Almost Tossed my COOKIES (if I had eaten any) During Workout

suzyq584
on 11/13/15 7:29 am

Hi everyone,

A couple of quick up dates....I weighed today (still haven't given that scale to my sister but at least it's moving again) and was 241.8.  I am VERY close to the 230's somewhere I haven't been in I can't even remember how long.  I am also close to being down a total of 40lbs since I started this journey (including pre-op diet).

I have upped my workout routine as well and would like some advice although I think I know the answer...

Most mornings I walk 1.5 miles.  I have added fitness classes and working with a trainer.  I had my first training session yesterday and almost threw up!  I think I overdid it.  I was so scared of throwing up!  Not only would it have been embarrassing but I was terrified of hurting my stomach!  (Surgery date 10/08/15)

My plan is to modify, modify, modify the routine my trainer wants me to do and talk to her honestly about why I have to modify.  Not only am I not a skinny little thing (YET!) who can throw myself down on the ground then hop up onto my feet instantly (yes...that is what she had me trying to do!) but I am just over a month out of surgery.  My calorie intake is also very limited (800 cals a day) and I think that may be contributing to my exhaustion.  I just don't want her to think I'm coming up with excuses to not work hard.  I do want her to keep pushing me but I'm simply not going to be able to keep up and do some of the things she may expect.

Anyway...any additional thoughts are welcomed!

Age: 42 | Height: 5'9 | Surgery Date: 10/08/15 | Starting Weight: 279.2 | Surgery Weight: 266 | Goal Weight:165 | Current Weight: 224.8 | WL so far: 54.4 lbs

White Dove
on 11/13/15 9:18 am - Warren, OH

Your trainers job is to get you out of your comfort zone.  You will be amazed at what you actually are able to do.  800 calories a day is fine.  It means your body will burn excess fat to get the energy it needs. 

People do throw up during workouts.  You won't damage your stomach and nobody will be surprised.  It is nothing to be embarrassed about.

Discuss your concerns with the trainer but remember that you are paying her to change your body.

Don't give your scale away until you have a new one.  Make friends with the scale.  It will give you honest feedback and it will be fun to watch your weight continue to go down.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Gwen M.
on 11/13/15 10:05 am
VSG on 03/13/14

So here's the deal.  If your trainer is working you to the point you want to throw up on your first session, your trainer is a BAD TRAINER and you should run away as quickly as you can.  

You first session (AT LEAST) should be about assessments and figuring out your goals and abilities, before creating a plan that will work best for you.  A plan that will work best for you is, clearly, not one that has you "throw[ing] myself down on the ground then hop[ping] up onto my feet instantly."  Does she not know that you've just had surgery?  Does she not understand that you've been sedentary before and exercise is a new thing for you?  

ARGH.  Trainers like this really damage the field, and clients.  It's super aggravating to read about.  Do you know what certifications she has?  There's a huge difference between pushing someone with client-appropriate exercises and pushing the person to the point where they want to puke at their first session.

Please, find a different trainer.  This one is dangerous.   

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

psychoticparrot
on 11/13/15 2:00 pm

What is wrong with your trainer? Does she hate unfit and/or overweight people?

Sometimes, people who have always been fit, like your trainer, simply do not understand what it's like to be unfit and overweight. They often think that if you just throw yourself into a routine, you'll eventually adjust to it. That may be true, but at what cost to you?

Personally, I would give up that trainer and find one who has experience working with people who are unfit and have just had surgery. My surgeon has two physiotherapists on his team with whom I had sessions before and after surgery. Their approach is to build up your exercise routine slowly. Pushing yourself is okay, but only if the pushing is gentle. If it leaves you exhausted and wanting to hurl, it's too much. You could hurt yourself with what you're doing now.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

(deactivated member)
on 11/14/15 12:44 pm
VSG on 08/15/15 with

Don't necessarily pull the plug on your trainer yet, but yes, definitely tell them about your surgery. I have been working with the same trainer for 2 years, 2-3 times per week, and I let him know about my surgery and he modified my sessions for the following month. We had great communication as to when something pulled too much on my abs as they healed, and when I was adjusting my new diet and would get nauseous or light headed. 

But there is no shame in wanting to hurl during your session, and does not mean your trainer is horrible or should be written off. I wanted to puke/pass out during my assessment 2 years ago, and have probably had that same feeling during a very tough workout about 5 times over the last 2 years. Sometimes it's just from not breathing correctly. 

Im currently training for my first Spartan Race, and as I'm climbing over obstacles, running 5 miles, and lifting over 100 lbs, I'm sure I'll want to toss my cookies too.... Remember Live outside your comfort zone, that is how you change. 

Congrats on your NSVs, progress, and for getting in a workout groove!!!!! 

BankerBethany
on 11/17/15 5:17 am
VSG on 04/11/16

I agree with Alex on the above post. Talk with your trainer- be very open and honest with them. They are on your "team"! If they don't listen then you need to find a new trainer.

I worked with a trainer for the entire year in 2014 and there were definitely times that I wanted or could have thrown up. But the experience was amazing and I learned so much from my trainer, she became one of my friends and one of my biggest cheerleaders! She wasn't shy about pushing me and showing me I can do more then what my mind wants me to think I can do. I found if I pushed through the mental block the reward was so exhilarating and intoxicating that I couldn't wait for me next session!!!

Good luck- hope you find a balance in your training sessions!

Kathy S.
on 11/17/15 8:29 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Congratulations on your 40 pounds lost!!!!

This is a personal "thing" but I like to push myself.  You are the expert in deciding what is best for you.  

I will never forget my first few days at bootcamp.  Keep in mind I coined the phase couch potato  and I was further out than you.

I would go to the side, throw up, suck down some water and get back to it.  I stuck it out and was AMAZED at what this former pillsbury dough girl body could do.  

Adjust, but challenge!  Keep us posted on how you are doing

Regards,

Kathy

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active