The gallbladder that ruined Thanksgiving...

lowbrass03
on 11/26/15 9:14 am, edited 11/26/15 9:15 am - houston, TX
VSG on 05/17/12

So a couple of weeks ago after leaving school, I get home to take my usual nap. I wake up because I was having discomfort, as if I was bloated. I sit up and the pain just got worst, a dull radiating pain. I never get pains in my abdomen, so I said "ER, here I come!" 

I went to one of the free standing minor emergency rooms the hospital I work for has around the city. I was there for two hours flat, labs and ultrasound and was told I had a gallbladder full of stones. My pain was never excruciating, and actually by the time I got to the ER it was gone. But word of advice, never second guess or ignore any abdominal pain after your gut has been messed with surgically. So the ER doctoer said the gallbladder should come out but it did not need to come out right that second.

I opted to go to my surgeon (who did my VSG) and he scheduled me for surgery this Friday. Yup Black Friday! 

The suckie part is that since Monday, everything I eat makes me nauseous. And just makes me feel crappy over all. So I won't be enjoying any of the delicious thanksgiving food.

Well hope everyone their Thanksgiving, and listen to your gut! 

happyteacher
on 11/26/15 11:57 am

Hang in there. I have been dealing with the same thing since August, and just had the ultra sound yesterday. I am not sure of the results yet, but certainly it is the identical symptoms you describe so I really do feel for you. When I have it flare up, I automatically now switch to a liquid diet. Maybe today just avoid the high fat stuff- that will trigger it for sure. I know I am looking forward to the veggies and lean turkey, and I don't mind skipping the items that will make it flare. I wish you well, and I hope your surgury goes well on Friday. Take good care of yourself!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

lowbrass03
on 11/26/15 12:38 pm - houston, TX
VSG on 05/17/12

Thanks, hope you get some answers and relief soon. Happy thanksgiving day to you. 

Billy D.
on 11/26/15 2:56 pm

Sorry to hear. My surgeon prescribed a bile acid drug called Ursodiol to prevent this from happening. I heard that a high percent of bariatric surgery patients get them or anyone losing weight rapidly. I had kidney stones and can tell you they really sucked at least gallstones don't come out that same route..lol!  Hope all goes well. 

psychoticparrot
on 11/26/15 7:29 pm

Look at the bright side -- you didn't have to worry about eating too much of the wrong foods on Thanksgiving. 

Good luck with your surgery. From what I've read on this site, it's a piece of cake compared with the sleeve.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

(deactivated member)
on 11/27/15 12:34 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

Hope everything goes well for you today! Were you taking ursodiol at all? My gallbladder has been gone since I was a teenager, but our doc put my husband on it, claiming that taking it for 6 mos post-WLS reduces the chance of needing a cholecystectomy from 30% to 2%. I'm still worried about him though because he's lost over 100 lbs in the first 6 months post-VSG!

lowbrass03
on 11/27/15 4:56 pm - houston, TX
VSG on 05/17/12

Wow that is awesome weight loss for your husband, and I hope he doesn't have issues. I wasn't on any meds post op. The surgeons I researched and talked to the first time I attempted to have WLS, all removed the gallbladder at the same time as the WLS. 

So when I actually had my VSG, I actually wanted my gallbladder out but my surgeon did not do this in his practice.

thanks for your well wishes, I was home by noon. Sore and drowsy, but overall in good shape.

(deactivated member)
on 11/27/15 6:09 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

Glad you're doing well! Rest up, and enjoy the fact that it at least can't give you any more problems.

lowbrass03
on 11/27/15 5:01 pm - houston, TX
VSG on 05/17/12

Thanks to everyone for the well wishes. Surgery went great. Got there at 6am, was home by noon. 

I al sore, drowsy and a little dizzy. But overall I am ok. 

Crazy because I was in 0 discomfort for my VSG, so today's discomfort was a surprise. But I'll get over it.

Again, thanks! Hope everyone had a happy thanksgiving and a great weekend. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 158 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 430 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 449 views