Traveller
on 3/15/16 4:30 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Right? You can't have everything -- where would you keep it?

We literally cannot have our cake and eat it too. Choices, choices.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

happyteacher
on 3/15/16 3:58 pm

Just a couple thoughts-

No need to feel deprived at events. Typically at an Easter meal there would be some decent protein and veggie choices, just avoid the crappy choices. If you want a dessert, just plan the calories into the daily total for the day. Same thing with going out to eat, and all of those other distractions that are continually popping up. Try to think about how much better you feel healthier than you ever will from eating that piece/slice etc. of whatever. 

Just checking about the hunger- carbs can cause that, but so can acid. If you notice that relatively shortly after eating you feel hungry again try a PPI. A good one. I didn't have acid issues at first post-sleeve, but it grew increasingly worse. I eventually gained a little above goal weight before I was diagnosed with the reflux and most of my stomach being herniated. Not saying you have all of that going on, but acid can do that to you. 

Other snippets that might be helpful- get yourself in a support group and surround yourself with other folks actively working on reducing their weight. Sometimes watching the newbies go through that initial weight loss phase can be very inspiring!

Let go of that negative emotion- it will get you one step closer to getting a handle on things, but may very likely cause it to get worse. Stay positive, one choice at a time. Be gentle with yourself and you might be amazed at how much easier it is to stay on plan! And of course, weigh and track everything, protien forward, no processed carbs, stick to foods low on the glycemic index, etc. I do have a blog post somewhere in my stuff that outlines what I do to get back on track. Feel free to peruse. Good luck!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/15/16 4:30 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Party at your house? Have bruschetta skewers and sparkling water.

Easter? Ham and hard-boiled eggs are pure protein.

Husband wants comfort food? Pot roast and vegetable soup.

You can make excuses, or you can find ways to make things work. The choice is yours.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

cappy11448
on 3/16/16 12:08 am

Yes, rebooting is hard.  I find I have to make tasty low-carb and low-cal foods so I always have good alternatives in the house.  So I can tell myself, "no, you can't have that pizza, but you can have some chicken Florentine, or spaghetti squash casserole, or crack slaw, or ..."  I hate feeling deprived, but I've found a lot of really tasty healthy foods that keep me satisfied while losing weight.  It takes some effort but it is so worth while.

I also have to stay low carb, or its all over for me.  When that carb monster kicks in, its very hard to resist the junk food. 

Best of luck,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 267 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views