One Year Appointment

wyo_sarah
on 11/13/15 1:38 pm

Actually, I went to my one year appointment 3.5 months late...so I'm actually 15.5 months post op.  First of all, he walked in the room and asked me if I was eating real food and if I was vomiting.  I assured him that I eat just find and have no problem keeping it down.  (We had this same conversation 5 months ago.)  At first, I'm pretty sure he didn't believe me.  He said that I'm very thin and on the bell curve of sleeve patients I'm on the far right.  But, when looking at my labs, all of which were perfect, he said it is obvious that I'm not vomiting my food, so as long as I felt good, he was satisfied.  I had also had a bone density scan which showed osteopenia in my lower back.  He said that my labs showed my body is getting calcium from food and vitamins and not from my bones, so that isn't something to worry about either.  He said to continue taking my vitamins and to do some weight bearing exercises the strengthen the core and that will help with the osteopenia.  Other than that, everything is great.  I also asked him about having a baby.  We would like to have another one (but I have to get my tubal ligation reversed first) and he said that wouldn't be a problem, and that for me it might actually be good since I could stand to gain a little weight.

Just wanted to let you all know.  Thank you for your support!

samanthalc
on 11/13/15 3:52 pm
with

Congrats, sounds like great news all around. Best of luck on your journey to pregnancy!

How light are you these days, if you don't mind me asking?

Also, I'm interested in the comment that you're getting calcium from food.  I thought labs couldn't distinguish between calcium leaching from the bones versus food.  Do you know how you can tell?  That's an important thing for me....

wyo_sarah
on 11/13/15 4:01 pm

I am maintaining between 140 and 145.  I don't mind anyone asking, ever!

I'm not sure how he told, but the doc said he could tell from my labs that I was getting my calcium from food and not from my bones.  I wish I had more information for you.

Shel25
on 11/13/15 4:35 pm

I think a normal PTH strongly suggests that the body isn't robbing the bones for calcium.  So, if you PTH was checked, that may have been it. 

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

samanthalc
on 11/13/15 5:08 pm
with

Thanks to you both, I'll have to look into this!

animallover1247
on 11/13/15 6:11 pm

Yyo_sarah

I don't think a doctor telling me I look too thin will EVER happen in my lifetime :)  I've seen a few people post the question are they afraid they will lose too much weight and dwindle down to nothing. I have to laugh so hard because that concept is so foreign to me! 

Can you tell me how much weight you have lost since your surgery? Do you think you look thin? 

wyo_sarah
on 11/16/15 7:55 am

I have lost 120 lbs since surgery, about 135 from my highest weight about 5 years ago. I don't think I look too thin. I had some people comment that I did last spring, but I think it was more because they were used to seeing me fat and my appearance now is kind of foreign.

animallover1247
on 11/16/15 5:05 pm

Yes, you are right, I think that's what it is. We have a local Judge in our city who had WLS and lost 150 lbs. My coworker always comes back and  says how "sick he looks." I don't think he looks sick, he has some structure to his face and can see some bone, quite different than before. It's a shame you work so hard and people have to comment on how bad you look. I wonder what they are going to be saying about me?????

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 62 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 62 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 241 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 309 views