Need advice on a few things

Sunshine411
on 11/17/15 12:57 pm

I'm two months post op and on a full diet...no restrictions...lol...with that being said all foods are ok according to Dr. However, I know from nut protein comes first then veggies.  My question is I really don't know what I can eat n what not to..since I can have e erything.  Can I eat a salad with egg,cheese, n low fat dressing?  Can I have crackers if I count calories with cheese?  Can I have a hamburger without the bread!  I'm not sure whT to eat besides lean meat at every meal 1-2.5 oz n getting tired of turkey,tuna, n fish.

I walk about 20 minutes five days a week never been much of an exercise person but am I doing enOugh at this time frame?  I want to start lifting weights for arm flab to tighten but not sure how much to lift,what type of lifting to do or how many reps or time to do it?

i know people refer to first six months as a honeymoon phase meaning you lose quicker I assume but in order to do that do you ever start eating a balanced meal again?  Or just protein,protein,protein n maybe if room a veggie?

i still drink a shake once a day sometimes twice...am hitting 60 proteins a day do I ever get more?  WhT should be my limit on calories n carbs per day?  Currently I don't count carbs dr said not to why I don't know he said don't count calories either but I do and usually fall between 600-750 a day,however, I was doing 500-650 should I cut back?  I know your body if it isn't getting enough stores fat n causes no wt loss so far I'm still losing but not sure ifpts as good as it could be..I had surgery sept 15 n am down 30 pounds not great but good...wondering if it should be better?  

FuturePinUp
on 11/17/15 1:28 pm

If you're having issues figuring out what to eat, I recommend you look through the daily meal threads on here, and maybe even meet with a nutritionist who specializes in bariatric patients. While plans differ, the protein first, then veggies rule is pretty spot-on until goal, but that doesn't mean being boring! There are so many sites out there with recipes for low-carb eating that you can scale down to smaller portions! Some of the things I have regularly are bacon wrapped egg-cups, taco meat (ground beef topped with shredded cheddar with a dollop of sour cream and salsa), bun-less burgers with cheese, pork chops, grilled chicken cordon bleu, ricotta bake, chicken-crust pizza, no-carb meatloaf, and SO much more! Prioritizing protein doesn't HAVE to meat 2-3oz of a cut of meat then a tiny side of veggies.

My doctor's goal for me was to try to prioritize getting protein from food, and to get rid of the shakes as soon as I was able to hit over 60g of protein a day from food alone. Once I started doing that, the rest fell into place. As far as carbs, typically you want to be under 45g to maximize weight loss. For calories, I wasn't really given a guideline, but at 2 months, I was eating 700-800 a day. At almost 5 months out, I'm at 800-900 and I plan on staying here until goal, or until I stop losing at a rate I'm happy with. My current diet IS my forever diet.

Also,you don't have to worry about stalling if you go down in calories, as that whole "starvation mode" thing is a myth. 30 lbs. in two months is nothing to frown at. People lose at different speeds based on starting weight, how close you're sticking to plan etc.

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

happyteacher
on 11/17/15 3:31 pm

Don't compare rate loss to others- milege will vary by person. Do follow your plan, and if this occurs you will lose. Sounds simple, but be prepared to do it for the long haul. It will become routine for you and not to tough to do. Calories- you are doing fine in that range, assuming you are accurate though. I didn't see you mention anything about weighing and logging everything you eat. There are so many times we eat far more than we realize calorically speaking. If you are not doing that, start. Carbs- most here keep it under 40. I was higher during the weight loss phase, and try to keep it a little lower now- but not below 40. At the very least stay away from refined processed carbs and derive them from green leafty veggies, fruit low on the glycemic index, and just a touch of whole grain rarely. Yes, you can do more than 60 grams of protein a day. I did use a shake or 2 a day all through the weight loss phase, and still use them every so often now. 

2 months out- you likely can eat most anything. I would still avoid seeds, popcorn, etc. Salad can be hard for some to stomach so tread lightly there. I was able to at that point. Better to eat your protein first and maybe just try some cooked veggies (non starchy type). Take it slow. 

If you lose 15 pounds a month for 6 months that is 90 pounds- pretty significant. This is a long game mindest, not play-by-play.  If you can exercise more, do it- it only helps you more. Weight lifting, start easy and ramp up. Be sure to take your vitamins. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

psychoticparrot
on 11/17/15 6:21 pm

You can vary your protein -- add eggs, tofu, and beans for variety. Eat your protein first, as always. Then a bit of cooked or raw vegetable. Keep away from leafy greens, broccoli, and other high-fiber vegs for a while. Try a bit of peeled cucumber, cooked green beans, and other tender vegetables.

This -- protein first, then veg, maybe fruit -- this is your balanced meal from now on. You need to stay away from or indulge very rarely in sugary things, anything made from flour (including crackers), and other highly processed empty calories. Whole grains and starchy vegetables can be occasional indulgences. 

This is strictly my own opinion, but I would wean myself off the protein shakes. They're great for when you're healing, but they're not good for ordinary, everyday use. They have too many chemicals and not enough nutrition. Eat real, whole foods instead. Again, just sayin' is all.

Frisco has turned the sleeve diet into an art form. Check out his site for many delicious, sleeve-friendly ideas.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Amy M.
on 11/17/15 6:32 pm - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

Did you get a packet from your NUT containing what types of foods to eat 1 month out - 2 months out - 6+ months out?  Even though you are technically able to eat "anything" doesn't mean you should.  Obviously, plans vary from person to person, but mine called for lean protein, then veggies, low sugar, low carb.  My surgeon recommended no red meat for at least 6 months post op, and no white carbs (bread, crackers, rice, etc) at ALL!  I basically lived off of chicken, ground turkey, eggs, tuna, greek yogurt, and string cheese for 9 months post op.  I would recommend waiting a while before eating a salad as you want to make sure you are getting your protein in and not filling up on lettuce.

I wasn't a big exercise person either.  I bought a fitbit and gave myself a goal to get in 10,000 steps a day.  I usually try to get in my steps throughout my work day but if I'm falling short I'll hop on the treadmill in the evening and just wal****il I hit my goal.  I also bought myself some 3lb, 5lb, and 8lb handweights to do some beachbody workout programs such as 21 day fix when I got farther out to help me tone up.  The programs are great because they have the "beginner" versions of each exercise alongside the "advanced" versions for you to work up to.

It's my understanding that the "honeymoon phase" can last up to around 12-18 months.  During this time you do tend to lose weight quicker because your body has kicked into overdrive to burn fat due to ketosis.  Eating protein, protein, protein is the best way to take advantage of this time while it lasts.  We all miss carbs, but right now your main focus is protein and water.

At 2 months out I probably took in around 600 calories, 60-80g of protein, and less than 30g of carbs.  I found I couldn't eat enough regular food at that point to completely stop drinking my protein shakes.  I drank 1 protein shake a day until I was around 6 months post op.  Even now I'll have an evening protein shake if I didn't get enough protein in throughout the day.

30 lbs in 2 months is great progress! Remember it's not a race, just continue to follow your plan and the weight will come off.  It sounds like you are doing the right things, just remember PROTEIN!!!  If you get bored eating the same foods then try new recipes.  The daily "What did you eat today?" thread on here has some really great ideas.

diane S.
on 11/17/15 8:13 pm

hope you are being advised by a dietician. if not, my doc advised 70 g protein a day, no more than 40 g carbs , and 600 to 700 calories per day.  I found that if i got the protein in and stayed away from all starches, stuff pretty much fell into place. hard to get veggies early on because there is no room and still depended on protein shakes.  just get used to eating less and don't push your sleeve. good luck. you can get there. diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

cappy11448
on 11/18/15 3:51 am

I found that I needed variety in my meals or I'd be tempted to eat the forbidden foods. I also found that to eat healthy, I had to cook.  Prepared foods have too many carbs and calories.  So ironically, I cook more now than when I was eating much more.

I've posted a bunch of my favorite recipes in the recipe thread.  I'd suggest looking there for ideas.

Basically, my strategy is to eat 4 ounces of meat and a serving of low carb veggies every meal.  (I'm in maintenance, so you may want to eat less in ounces.) I make meals like chicken and broccoli, or crack slaw (ground beef and cabbage), spinach lasagna, chicken with sun-dried tomatoes and summer squash, stuffed peppers, etc  This keeps me feeling satisfied, so I can stick with the program.  It takes a commitment of time and planning, but health is important.

best of luck,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 277 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views